Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C (GSR) or H22

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C (GSR) or H22

Hi, im pretty new to these forums, Ive done a search on this, but didnt really find what I was looking for.

Im stuck between choosing a GSR or H22 for my hatch back (eg).

The only thing thats holding me back from getting a H22 is all these posts I see about axle problems. I want a fast car, but at the same time I want a reliable one.

Just looking for opinions on which you would rather get

Plan on doing the swap pretty soon, just need to make up my mind on which motor to get.. At the moment, im leaning towards GSR

Thx..

Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C (GSR) or H22 (Jahtoot84)

I'm biased, I have an h22 eg.........I say go for it, I hav'nt had any axle probs, been runnin on accord inner/integra outer for over 2 years on about a 2" drop..BUT if you really think you don't want to take the plunge(it's not THAT bad) b18c1 is always a good choice..........I personally have never driven or ridden in a b18c of any kind so I can't compare but I can say the H22 has an awesome power/torque band for an NA 4cyl(especially for a street car).................John.......btw, justto tempt you.....13.4 @104 with just I/H/E
Old 01-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: B18C (h22John)

Where you using Drag Radial when you ran that time?

Also, you never had a problem with the boot rippin or any binding when makin turns??

thx for ur advice John..
Old 01-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C (Jahtoot84)

the time was on falken azenis with too much neg. camber(not a drag tire at all but still seen some good 60ft times from them) I should have also noted that the car is tuned also............no probs with binding as of yet, I figure I've been a little lucky but also I think the axle thing is blown slightly out of proportion........right now is a tough time to be debating between h22 vs b18c1 vs b18c5 because the b-series has much better aftermarket support and shorter gearing, BUT now the h22 is starting to get some aftermarket love with some really killer products, and a few people are talking about making an adapter to mate the h22 with the b-series trannies. Another option is to find a euro-r tranny which has shorter gearing and will bolt up, not sure if it has lsd though and theyre prob pretty hard to come by, but don't quote me on that............just do your research, and whatever you decide, good luck to you...............John...................btw I have Hasport mounts, which may or may not affect the axle problem by the way it makes the engine "sit" in relation to the axles/angles. But I do have a friend who has had a prob with an aftermarket stage 2 axle running hasport, but hes also runing close to 400hp.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 PM

I have owned both B18C1 & currently a H22 there is no comparison between the two. H22 hands down is a better motor out of the box. There are a few thing I do dislike about the H22 it's after market support isn't as abundant as a B18C1. You have to sleeve to add after market piston and rods because of the FRM. I also have Hasport mounts Teg axles with Accord intermediate shaft no problems at all with the axles. B18C1 and H22 motor both will have the occasional boot rip more than often it is due to ride height of the car.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18C (GSR) or H22 (Jahtoot84)

I have also had both and it just depends on your budget and know how. If you're new to swaps, the H might be a little over whelming. The price of H series motors are definitely cheaper than B series, but once you add up everything to complete the H correctly, you might as well stick with the B series. I would say go with the B series. Tons of after market support and it's a very straight forward swap. However, my H series civic runs a full second faster than my b series, not to mention all of the torque!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22John &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">13.4 @104 with just I/H/E</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good times, I was on your heels with the 99 B18C1 in my 92 VX. I ran a best time of 13.7 @ 102.3mph. That was 100% completely stock motor - only mods were DC 4-1 header, Injen short intake, JUN cam gears, JUN flywheel and Exedy clutch, custom 2.25" exhaust with ES oval, tuned with a VAFC. Rear interior was gutted and I was running on Azenis also. I've boosted it since but haven't ran it yet, I will be this coming spring.
If I were back to a stock car I wouldn't hesitate to an H22 either, both it and the B18C1 have enough potential that it's really a toss up. Do you want a bolt in swap that feels really natural and fits like stock or do you want to give up a little comfort with stiffer mounts and do a little chassis modding? Puts on flame suit to prepare for H22 heads
Out of the box, you're going to have more hp and a very noticeable amount of torque over the B18C1 which is a good thing in the Honda world. I just bought a 98 EK hatch last week and I'm very tempted to do an H22...
Old 01-22-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: B18C (VTECVillain)

Thanks for all the advice guys. My first plan was to go H22, but ive been hearing soooo much nightmares about the axle's and stuff.. My car is lowered atm, but is has a good 3 Fingers space between the front wheels ( I didnt drop it too much since I was planning on going H22). Also, having no AC isnt a problem for me, I never really use AC, unless im carrying around a chick or something.

The h22 I like alot, ive driven a H22 in an accord, man the torque on that thing is a killa for N/A car. Ive also driven a GSR hatch, was nothing compared the H22 torque wise..... Its a real hard decision.. As I said, the only thing holding me back from h22 is this axle thing...

If I were to go H22, what shocks would you guys recommend.. And also, should I get some coil overs so I could raise my car if im having booting rippin or binding problems??

Thanks for all the advice!

***Ill post pics of my car when I learn how to and get the chance to show you the ride height atm***

Modified by Jahtoot84 at 4:48 PM 1/22/2004
Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The whole axel issue is such a toss up. I used the HASport mounts and the 90-93 Integra axles like they said to use. Within a month my passengers side was binding and knocking through turns. It lasted almost a year and a half until it finally let go at the drag strip. I replaced it with a 95 Integra GSR axel and haven't had one problem since.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: B18C (Specail Ed)

Thanks for all the information.

Im going to order my H22 from HMO and also use the hasport mounts.

Gonna go with Newmans setup with the intermediate shaft/axle combo.

Thanks H-T for the help. Kinda smoothed out certain things for me, and made it easier to make my decision.
Props to Newman for all those posts that helped me make up my mind.. Seems like H22 swap wouldnt cause any problems if its done right. Ive got a good inch between my azenis and fender, so hopefully I wont have any axle problems...

Thx for all tha help!

**What kinda affordable shocks would you recommend for my hatch tho? Only places ill be racing is the drag strip, other than that its my daily driven car... Any suggestions? thx again
Old 01-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for shocks I'm using koni yellow adjustables, and springs are skunk2 w/integra rates. I've been very satisfied with them, the only gripe I have is the front springs need to be a little stiffer, I found that out autoxing on brand new pavement, sometimes my front tire would skip.............Other than that though I have no complaints and I think it's been a great value....alot of people also suggest ground control, I hear they do custom rates.........also the progress group has made a shock and spring combo specifically for h22 hatches, and going by their track record it is prob a pretty nice system(really nice).......John
Old 01-22-2004, 08:24 PM

"There's no replacment for Displacement"
Old 01-22-2004, 08:46 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jahtoot84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive got a good inch between my azenis and fender, so hopefully I wont have any axle problems...

**What kinda affordable shocks would you recommend for my hatch tho? Only places ill be racing is the drag strip, other than that its my daily driven car... Any suggestions? thx again</TD></TR></TABLE>

With that much clearance, you're going to want some GOOD shocks and springs, like a good/stiff setup or you're car is going to bounce and your tires will scrape your fenders (like mine did before I put some Tein Basics onto the car). And that was with Tokico HP struts & Skunk2 Integra coilovers..... ok, not the best, but that's what was on there originally. When you go to a good full coilover setup, so the strut is compatible with the high-rate spring, then you'll have a nice & smooth, yet firm ride that is great for both street & track.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: B18C (Newman)

At the moment I have some cheap springs (Drop Zone). Wasnt really planning one changing them, but if i have to I will. Stock shocks atm...
Ive read that its good to have stiffer shocks in the back for a H22 setup, since traction is a major problem.
So im looking into some new shocks/springs or coilovers.

You think integra shocks could hold up with the H22??
Its not like im going to be drag racing at the track every single weekend. I go to the track maybe 2 to 3 times a yr if that much. Basically lookin for a good street setup..

Thanks for the advice newman, ill do some reading up on suspension...

peace.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jahtoot84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the information.

Im going to order my H22 from HMO and also use the hasport mounts.

Gonna go with Newmans setup with the intermediate shaft/axle combo.

Thanks H-T for the help. Kinda smoothed out certain things for me, and made it easier to make my decision.
Props to Newman for all those posts that helped me make up my mind.. Seems like H22 swap wouldnt cause any problems if its done right. Ive got a good inch between my azenis and fender, so hopefully I wont have any axle problems...

Thx for all tha help!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i love these kind of posts.!!!!.. make me soo happy.. lol..