Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18 in EK hatch, electronic or head problem???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18 in EK hatch, electronic or head problem???

ok, here's the story. just swapped a b18a1 engine into my 98 ek hatch, with a 98 gsr trans. running a 98 ls dizzy, with my stock computer....showing the check engine light for the crank fluctuation sensor, and secondary o2 sensor, because the b18 setup doesn't need those. anyways, car was running very strong for a few days, got the new rings on my JE pistons nice and broken in, no smoking....but now all of a sudden, it idles very strange....around 2k rpms, and kinda fluctuates, and while i'm driving, it cuts out around 2k rpms, and shakes horribly.....so to fix this, i resort to checking fuel problems, i have a summit full flow filter, took it off, some crud from some old gas, but not bad at all, cleaned it out, took fuel rail and injectors off, cleaned.....and still same problem. took msd dist. cap off, checked rotor button, lil' bit of a burnt tip to the middle of the fin, but still not bad enough to make it run bad or miss a spark, checked amps on msd ss coil....perfect, plugs perfect......what the hell is going on here????? anyone have any clue? i'm about out of options on it. if anyone knows anything i could check to see, i'd gladly look into it. hadn't driven the car for a year, and to finally get it into the car and running, and running strong, and getting spoiled on it, then it doing this crap all of a sudden really bites! i'd highly appreciate anyones input, thanks!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18 in EK hatch, electronic or head problem??? (stevil_knevil)

What year is the b18? What ecu are u running? What are the exact cel's ur getting? If I'm not mistaken on obd1 engine the crank sensor is in the dizzy, while in obd2 engines the crank sensor is in the engine itself. So if ur ecu is looking for it in the dizzy and it's not there that could be why ur getting the cel for it. Sounds like u got an obd2 ecu cause obd1 ecu's don't look for secondary o2's.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18 in EK hatch, electronic or head problem??? (JasonST)

the b18 is out of a 91 Integra. Got the whole cutting out problem done. Followed some instructions from a thread on here, and wired my harness to make my ecu read that i had the crank sensor hooked up right, and moved a iacv wire over to another plug, and removed the negative iacv wire out of the harness, and running good now.

Was wondering something else....I have a re-programmed ecu that i had done with Skunk2....it's an OBD1 PO6 ecu. I have the OBD2-OBD1 conversion harness.....but when i hook it up. It acts like it's out of time or something. It will run with it hooked up, but not good, and it sucks gas like crazy when hooked up. Was looking on Hondata, and seen something about, if I'm running an obd1 ecu on an obd2 distributor, that my timing profile will match up to it.???? any incite? but another thing, since i did the CKT sensor and iacv re-wiring, i haven't tried hooking up the skunk2 ecu again.....maybe that will work. but if anyone knows about that situation, i'd gladly like to know. thanks alot!