Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B-Series 1st Gen Insight

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-Series 1st Gen Insight

Hey everyone,

I am working on swapping a B16a2 into my 1st generation Honda Insight. I am having a bit of difficulty in determining how best to go about the hub/axle issue. My current plan is 2001-2005 base model Civic uprights/struts, these bolt right up to the Insight frame/suspension with a minor change of the bottom bit, as the ball joint is on the Insight lower control arm, compared to the hub on most models.

The issue I am having is determining what axles/hubs to use. I have been considering using the '95 Civic hubs, and bearings, and either maching out the new civic uprights to accomodate them, or build a spacer/sleeve to allow proper fitment of the new bearings/hub. My other thought would be using the standard new civic hubs, and seeing if it would be possible to combine the new axles with the old axles at the outer most portion. I know this is a common practice for putting Kswaps into b chassis, but I can find very little on the new D-series compatability with B-series parts.

2001 Honda Civic 200 MPH Turbocharged - Import Tuner Magazine

This guy swapped a b into a new civic, but he has one-off custom made axles. I am trying to use as many OEM parts as possible for price/reliability and ease of repliction reasons. Insights prices are starting to fall into the scrap aluminum range due to; transmission issues (grinding and input shaft seals), battery packs costing more than the car is worth to replaced, and just age in general. I would like to be able to provide a guide and blueprints for the mounts/shims/bushings required for others to perform this swap once it is finalized. Sort of a new generation of CRX
Attached Images