Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 09:28 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ???

my freind is about to buy a h22a complete swap and the guy is within driving distance to ..... he has pretty good prices. Just wondering how service is and also how his motors are clean and reliable or all crappy thanks
Old 01-31-2002, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (N-VtecCivic)

Bought a B18C from him, sent money on monday, said it will ship on thurs (did not ship) or friday. The motor is in stock, but they needed till then to send. I used paypal to purchase, cause ilive in Philly. Hope it works out for both of us.
Old 01-31-2002, 08:38 PM
New User

Yo thats me. New site is up and under construction http://www.a1jdmengines.com

tomorrow
Old 02-01-2002, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (Boosted)

I'm interested in a H22 swap for an Accord. What do you charge and what are your shipping charges to Massachussets.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (2001silvergsr)

Well Im not happy today with Tom. My motor was supposed to be shipped 4 days ago (when paypal payment cleared). Tom explained the delay and guarunted it would ship no later than today. Well, because of inclement weather they were not able to ship. Basically its Canada, Im sure there used to snow. But whatever, I told Tom that I expect to be compensated some how for the delay, and also if I do not get tracking number by Monday the order will be cancelled. I have researched quite a bit on who to buy from and called many places. Even though Toms company isnt as big as Nippon, Sohfast, and the others that are always mentioned around here, he took the time to talk to me at great lengths about his product. Gave his business permit # in Canada and instilled confidence enough for me to purchase. Im not saying hes bogus, just telling my story on what has happened so far in the transaction. I will post photos if motor gets shipped on monday of how it was packed, and the condition of the motor. Again, Tom has answered all my calls and emails, and is very nice to speak to, but has not delivered on time. I will keep all of you informed on monday what has happened. Also, I cannot stress enough to use some sort of Paypal or credit card as a buyer. Paypal has been great with this sitution. As soon as money was transfered they called to make sure it was legit. I explained the transaction to the pay pal rep, told him I was supposed to rec. track # as soon as payment cleared. They asked me to call them with tracking number when I had it. I have called back the rep and explained the situation. He basically froze the money for me till monday. No tracking #, they cancell. Rep even called seller for me to document his response to situation. Thank god for pay pal right now or I would be freaking out . Thats my story, wow one of my longest posts. Ill shut up now.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:31 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (2001silvergsr)

Well im not happy either as i mentioned to you cause its my name on the line. As i mentioned i couldnt help the sittuation that came up and best i could do is offer a guaranteed shipping on Monday which will happen and everyone will be happy and Mike will go on ejoying his engine for time to come . Again Mike i apolagize for what has happened and i will compensate you for the extra 2 days of waiting. So guys dont get alarmed cause i know Mike 2001silvergsr will be back here monday posting that engine is on his way and later on in the week he should be posting that he has recieved it. Thanks and sorry again for the delay.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:54 AM
New User

well just want to let everyone know i drove all the way up to toronto canada today to buy a h22a swap.....and .....well not happy drove all the way back home about 500 miles one way with out a motor. i called tom in the begining of the week and asked if he had the h22a swap at first it was for sure then by tues it was well i can get but no axles so i was like okay no prob since i have to get customs one's anyhow, then wed rolls around now he can't get ecu either ...okay we talk alittle about price and work everything out then..... thurs rolls around and yep another thing now he don't know if he has motor or can get it whatever i dunno he blams it on the weather but i think he was lying and thought i would say just ship it to me i suprised him with i will be driving up sat to pick up then he says well i will call u back later and confirm that i will have never heard anything so i have to call him....well he says i will call u tommrow whick would be friday and tell u for sure well nevr got a call then i call him and he says o ya i have two of them u pick what one u want so i was like cool ya know at least i can choose what one i want so i get directions and that evening leave so i can be there by 9-10 am next morning i meet up with tom this morning all is good we go to a shop ?? he called it his at first but know there are two guys running it this place isn't even his own shop...and i am like umm esepecially they way this place looks from the outside ??? so i give it the benfit of the doubt and go on in plus to i just drove likee forever to get my swap ..so i go in and there is one guy running around on all these dirty *** nasty broken up engines the one guys has it with the hilo and moving it just hitting other engines in the mean time not taking his time they didn't care about any of those engines so finally he shows me the one and it is ruff i dunno about his start up warranty but this motor might have started but every freakin sensor i could see was broke and also they say harness cut at firewall my *** try like missing about to sensor plugs have no idea where they where the harness was cut like right where the intermidate shaft is ....all pulleys are so rusted i could even barley turn them the other h22a was just over to the side and boy u can go buy a 88 hatch that is been sitting in a junkyard and look at the motor and it is in better shape than this h22a all the motors are really terriable if i had my digi cam i would have snapped some pics but forgot it ........ don't even know if anything i said was in order or if u can understand it i just am very pissed right now i need a h22a bad and spent like 200 bucks in gas and freakin toll costs ...... just want to warn evereyone before u choose where to buy yes tom's engine prices are very low but guess what my mom was right u get what u pay for................... Jesse
Old 02-02-2002, 12:56 PM
New User

Jesse,

as i did mention to you these are not the guys i deal with on a regular basis. I mentioned to you that if you wanted a swap i would need a deposit and have my regular supplier ship me an engine. But you didnt want to send me a deposit and i had to find you something local to me that you can look at without me having to order something. Since all i had to work with is few guys around here this is the only place i found. I have never delt with these guys and i dont deal with them on a reg basis. My supplier i deal with i never have problems with and have many customers with posative feed back. I will be honest with you this was the first time i saw this shop me and Jesse went to and i didnt know how they delt business . I was not pleased my self of the conditions as Jesse mentioned and how the engines are kept. I am sorry Jesse that this went bad, but if you are still interested in an engine and tranny iw ill send you pics of the actual engine i will send you and i will take off the 200 bux you wasted in gas in getting up here. Again sorry that this went sour but i did tell you that these are not my regular guys i deal with.

2001silvergsr should have some pics for you that he will post up of his Type r swap im about to send him. You will see the cond of the engine and you will see what kind of stuff i deal with on a daily basis. I could provide you with guys contact info you can all email and ask about my swap conditions i have sent them and had no problems,. check out my old site and read customers feed back and feel free to email anyone of them. http://turbohyundai.dhs.org/tomsengines
Old 02-02-2002, 05:56 PM

Here are two pics of the motor Tom is supposed to send me on Monday. This is supposed to a 98 type r. What do you guys think. Im a little shaky right now with whole deal. But he gave me block # and trans # and sent these pics. Since he was late he is giving me new axles with swap and reduceing price by $100. Gimme some opinions please.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:02 PM

poo poo, that didnt work. lemme try again. Dam imagestation wont leave my pics, how annoying. What other hosting sites can I use to post pics. Anyhow, heres the link to the album.

well what do you guys think? TIA

[Modified by 2001silvergsr, 11:03 PM 2/2/2002] http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292068207

[Modified by 2001silvergsr, 1:59 AM 2/3/2

[Modified by 2001silvergsr, 2:02 AM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks pretty good but its nothing like seeing it in person. What did it cost? I hope everything works out OK!!

[Modified by letsride, 3:16 AM 2/3/2002]
Old 02-02-2002, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (letsride)

Originally $5300, but now $5200 and new axles too. This was to compensate me for delay in shipping.
Old 02-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its looks good in the pics. Keep us posted!!
Old 02-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (letsride)

Man you all need to back off some. I got an h22 from tom and its running great. It came with a few minor piece broken but he fixes it asap. All the motors are used its not gonna be damn perfect mine was kinda dirty but so what who buys a motor for looks all i care about is the power. Tom sells good stuff i don't know why you all are bad mouthin him.
Old 02-03-2002, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (Accord15)

yeah guys, i can safely say i have done a couple deals for tom and his motors come out in top shape ..lil dirty but heck no lost hp there ..and yes even though he says the TPS is fine ..that thing is always cracked, but hey poo poo happens!
Old 02-03-2002, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (chameleon)

First of all, I am not bad mouthing anyone. Just telling what has happened in the purchase so far. I assume you (accord15) are not speaking to me. I have been pretty objective in this post, even posted pics Tom sent me.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:23 AM

What kind of broken stuff do you usually find? Are these pieces cheap to replace and what is considered stuff that the vendor should replace if broken? Are the distributors and exhuast manifolds still intact?
Old 02-03-2002, 07:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (KGAccord)

Thanks guys for sticking up for me here These 2 guys are just 2 of many that have recieved stuff from me and actually both happen to be h22a's. They both sent their money up front and they both recieved their product that they ordered.

KGaccord,

The odd time the TPS sensor at the back would be broken or small fragile stuff that might get cracked in the time its being shipped to the cutsomer. Most times your old sensors from your car would work in place of them. Yes distributor,manifolds (intake and exhuast) are intact and in working order.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You aren't really bad mouthing him and i can understand your point but that other guy is makin it seem like tom sells crap and i am just making sure people know how satisfied i am with my motor from tom. He sells good stuff cheap
Old 02-03-2002, 07:27 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (Accord15)

ok maybe i did make it sound like tom is selling crap but go to that type r pic and the first one enlarge it okay see how nice that motor is let me just tell u a few things about the h22a he tried selling me first off all mounts where cut and broken i doubt he was replacing those axles what axles they where cut at the inner joint and left in the intermidate shaft and tranny all the hoses and wires like even some sensor wires where cut also the motor looked like it was on a boat ride from japan to here just sitting out in the open dist cap was cracked wires looked like they where from the WW2 ......i am sorry if i came out and said alot of bad stuff but tom should have checked into it too before i drove 500 miles i mean he lives maybe 10-15 mins away he could have drove and seen what it looked like before going there for the first time right with me and seen what he was selling, i am spending alot of money and spent alot of money in gas.... i think i deserve like what the guy buying the type "r" is getting right he should treat all his customers the same correct ?? so sorry if i came across bad but i am just saying what i saw and my point of view
Old 02-04-2002, 11:14 AM

Update: Tom shipped my motor today. He paid extra to have here overnight. I verified with shipper and it will be here tomorrow. Will post pics of packaging and actual motor again if anyone is interested.
OT: what image hosting sites will host pics, so I can post them. I hate having to send people to imagestation to look at my photo album. TIA
Old 02-04-2002, 01:30 PM
New User

Ok, we all need to stop[ talkign trash here!
I am also a happy recipient of a motor from tom, yes my install was hurrednous, but thats cuz i didnt know what the hell i was doin!
the motor was in great shape, started right up, and runs like a friggin champ!

As tom said, those arent people he usually deals with, tu i have seen alot of toms motors before they go out,a dn they are always in great shape, a few sensors get broken, but I mean,. they did make the trip[ from JAPAN for cryin out loud!

I say props to tom for bringing us cheap motors!

Rack me up as another happy customer!
Old 02-04-2002, 02:00 PM

this brings to mind a quote i read some time ago.

common sense vs. nonsense

"it's unwise to pay too much,but it's worse to pay too little.when you pay too much,
you lose a little money-that is all.when you pay too little,you sometimes lose everything,because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.the common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot-it can't be done.if you deal with the lowest bidder,it is well to add something for the risk you run,and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

-John Ruskin
(1819-1900)

philosophy class over
Old 02-04-2002, 02:58 PM
New User

Default Re: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ??? (bfast)

Thanks bfast but thats not how it works with me sorry. My prices are low and i send a good product. Just like many of these guys here posted that sound very happy with what they got from me. Thanks again guys for the kind words.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:28 PM

I would say his price is the going rate for a good JDM engine. Some places want more cause they are greedy and have the same product.

Tom, I plan on making a deposit at the end of the month for a H22 just to give you a heads up. If you can swap out the lude axles for 94-97 5sp accord axles that would be great.

Quick Reply: Anyone bought a swap from Tom's Engines in Canada ???