Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap (RallySol)

bump for RallySol
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neat project
Old 08-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (2point2)

Ok, finally uploaded a pic of the trailing arms. I've mucked with it in photoshop so that the two parts of the arm contrast eachother and show where the cuts and welds were made.

The 2660 lbs weight was without me, just the car and all the other crap in it. This weekend I may have an oppertunity to corner weigh the car. hope it comes through.

I also got my hands on a camcorder and have a few more vid clips of the car in action, but my intarweb tubes are clogged and I can't upload worth ****. Tomorrow I'm going to try to upload them from another location.

*edit* Here's a pic taken way back before I cut the arms. The short one is a stocker.

Modified by RallySol at 6:41 AM 11/9/2006
Old 08-09-2006, 11:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RallySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Welded a piece of angle iron between the fram rails for the top mount and the rear mount is a piece of bar stock welded to another piece of angle iron.

I'll have to take a pic of the rear mount sometime today since I haven't taken one yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry off topic but I love that "Flying Miata" in the background. I'll be buying a NA soon and probably get a FM kit too. I like your selection of cars. You gotta Conquest too. Man, keep up the great work
Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM

damn dude thats some wicked **** right there. nice work
Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (La EF-8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGiohFJAQHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDyob2Yog4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIPO93qZ10c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3fLgI7WOg
Old 08-09-2006, 10:17 PM

crzy *** build!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kiddcarbuff)

bad ***, I dont live "too" far from you either
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RallySol)

got any dyno vid...

great ****
Old 08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
The Boot

after seeing the vids the spare tire looks a little corny....too bad you need it for what you are doing. I love seeing the rear wheels break loose in that dirt.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:50 PM
highend#1

Default Re: (Smokinsax)

Nice

Mike
Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (highend#1)

Nice Project
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmgoldcivic)

No dyno vid or numbers yet. I need to locate a shop with an awd dyno then make time to stop by.

I'm still waiting for the corner weight deal to come through, so I don't have a "race" weight yet. However I think it would be safe to say that after the car is stripped, caged and prepped for competition it will weigh about what it weighs now.

After driving it for a couple weeks I've discovered that its developed a fair case of awd push. *GASP* Imagine that. I have an ITR Cusco Zero2 coilover system installed and both front and rear anti-roll bars off of an EG2 SiR. If I set the struts to their stiffest setting, 5, the car pushes horribly. I usually have them set to 2 when I commute and at that setting the car hooks up a hell of a lot better, but still pushes. Couple days ago I set the rear to 3 and left the front at 2, which almost dialed out the push, but not completely. Knowing what I know now, I believe installing a rear ITR anti-roll bar will totally negate the awd push and I'll be able to have an equal setting front to rear again, but I won't know this for sure until I install the bar this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments, they're greatly appreciated!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

project is dammnnn sick

engine bay looks stock, just as it should
Old 08-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RallySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No dyno vid or numbers yet. I need to locate a shop with an awd dyno then make time to stop by.

I'm still waiting for the corner weight deal to come through, so I don't have a "race" weight yet. However I think it would be safe to say that after the car is stripped, caged and prepped for competition it will weigh about what it weighs now.

After driving it for a couple weeks I've discovered that its developed a fair case of awd push. *GASP* Imagine that. I have an ITR Cusco Zero2 coilover system installed and both front and rear anti-roll bars off of an EG2 SiR. If I set the struts to their stiffest setting, 5, the car pushes horribly. I usually have them set to 2 when I commute and at that setting the car hooks up a hell of a lot better, but still pushes. Couple days ago I set the rear to 3 and left the front at 2, which almost dialed out the push, but not completely. Knowing what I know now, I believe installing a rear ITR anti-roll bar will totally negate the awd push and I'll be able to have an equal setting front to rear again, but I won't know this for sure until I install the bar this weekend.

Thanks for all the comments, they're greatly appreciated! </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly is "awd push"?
Old 08-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Suspetise...

Default Re: (Wayne_Curr)

He means understeer.

Other than that, couple comments:
-Maybe the pics are deceiving, but the way that rear diff is mounted looks really weak. I'd imagine with the torque from the driveshaft (even more so after the engine is putting out more power) would put some stress on that. Given that, you might want to beef it up a bit more. I know other RWD cars sometimes have issues with that, especially kitcars.
-It's ok for your shocks to be at different settings front and rear. I always have my rear shocks turned up stiffer than the fronts or the car feels like crap. This has been the case with 3 different suspensions, all with ITR rear bars.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need you to email me... Thanks uva240@yahoo.com Also Pm'ed you
Old 08-23-2006, 11:52 AM

nice
Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stinkycheezmonky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stinkycheezmonky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He means understeer.

Other than that, couple comments:
-Maybe the pics are deceiving, but the way that rear diff is mounted looks really weak. I'd imagine with the torque from the driveshaft (even more so after the engine is putting out more power) would put some stress on that. Given that, you might want to beef it up a bit more. I know other RWD cars sometimes have issues with that, especially kitcars.
-It's ok for your shocks to be at different settings front and rear. I always have my rear shocks turned up stiffer than the fronts or the car feels like crap. This has been the case with 3 different suspensions, all with ITR rear bars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the piece of angle iron I used for the diff mount has developed a good upward bend. I'm going to replace it with 1.5"x.125" square tube this weekend or next.

I installed the 23mm ITR bar the other night and it didn't seem to help the car at all, it actually made it push more than when the 15mm bar was installed. Pulled it out and put the 15mm bar back in this evening. And you're right, the car does feel like crap if the rear isn't stiffer than the front.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Suspetise...

What front swaybar are you running? Front and rear need to be balanced together, along with shocks, springs, and tire pressures.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stinkycheezmonky)

I haven't been able to find any spring rate or dampening information on the Cusco Zero2 coilover kit, but I can tell you the front bar is a stock 22mm and I think I'm running 32psi all 'round.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bomb *** project...not your average swap.

I remember an Integ a few years ago did a crv driveline swap...it was in honda-tuning or some import mag. it never had a follow up to see how the swap came out.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: (f@sth@tch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bomb *** project...not your average swap.

I remember an Integ a few years ago did a crv driveline swap...it was in honda-tuning or some import mag. it never had a follow up to see how the swap came out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They did it as a test to see if they could make a bolt on kit. After it was done it was determined that it wasn't worth the time/money and ended up being too much work to be produced.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:12 AM

Default Re: (Wayne_Curr)

sick project man
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I applaud your resourcefulness, excellent job!!!

Quick Reply: AWD CRX del Sol - CRV driveline swap