Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP

First off let me begin by telling you guys i'm from the netherlands (euro) so my english is kinda crappy. please do'nt flame my *** :-)

here's the problem.

I currently own a D15B7 94 Coupe with a Apexi turbo kit on it (itr lug 5 conv etc).
Had allot of fun with this setup but recently i got the chance to buy a B16A2 from a verry good friend.
The engine is in top condition (80K miles on it) The owner is a 44 year old man who drives the car with care.
He's changing over to a K20.

My problem is that the engine is a OBDII spec b16...
I have done many search but i'm getting alot of different info..
now i can't tell wrong from wright anymore.

please help me ..

I have the following info concerning ObdII into ObdI car:

- Change the right engine mount for 92-95 item
- Use obdI engine wirewring from my d15 (adding wires for Vtec solenoid and Pressure)
- Swap the Alternator for a 92-95 obdI
- Swap the ignition/distributer for 92-95 odbI
- Use obd1 92-95 b16 ECU (p30 i think)
- (some one told me that te vtec solenoid is different with the obdII b16)

am i missing stuff ...???
Old 03-08-2004, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP (hardcorehonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hardcorehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">- Change the right engine mount for 92-95 item</TD></TR></TABLE>

You only need to do this if the motor is coming from a 96-00 EK Civic chassis which I assume it is. The SOHC 92-95 EG bracket and mount will not work. You would need an EG DOHC bracket and mount or 94-01 Integra bracket and mount.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">- Use obdI engine wirewring from my d15 (adding wires for Vtec sollenoid and Pressure)</TD></TR></TABLE>

The amount of wiring will depend on which ECU you use. I would definitely go with an OBD1 ECU for less wiring and better tuning. You should be able to get an OBD1 P30 or a chipped P28 which either would be perfect to run that motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swap the Alternator for a 92-95 obdI</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is only due to the plug difference. If you can get the OBD2 plug then you can rewire the plug in place of your OBD1 plug instead of having to swap out the distributor. If you do change the alternator, you must use a 92-95 DOHC B series alternator.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swap the ignition/distibuter for 92-95 odbI</TD></TR></TABLE>

This just like the alternator can be used if you swap the plugs. The OBD1 and OBD2 distributors are internally the same, only the plug differences basically set them apart. If you change it, you will need a 92-95 DOHC VTEC distributor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use obd1 92-95 b16 ECU (p30 i think)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Already answered that...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(some one told me that te vtec sollenoid is different with the obdII b16)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure if this applies to all of the motors you guys get, but most EDM and JDM spec 98+ motors don't use a VTEC pressure switch so that makes the solenoid different. If you use an ECU that looks for the switch then it will throw a CEL and the VTEC will not work. You can change the solenoid or do a simple rewiring method. If you end up in this situation and need to know how to rewire it let me know.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP (VTECVillain)

Thanx!!!!!

I Just love how things work here at HT.... almost instant info :-)

So i can rewire both the distributor and the Alternator..???
Any chance you know the color coding of the wires?
I have been looking around under the hoods of different B16 civic obd1 and obdII.
I know the colorcoding of the wires don't match up..

I know its alot to ask.... but hey.... you never know.. maybe some of the HT guru's know it :-)
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hardcorehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i can rewire both the distributor and the Alternator..???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hardcorehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any chance you know the color coding of the wires?
I have been looking around under the hoods of different B16 civic obd1 and obdII.
I know the colorcoding of the wires don't match up..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am surprised that Vtecvillian did not tell you that you can use a OBDII GSR or other integra and it almost be plug and plug. Also, OBDII injector clips are different than OBD1.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am surprised that Vtecvillian did not tell you that you can use a OBDII GSR or other integra and it almost be plug and plug. Also, OBDII injector clips are different than OBD1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you question my authoritiiiii ??? j/k I assumed that since he was getting the complete longblock that it was coming with both the OBD2 alternator and distributor. I figured he would be using the OBD2 parts so that's why I just said "if you do change them you need to change it to 92-95 OBD1 B series part." Maybe I didn't word it good enough.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 ObdII into "EDM" 94 ObdI civic HELP (VTECVillain)

@Vtecvillain
ow it was clear enough!!!
I'm trying to ceep a much original parts from the OBDII egine.
92-95 ObdI parts are highly wanted and getting rare over here.
We don't have the GSR's like you guys only the B18c6 euro type R's.
And those are even more rare.

@turbogixxer
thank you for the wire-coding
Old 03-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, The alt is pretty straight forward. Just line the plugs up and cut and splice.