Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18b dilema

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18b dilema

Alright, so a few months ago I bought a mostly complete B18b swap for my hatchback from a friend/mechanic. It was pulled from a 5 speed-'95 integra with 120k on the clock. It cost me $300 for everything but the axles and the wiring harness.

The thing I'm hung up on is its current state: in a nutshell, he was considering using it for his hatch, but ended up moving to a type R instead. The head's been disassembled and was set to be ported and polished. It was done meticulously, for each valve assembly was baggy'd and labeled for proper placement, as were the injectors.

Since the engine isn't in one piece, I have the opportunity to rebuild it since it is high on the miles. I guess the big issue is whether or not to do the rebuild now or later down the road. My plan, like most b18b's, is for an application of boost down the road. I'm not planning on anything higher than 8-9psi for the time being, seeing that this IS my first car to really fiddle with.

Now the question: do I have the local performance shop reassemble it to get it on the road, or leave it in pieces for another few months until I have the parts for the turbo setup?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18b dilema (ShazMyBot)

If you plan to do it yourself, having the motor running first then installing the turbo is usually a good idea. It helps eliminate any questions that might arise when installing a turbo on a built motor. With that said, first I would put it back together and install it with a ecu management system thats has good support for turbo setups. Then piece together a good FI setup second. Additionally, doing it this way leaves you room to spend money on quality internals, machining, and the needed swap parts. Sounds like you got a good start. gl
Old 04-08-2008, 02:59 AM

so all your going to do is have the shop reasemble everything?
and are you going to boost on those stock internals?

A. you can get the engine done by the shop now, and have a running car
B. you can wait to get everything you want in the block so you aint pulling the motor out several times "always better to measure twice cut once"
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (randomnineh2b)

I don't want to boost the stock setup, honestly. I'd feel more comfortable having at least an idea of what i should replace to get the motor running. Yeah, it's a Honda, but it's a little high for my tastes. After all, it's easier on my wallet to drive the thing around rather than getting it towed everywhere.

On the issue of the bare head, I might as well get the head ported if it's already in pieces. With the block, I'm only concerned with getting the cylinders and pistons cleaned up for the moment.

I've got my eye set on a Garret GT25 so far, but unsure on what to run below the valvetrain.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ShazMyBot)

So, I would assume your shooting for around 300whp and great reliability. http://forums.evans-tuning.com...build
This is a vtec article, but it gives you an idea of what to do to support boost reliably. gl
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (schmiddr2)

That is EXACTLY what I am looking to obtain. Thank you, sir.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (ShazMyBot)

My ls/eg hatch motor I had 78,000 on it no problems and I sent it to a machine shop and had them build me a pretty much new ls The only thing that wasn't replaced was the crankshaft and rollerrockers.I went with Darton mid sleeves,crower rods,wesico pistions,crower springs, retainers and camshafts.Crower cam gears,Super tech black nitrate valves,cosmetic gasket and all held together by arp main,head a flywheel bolts..I personal think that if I was to do it again I would build mine engine than just put it back in That's just my 2 cents though to me its just a project and hobby not to much my transportation......

nate