Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP!

Ok I have put the JDM B16a in to a 94Si. The couple of problems that I'm trying to solve are as follows.

Before some one jumps on here and tells me to do a search, and that this subject has been talked to death. I have, and I still will be doing searches but a little help is need now instead of 2 or 3 days from now. Also I missed the funeral when it was talked to death so I'm sorry if I draw you into reading this an you don't want to help. Some of us are behind the curve and need a little help on catching up.

OK the problems are as follows:
I used the D16 wiring harness and end up not using all of the plugs 2 to be exacted. The one that plugs in, on the top side of the throttle body.
And the one that plug in to a purge value?? On the back side of the intake. I was able to extend or split them out an reroute the others. Also I have prep the knock sensor to extend to the computer. My concern is that they 2 that I did not hook up. Is this normal or does this indicates that I did not get the 92-00 B16A like I paid for? Also in case you need to know, the computer is a P30.

Another issue that has raised its ugly head is that A/C bracket. Ok the D16 bracket will not work duh. But the A/C bracket that came on the B16 motor will not match up to the compressor. Even though I bought a "complete kit" this bracket will not work with the compressor. When I went up to the dealer and talked to the parts dude he said it could be up to 4 different A/C compressors. Is this true or should I just get the bracket for a 99 civic Si?

Thanks in advance for you help.
An I owe you one or two / if you ever make it out to St Louis, MO
Old 01-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (q2team)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by q2team &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My concern is that they 2 that I did not hook up. Is this normal or does this indicates that I did not get the 92-00 B16A like I paid for? Also in case you need to know, the computer is a P30.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If everything plugs in then that would determine that you got an OBD1 motor, well at least a motor with OBD1 electronics. You can see the date casting on the head above the exhaust manifold.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another issue that has raised its ugly head is that A/C bracket. Ok the D16 bracket will not work duh. But the A/C bracket that came on the B16 motor will not match up to the compressor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want to keep A/C then you need to reuse your stock A/C compressor with a Del Sol VTEC bracket. The other B series A/C brackets will work as a dampening mount only.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:37 PM

Villian you have mail.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:42 AM

Villian did you get a chance to look at those pics?
Revised I just got the IM. To which I just replied.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (VTECVillain)

You have mail VetcVillian
Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
thad

(the plug on top of the throttle body) as in the map, car won't go without that.
if you got a second gen b16 with the external map you have three options.
1. use the external map and extend the wires on the plug
2. use the d16 map and run a piece of vaccum line to the throttle body
3. use the d16 map and get an Si TB
perhaps that was not the plug you were talking about and i look foolish but oh well i'm sick of my low post count.
i've been hearing from a buch of people that you cannot reuse your d series AC compressor with the b series torque mount.
this is only partly true i can't confirm any GSR or Si mounts but the 2nd gen b16 (eg6) mount is compatible, however you can only use two of the four bolts, just use the two closest to the crank pulley and it will line up just fine, you'll use the del sol vtec belt.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (thad)

Well Thad I think you are speaking of the right one. I tried to e-mail you about it but your e-mail error out. Do you have a more up to date e-mail address?

Old 01-08-2004, 04:08 PM

So VetcVillian or Thad do you guys get the pics?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (thad)

I'm sure Thad got it right about the MAP sensor (it's a circle plug in with three wires). If it is the right one, then take his advice. I opted to go with the TB route and took the one off my broken b18c. One plug outta the way.

Now for the second one. I'm guessing it's from the engine wiring harness and it is somewhat near the right side near or inbetween the IM and shock tower......I'm hoping someone says that it is in fact the EVAP sensor plug and that it really doesn't need to be plugged in. Cause I'm running around with it not plugged into anything now.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (Thagreybomber)

All right I guess I will measure the TB today an see if that will be the easy fix. I hope the bore is the same because going down in the opening diameter would really just suck.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:06 AM

Well I measure the TB the d16 57mm, the b16 62mm. So swapping complete bodies is out of the question. Got a closer look at the MAP sensor on the D16 took it off the body of course the sensor extends down into the throttle body. So just plugging it in to the harness and running a vacuum line to it would problem not work since the sensor extended in the TB. Witch means it works off the vacuum at that point in the system. I guess I need to figure out witch American Honda/Acura uses external MAP and where is it located. Any ideas, any one?

I will take another look at the vacuum lines again. Lucky I have to Si hatch backs. I need to figure a little more on this.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:22 PM
thad

you don't have to use the same TB that the MAP came with, jus get a TB from an OBD2 B series, ie. GSR, type R, Si. any of those will work, the cheapest route, ive seen done many times, is to use about 3 inches of vacuum line and go from the MAP to the vacuum inlet on the TB closest to the front. this is the same place the map wouold have been plugged in. or on a skunk or type R IM you could mount it behind the IM there is another inlet on the back of the manifold that an external MAP would go to.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P30 A/C Brackets are your friend if you are tryin to be cool... 94-95 Del Sol pieces
I am not sure I follow what your concern with wires not hooking up is, if you are using a p30 ecu and you have extended the appropriate wires from the motor to the ecu it is just a matter of locating the proper pin location. A quick way to confirm the legitimacy of the year of your motor is to make sure it has grey plugs around the distributor obdI cars have 2 plugs that go into the distributor obd2 cars use one and if it is pre obd you'll know it
Old 01-18-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: B16A Swap problems/ questions HELP! (jdmvtec28)

Actually the P30 ac bracket is not my friend. That is the one that came on the JDM motor I got. I order the d54? I think that was the number. Either way I order the one for a 94 DelSol Si an that one allowed me to bolt the compressor on properly.

Now Thad- your giving some bad advice when suggesting using just 2 bolt holes on the compressor. The amount of tork that the compressor goes through especially when the clutch is kicking in out. The amount of stress it will destroy the bearings in the compressor not to mention it will eventually rip the treads out of the bracket.