Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16A1 Swap Problems...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A1 Swap Problems...help!!!

Ok I swapped a B16a1 into my 94 civic ex. I used my civic obd1 harness and 345 cc prelude injectors. Now just until friday I have a b16 intake manifold but with an ls throttle body. The throttle body is a little bit bigger so it leaks from the bottom. Also on the b16a1 intake manifold right under where the throttle body is there are two holes with 3 screws that is open...i believe thats supposed to be blocked off by some plate or something...i have it open. I have a check engine light and my car idles like a freakin rotory from 1000rpm-1500rpm..no steady idle..now the specs on my motor are .20 over bore, 9:2.1 wiseco pistons and eagle rods. Milled, port polish complete valvetrain done to head with stock b16a1 cams...so with all this in mind...why would my car idle that bad...timing is correct and everything is tdc. I mean the only thing i can think of for now is the throttle body being the wrong one? Also is there any re-wiring i have to do...like with the throttle position sensor?...please help
Old 09-24-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Re: B16A1 Swap Problems...help!!! (incognitoracerr)

I also have a P72 ecu and an ls distributor..and my fan won't turn on...does my fan need a thermostate to turn on?...is it because I am using an OBD-0 engine (b16A1) with my OBD-1 harness and ecu?
Old 09-25-2003, 05:32 AM

Also if I drive past 4000 rpm my car cuts back...I can't really go any higher than 4krpm
Old 09-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a 1st gen B16 TB. Even if you block off those two holes on the bottom of the IM, it will still leak from the bottom of the TB.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:12 AM

Default Re: B16A1 Swap Problems...help!!! (turbogixxer)

is that why my idle is so bad?...do i need to do any re-wiring?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incognitoracerr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that why my idle is so bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely, you probably have a big vacuum leak. Change the TB and it will fix it. And you will need the part to cover the two holes too.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incognitoracerr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do i need to do any re-wiring?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you mean to change the LS to 1st gen B16, no, you will only need to redo the coolant lines and vacuum lines that go to TB.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:53 AM

Oh ok...so I guess I have no big worries then. I ordered a new b16a1 intake manifold with the correct throttle body...so i guess i am ok til tomorrow then. I did a cel check and the only error codes I get is 01 which is my oxygen sensor ( i have not put it on yet) and then I have 14 which is IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)...so this code 14 IAC should get fixed with the new throttle body right or is this something else I have to fix?..if so where is it located?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incognitoracerr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have 14 which is IAC Valve (Idle Air Control)...so this code 14 IAC should get fixed with the new throttle body right or is this something else I have to fix?..if so where is it located?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The new TB will not fix that problem. Your IAC is on the back of the IM. It has a two wire connector going to it and two coolant lines going to it. Make sure everything is hooked on it right.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The new TB will not fix that problem. Your IAC is on the back of the IM. It has a two wire connector going to it and two coolant lines going to it. Make sure everything is hooked on it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you happen to know which sensor harness wire goes back there...like whats the color scheme of the wire?...I am pretty sure I did not connect a lot of the harness plugs to the correct sensors...most of them plug up to any sensors but i know that doesn't mean its the right one...maybe thats why my fan is not turning on...i might have the temperature sensor connected wrong also...whats the color scheme for that?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:46 AM

sorry about all the questions guys but the person that was supposed to help me with the swap fronted on me and I had to do the complete rebuild and swap on my own and this is my first time doing it alone..
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incognitoracerr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you happen to know which sensor harness wire goes back there...like whats the color scheme of the wire?...I am pretty sure I did not connect a lot of the harness plugs to the correct sensors...most of them plug up to any sensors but i know that doesn't mean its the right one...maybe thats why my fan is not turning on...i might have the temperature sensor connected wrong also...whats the color scheme for that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should be a blk/ylw and a blk/blu, but I may be mistaken, I will check on my friends car tonight. there should be two same plugs looking plugs on the back of the IM. One for the IAC and one for the purge valve. Your fan is not working cause OBD0 ECT is on the engine block and OBD1 ECT is on the thermostat housing. The OBD0 (your b16a) ECT sensor is near the oil filter and the low oil pressure sensor. Just cut and slice the original ECT wires into the OBD0 one and your fan will work.

here is some pics of it:

It is number 3 (ECT) number 1 is oil temp. and number 2 is low oil pressure light sensor.

EDIT: Ask as many questions that you need. I will try to answer everyone of them.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:25 AM

wow you have been a great help...i am going to see if i can work on a few things on the car right now...i'll def. let you know the progress and hopefully get the fan working so i can drive the thing ...lol
Old 09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by incognitoracerr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you have been a great help...i am going to see if i can work on a few things on the car right now...i'll def. let you know the progress and hopefully get the fan working so i can drive the thing ...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

no prob, You can drive the car, just do not stop or idle for a while or it will overheat.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:33 AM

hey i do not have a sensor for the ect...there is a whole in the block but there is no threading for a sensor...send me an IM on honda-tech with your email so i can show you a pic of the bare block i am using so you can see...maybe its because i have the sir2 block
Old 09-25-2003, 10:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your fan is not working cause OBD0 ECT is on the engine block and OBD1 ECT is on the thermostat housing. The OBD0 (your b16a) ECT sensor is near the oil filter and the low oil pressure sensor. Just cut and slice the original ECT wires into the OBD0 one and your fan will work.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey I see that my ECT is on my thermostat housing...maybe i have the wrong plug on the sensor...i'll get back to you on that one

Old 09-25-2003, 12:44 PM

Hey thanks for everything..I fixed the IAC problem...I had the wrong sensor connected to it. I also fixed the fan...that too had the wrong sensor connected to it. The car still has an irratical idle but not like before...now its more of a vacumm leak irratical idle...i guess i'll fix that tomorrow when i get the throttle body
Old 09-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the screw holes below the tb are for the FIT(fast idle thermo??) valve. i cant remember exactly what it does but i know it has coolant that runs through it, and does something to control the idle while warming up.