Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area?

I know you can roll with most anything, but to optimize suspension in a hybrid is a topic not talked about too much.

If you have a light car with a stock D series motor and then throw in an LS/VTEC or CRVTEC motor, I would imagine the weight distrubution and transfer properties would change quite a bit which would affect things like amount of toe-in, camber,etc. not to mention axle changes...

Anybody around here know anything or do work with these combos??
Old 08-10-2002, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (Ruby Civic)

Who is "Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area"?
Old 08-10-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (LSDelSol)

"jake" as in knowing anything...i can put all the basics in myself but was looking to a bit of tuning on the suspension in a couple of weeks
Old 08-10-2002, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (Ruby Civic)

You mean "jack" ?
Old 08-10-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (sparq)

yea
Old 08-11-2002, 04:17 PM

i kno jack he does good suspension work
Old 08-11-2002, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (dose)

i would say that if you raise the spring rate on the front springs slightly from a stock engine car it should handle good, on mine i am using the spring rates from an integra figuring that after i swap all parts from the teg the hatch is going to probally weight closer to a teg then a hatch, also using adjustible shocks you can make the rear end of the car handle how ever you want even if the spring rates are a little much for the rear FYI: i am running 350lbs springs in the front and 300lbs springs in the rear
Old 08-11-2002, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Anybody Know Jake About Installing Suspension On Hybrids in DC Area? (bikeboy80)

the combo i have now works pretty good with stock engine so will change with crvtec i imagine..

got GC's in back with 450* springs, tokico ils all around, suspension techniques sway bar in rear (prob going to do front also) and lowered on torsion bars ~1.2
Old 08-19-2002, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I predict that if you leave the torsion bars at that height and toss in the heavier engine, you will bottom out. I also read somewhere about having a certain bias ratio between the front and rear in terms of spring rates to keep a good handling car for your purpose. By the way, what are you building up this car for? Trying to make it a cone killer? or drag racer? or just trying to flip it off exit ramps? Haha.

I would like to get the 25mm OPM bars for my Civic someday, but I hear that OPM is currently out of stock of all t-bars. Mine currently bottom out sometimes on big highway bumps...but still is too soft for my tastes. This is at stock height, new KYB GR2s and 32 lb wheel/tire combo, building for a street car with occasional autocross duty (Miata is still the racecar).

Why don't you come with me the next time I take the Civic to the autocross? You can ride along or better yet, do some fun runs for yourself.

P.S.
I plan on doing all the suspension work myself. Got the Hyperflex bushing kit on order, new rear KYBs ready for install...then eventually t-bars. Changing the front swaybar seems to be the biggest challenge because you'd have to drop the subframe.

[Modified by squeaky, 9:01 AM 8/19/2002]