Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!!

i had an integra that i had put a jdm b18 in a while back and raced..well i bought a 92 4door civic and put the whole swap from the integra into the civic...i fired it up and it keeps throwing a 3 code...plus the idle will not drop down from 1400 even when warm...i left the stock map connector from the civic open and connected the map connector from the b18 engine harness...no time does connecting or disconnecting the map change the idle at all..doesnt stall or raise...its like its not even recognizing the map sensor..i also tried every possible combination of the vac lines from the map to the intake to the charcoal canister...im stumped it didnt act like this in the integra ..please help
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!! (jdmspecb18)

anyone?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

noone?....wow
Old 06-30-2005, 08:26 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmspecb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had an integra that i had put a jdm b18 in a while back and raced..well i bought a 92 4door civic and put the whole swap from the integra into the civic...i fired it up and it keeps throwing a 3 code...plus the idle will not drop down from 1400 even when warm...i left the stock map connector from the civic open and connected the map connector from the b18 engine harness...no time does connecting or disconnecting the map change the idle at all..doesnt stall or raise...its like its not even recognizing the map sensor..i also tried every possible combination of the vac lines from the map to the intake to the charcoal canister...im stumped it didnt act like this in the integra ..please help</TD></TR></TABLE>Well I know something is wrong with an idle at 1400RPM, stock is 750rpm +/- 50 rpm.. So it throws a code 3, hmmm, what computer are you running? Your wiring may be off. I saw a swap that had 2 MAP sensor wires swapped. This could have caused big electrical issues but thankefully the "right" two wires were switched and the car just thought it was at WOT 24-7. He got something like 9mpg on 93 octane pump gas. In a nearly stock B16A.. So anyway what computer and confirm the wiring is proper...
Old 07-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!! (HondaFanatic708)

the entire swap came out of the integra that i put together last year...i drove the teg daily and it didnt have any problems...i took the motor ,trans, axles,ecu,and wiring harness from the integra..and just swapped everything over to the civic..i didnt change anything except the flywheel and clutch so it still has the integra ecu and harness..although everything is jdm.. except the harness..but it all worked fine in the teg...oh..and everything has been done the right way...no wires were cut, spliced, changed or anything..i have a pretty much new usdm stock b18b harness, basically i just put the integra into the civic less the body
Old 07-02-2005, 08:22 AM

Well if the CEL indicates 3 there is a problem in the MAP sensor electrical circuit. A 5 would be more vac lines or the sensor itself. Som bustb out the multimeter, here goes nothing..

1. Do the ECM reset procedure.
2. Start the engine and allow it to idle..
3. If no MIL then it was an intermittent failure. Check for loose connections at ECM, MAP and C212 (right shock tower clip)

If the MIL is on tur off the ignition, disconnect the 3p connector at the MAP sensor. Turn the ignition switch on again (Don't start it)

4.Measure voltage from YEL/RED terminal (The one that would be closest to the firewall when connected to the TB mounted MAP sensor) and a body ground. Is the approx. 5v? If YES skip to step 5.. If no measure voltage between D19 and D21 on the ECU. (You can do this by carefully upening the backing of the D ECM clip and touching the terminals from there.) Is there approx. 5v? If yes repair the break in the YEL/RED, YEL/GRN wire between the D19 terminal on the ECM and the MAP sensor.. If there isn't 5v here replace the ECM with a known good ECM and retest.

5. Now measure the voltage between the same YEL/RED terminal on the MAP and the GRN/WHT (The middle terminal) Is there approx. 5v? If no repair the break in the GRN/WHT, GRN/BLU wire between the MAP and D21 on the ECM. If there is approx. 5v proceed to next step.

6. Now measure for voltage between the GRN/WHT (middle) and WHT(One closest to front of car when connected) Is there approx 5v? If yes skip to next step. If no then measure for voltage between the D17 and D21 terminals at the ECM. Is there approx 5v? If no substitute a known good ECM and recheck, if there is voltage here now replace the origional ECM. If yes repair the break in the WHT, PNK/WHT wire between the D17 terminal of the ECM and the MAP sensor.

7. This step is if you had voltage from the first part of step 6. Reconnect the MAP sensor plug. Measure for voltage between the D17 and D21 terminals at the ECM, is there approx. 3v? If no replace the MAP sensor, if YES substitute a known good ECM and if symptoms go away replace the origional ECM.

And thats all you have to do, pretty simple huh. No make sure to take your time, do every step through the flow order. I guarentee that if you do this correctly you will discover the problem... Good luck and hit me up with any additional questions..
Old 07-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Try flipping the map and TPS sometime u plug them in the wrong spots by
accident
Old 07-03-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!! (sol_1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol_1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try flipping the map and TPS sometime u plug them in the wrong spots by
accident
</TD></TR></TABLE>Could be but I highly doubt it since the car runs and drives just has a spurattic idle.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 swap..having map problem...please help!!!!!! (HondaFanatic708)

thanks guys..sorry i havent been on in a while...i will try those step..thanks for the time writing them
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 (From this kids thread in EG Civic) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I tried to explain the flowchart without having to search it out for you but here is the link

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/C...0.pdf

I'll post this in the hybrid topic as well.. Just so you see one of them..

</TD></TR></TABLE>