Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16a help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a help

So I'm looking into swapping a b16a into my 94 dx coupe. I've got a couple questions. First, what ecu should I use. I know there are different ecus, but I'm not sure of the differences in performance. Next when I install the motor, I will have to run vtec wires because my car is a non-vtec, correct? Third if i'm going to swap a obd 2 motor into my obd 1 car can I use an obd 1 ecu? If I have to use the obd 2 ecu all I need is a conversion harness, correct? Sorry for all the stupid questions but with all the misleading information out there I'm not sure what's correct.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b16a help (sitinthehall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sitinthehall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First, what ecu should I use. I know there are different ecus, but I'm not sure of the differences in performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ideally for a B16A you should be running a P30. However just about any OBD-1 ECU can be chipped to correctly run it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sitinthehall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Next when I install the motor, I will have to run vtec wires because my car is a non-vtec, correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will be necessary to run the wiring for the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch regardless. Depending upon the ECU you use, you may need to run a wire for the knock sensor as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sitinthehall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Third if i'm going to swap a obd 2 motor into my obd 1 car can I use an obd 1 ecu? If I have to use the obd 2 ecu all I need is a conversion harness, correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ideally you would be running an OBD-1 ECU regardless. Using an OBD-2 computer would require a good bit more wiring, beyond just a plug-and-play conversion harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sitinthehall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Sorry for all the stupid questions but with all the misleading information out there I'm not sure what's correct. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Also note that the OBD-2 motor is likely to come with an OBD-2 harness which will not be compatible with your OBD-1 car. You will probably end up having to modify the stock wiring harness to work with the B16 using some of the plugs off of the OBD-2 harness. Modifying the dizzy and alternator plugs will be the biggest issues.