Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18A with cable trans into 92 civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18A with cable trans into 92 civic

Hi all,
I’m currently gathering parts and info on my swap and have a few questions.
First off let’s start with the setup;
I have a B18a and a cable trans from a 90 integra LS.
I’m planning on swapping it into my 92 civic that is currently housing a b16z6 and hydro trans.
I have collected the following bits;
- engine, trans, and all the dressings
- 94-95 OBD1 p75 ecu
- 94-95 OBD1 B18b injectors
- 94-95 OBD1 B18b dizzy
- has port cable to hydro adaptor kit
- 90 Integra throttle cable

I plan on picking up;
- 94+ Integra exhaust manifold
- 90+ Integra axles
-94+ Integra shifter linkage

I have 3 big questions that I am having a heck of a time finding answers to.
#1 Motor and trans mounts? I know I need a mixture of Integra and civic mounts but what year Integra mounts, and what year civic mounts do I need where?
#2 I believe the cable trans also has a cable Speedo where as the Speedo in the civic is electronic… is there a sending unit I can swap out? If so what year/make/model car should I get the electronic one from?
#3 What shifter linkage do I need? Every thing I have seen for the b18b swaps say to use 94-95 Integra, but there are some shifter linkage sets that I have found that specify only hydro transmissions…. Is there a difference between the cable trans and hydro trans as far as shifter linkage goes?

Last edited by the ghoul; 01-09-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18A with cable trans into 92 civic

It would be much easier to get a hydro transmission. Plus your going backwards with a cable tranny.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yep I know it.
I dont want to dismiss your opion here, because it is a valid point, but the reasion I wanted to go with the cable trans is;
#1 it was a very good deal that i got on this power pack
#2 there is a much wider selection of gear ratios with the cable transmissions than the hydro
#3 once its set up, replacement transmissions are cheaper (i imagine I will be going thru a few of them)
lastly
#4 unless you go exotic with hydro transmission selection, the cable transmissions seem to be a bit tougher.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said you have a b16z6? I assume you meant d16z6? I personally did this swap some years but and first thing on the list to sell was the cable tranny. An LS motor runs so much better with a GSR or b16 tranny, i loved mine. I did not want to go through the hassle of using the kit, and i think cable trannys are harder come by and also since theyre older, chances are theyre not in such a good condition either.

You are on the correct path however. When it comes down to the swap just follow any other b-series write up with the exception of wiring vtec and doing the cable tranny conversion. You can also keep in mind that 92-93 b18a1's were also obd1 so you can use parts from those motors as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Andres-eh2
You said you have a b16z6? I assume you meant d16z6? I personally did this swap some years but and first thing on the list to sell was the cable tranny. An LS motor runs so much better with a GSR or b16 tranny, i loved mine. I did not want to go through the hassle of using the kit, and i think cable trannys are harder come by and also since theyre older, chances are theyre not in such a good condition either.

You are on the correct path however. When it comes down to the swap just follow any other b-series write up with the exception of wiring vtec and doing the cable tranny conversion. You can also keep in mind that 92-93 b18a1's were also obd1 so you can use parts from those motors as well.
oops, i stand corrected, yes d16z6...
im just kinda working with what I got for now is the big thing, the trans was vertually free for what i paied on the swap, the cheapest hydro trans i found was $300 local wich i guess is the same price id pay for all the stuff to convert to cable, but then again Id have all the stuff for cable so i could go either way for the next trans. I personally would love to find a b series trans with an lsd for the next one....
your right that a hydro trans would be perfet for the end configuration, but this is going to be the version one of this swap, so i can only go up from here!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm also curious about the linkage and speedo as I had a wrecked 93 LS given to me (has perfectly good motor/trans)
I would like to put this motor/tranny combo into my eg sedan...
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goshblamit
I'm also curious about the linkage and speedo as I had a wrecked 93 LS given to me (has perfectly good motor/trans)
Originally Posted by goshblamit
I would like to put this motor/tranny combo into my eg sedan...

you have a bit of an advantage.
you can prolly use the 93's peddles, and if worse comes to worse, the gauge cluster with cable speedo. I think the best bet for you would be doing a total swap; engine, trans, axles, engine harness, dash harness, cluster possibly even the dash.... Also, if you really feel like a project and are good with welding and body work, grafting the ls front end on your eg
ok now im just being silly, but you get the idea, you have every thing at your finger tips to do the swap with very little additional parts needed.

I will update as soon as the electric speedo sending unit arrives in the mail as to weather it physically fits. Im told that the integra mounts can be used all the way around, but the brackets on the back side of the transmission and under the crank pully need to be changed to the civic ones, but i have not yet gotten to that point so i dont know.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well for speedo it do fit but if its from auto tranny it wont bolt up but it will fit and work

for the tranny just get a b-series hydro bell housing and case and just swap the gears over

for eg's you use 94-01 integra shift linkage for b-series swaps
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LA_HONDAS
for the tranny just get a b-series hydro bell housing and case and just swap the gears over
that seems like alot more work than just swapping it with a hasport kit, tho it would solve the speedo issue...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you swap the gears over in less then 5mins and its way way cheaper then the hasport kit

you can get a hydro bell housing and case for less then a $100 shipped
Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you swap the gears over in less then 5mins and its way way cheaper then the hasport kit

no ****...
i thought it would be complacated, but i gutess if your installing them in one case right next to the other one there is little chance of f-ing something up just as long as you keep it all clean....
at that point youd just need the slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, pilot bearing....
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just use the hasport hydro to cable conversion kit. i have an older b16a with a cable trans in my EG. i love it. as long as you make sure your master and slave cylinder are in good working condition you will be fine. the pedal is more stiff and it is more "either on the clutch or off it" but it works perfectly fine.

cable trans are still ever where and they are way cheaper then hydro ones. i see them all the time from $100 - $350.

make sure you get the right axles though. the 90-91 axles are different from the 92-93 axles. i think... i cant remember though to be honest. check with your parts store before you buy them. i remember i bought the wrong axles for mine when i was replacing them and was pretty pissed off when i found out the ones i needed were not in stock.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now there is a question that i had....
I know there is a difference in the 90-91 vs 92-93ish.... is that difference on the hub side or the trans side? I know they said on a couple write ups that the transmission seals might be different, which would lead me to think the trans side of the axles are different, but if I buy the 90 axles would they work with the 92 civic hubs?

also,
did you run into the same speedo issue that im having? if so, how did you get around it?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by the ghoul
yep I know it.
I dont want to dismiss your opion here, because it is a valid point, but the reasion I wanted to go with the cable trans is;
#1 it was a very good deal that i got on this power pack
#2 there is a much wider selection of gear ratios with the cable transmissions than the hydro
#3 once its set up, replacement transmissions are cheaper (i imagine I will be going thru a few of them)
lastly
#4 unless you go exotic with hydro transmission selection, the cable transmissions seem to be a bit tougher.
#2 hydro's have more of a selection
#3 why would you go through a few transmissions?
#4 both trans' are equally as tough

swapping out gears is going to take alot longer than 5 minutes. you really have to know what your doing or else youll be pulling that trans in & out awhole bunch of times

Originally Posted by dividedas1
make sure you get the right axles though. the 90-91 axles are different from the 92-93 axles. i think... i cant remember though to be honest. check with your parts store before you buy them. i remember i bought the wrong axles for mine when i was replacing them and was pretty pissed off when i found out the ones i needed were not in stock.
90-93 axles are the same. only difference in axles is if it will have a hub ring for ABS. 90-91 clutches are different from 92+ clutches.

Originally Posted by the ghoul
Now there is a question that i had....
I know there is a difference in the 90-91 vs 92-93ish.... is that difference on the hub side or the trans side? I know they said on a couple write ups that the transmission seals might be different, which would lead me to think the trans side of the axles are different, but if I buy the 90 axles would they work with the 92 civic hubs?

also,
did you run into the same speedo issue that im having? if so, how did you get around it?
if you use a 90-93 integra intermediate shaft, you have to use 90-93 axles. if you use a 94-01 integra intermediate shaft, you have to use 94-01 axles. any of those axles will fit in your hub. also make sure you have an intermediate shaft for a 5spd trans, ones from an auto WILL NOT work.

for the speedo trying popping out the mechanical VSS and using the VSS from a hydro B-series.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

top notch . thank you.
I have the intermediate shaft from the 90 teg still attached to the trans, so it looks like 90-93 axles for me!
I should know in a couple days when the electric vss i got from ebay shows. im about 75% sure it will work. ill keep every one posted.
Originally Posted by gutted
#2 hydro's have more of a selection
#3 why would you go through a few transmissions?
#4 both trans' are equally as tough

swapping out gears is going to take alot longer than 5 minutes. you really have to know what your doing or else youll be pulling that trans in & out awhole bunch of times

90-93 axles are the same. only difference in axles is if it will have a hub ring for ABS. 90-91 clutches are different from 92+ clutches.

if you use a 90-93 integra intermediate shaft, you have to use 90-93 axles. if you use a 94-01 integra intermediate shaft, you have to use 94-01 axles. any of those axles will fit in your hub. also make sure you have an intermediate shaft for a 5spd trans, ones from an auto WILL NOT work.

for the speedo trying popping out the mechanical VSS and using the VSS from a hydro B-series.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't think the tranny will fit on? cuz my guys and them did a obd 0 on a 92-95 civic the tranny didn't fit so they ghetto it, drilled it and ****..to make it fit