Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help

Ok to start off i dont really know much about a/c at all. I know alot of people will say i dont need a/c, but this is my daily driver and its pretty much a must. Its boiling hot outside and the leather interior is not helping heh.

I own a integra gsr that i swaped a h22a into. When i bought the car the a/c was removed. (I bought just a shell, all engine bay a/c parts have been removed) The car came factory with a/c tho so im pretty sure all the in-cabin parts are there.

Now heres my question. What do i need now lol (keep in mind i dont really know much about a/c)

1. I know hcp makes a bracket to use with this engine for the compressor but im wondering if that would still work with my full rad since this was probably made for a civic half rad?

2. Which a/c lines do i get. The ones from the integra im guessing?

3. What else do i need

Sorry for the noobies questions but if you can help me out that would be great

Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (lak8)

Here is the fun part. The bolt pattern on teh civic compressor is different then the civic. The HCP bracket is for the civic. If I remember correctly, the S and D ports on the integra are different then the civic.

If you get a civic compressor and integra system, you can go to a hose shop and have them make the connectors to the compressor so it will work.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (Turbogixxer)

danm i was kinda hoping it would just bolt up (integra lines into civic compressor). So i guess your say ill have the flanges changed to work with the civic pump.

I also read i need a slim fan on the condensor to work as a pusher type fan

Theres not that much info on fitting a/c on a integra h22. its all eg and ek

My main concern is will the full size integra radiator work? will it clear. on civics they use half size rads.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">danm i was kinda hoping it would just bolt up (integra lines into civic compressor). So i guess your say ill have the flanges changed to work with the civic pump.

I also read i need a slim fan on the condensor to work as a pusher type fan

Theres not that much info on fitting a/c on a integra h22. its all eg and ek

My main concern is will the full size integra radiator work? will it clear. on civics they use half size rads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The radiator shuld work. Install the fan as a pusher. I am sure the lines will not work. It is been a while since I tried it.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The radiator shuld work. Install the fan as a pusher. I am sure the lines will not work. It is been a while since I tried it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are all the lines that need to be fixed... hard line or rubber hose line type.

Im guessing probably not but would the whole under the hood setup from a civic work with the integra. (every thing in teh engine bay, including the lines) because the engine bay setup from eg and dc area is pretty much the same. if this did work i wouldn't have to make custom fittings on teh compressor

thanks again turbogixxer
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Are all the lines that need to be fixed... hard line or rubber hose line type.

Im guessing probably not but would the whole under the hood setup from a civic work with the integra. (every thing in teh engine bay, including the lines) because the engine bay setup from eg and dc area is pretty much the same. if this did work i wouldn't have to make custom fittings on teh compressor

thanks again turbogixxer </TD></TR></TABLE>

The lines that go into the compressor goes from a hard line to a rubber. You *could* swap the hard lines from the civic to the integra. Honsetly, a good hose shop will do everything fro less then $100 (most likely a lot less).

Civic:

Integra:

Old 07-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im guessing probably not but would the whole under the hood setup from a civic work with the integra. (every thing in teh engine bay, including the lines) because the engine bay setup from eg and dc area is pretty much the same. if this did work i wouldn't have to make custom fittings on teh compressor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did not see that.

You may end up doing more work to make the civic one work in teh integra, then modding the integra one to work.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did not see that.

You may end up doing more work to make the civic one work in teh integra, then modding the integra one to work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, this is what i thought also but it was a long shot.

I guess now ill just buy every thing from a integra that i need, would be nice to have a donor car that i could swap the a/c out of instead of buying part by part then trying to make them fit. so every thing from integra insept the compressor since i need one from a civic.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea, this is what i thought also but it was a long shot.

I guess now ill just buy every thing from a integra that i need, would be nice to have a donor car that i could swap the a/c out of instead of buying part by part then trying to make them fit. so every thing from integra insept the compressor since i need one from a civic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am sure you can find someone that has taken a/c out of their car. It will be like 100-200 used for everything. Get a NEW compressor (honda or a trusted aftermarket) and dryer.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am sure you can find someone that has taken a/c out of their car. It will be like 100-200 used for everything. Get a NEW compressor (honda or a trusted aftermarket) and dryer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

will do, i may get lucky because i think the guy who i bought the car from still has the a/c lines and condensor. not sure what the dryer is but im sure ill need one of those heh.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will do, i may get lucky because i think the guy who i bought the car from still has the a/c lines and condensor. not sure what the dryer is but im sure ill need one of those heh.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Number 15 in the civic pic.

The lines are the parts you really need. You have to get a new compressor (should) condenser is a should be replaced if it is old and the evap core too. Lines from honda will cost you $200-250 just for the lines.

I get OEM compressor for $225, condensor for $100, dryer for $20 and evap core for $100
Old 07-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh cool. yea ill get a new compresser and dryer for sure. im hoping to pick up every thing else ill need local for a good price. the evap core is the part inside the cabin i think? im hoping i can just keep the one i got. im also hoping a used condensor will work. i dont want to go cheap but also dont want to spend a fortune

The guy i bought the car from sold the a/c parts
Old 07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so far from what i gattered i need the lines, compressor, dryer, condensor, evap core (should have this already? in side cabin area).

Is there any thing else i need. Do i really need all the brackets and what not. sorry for the nobbies questions but i thought ill'd ask
Old 07-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's plenty of room in the Integra to fit the civic compressor and full size radiator. Even more so because the Integra engine bay is marginally longer than the Civic's.

If you changed to an entire civic system, you will need the half size radiator and half sized condensor. Otherwise, you can run the entire Integra system and custom lines to/from civic compressor as said.

To check if you have the evap core, look on the firewall and see if you have two alumnium pipes coming out. #20 and #22 on the scan above.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (stocky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stocky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There's plenty of room in the Integra to fit the civic compressor and full size radiator. Even more so because the Integra engine bay is marginally longer than the Civic's.

If you changed to an entire civic system, you will need the half size radiator and half sized condensor. Otherwise, you can run the entire Integra system and custom lines to/from civic compressor as said.

To check if you have the evap core, look on the firewall and see if you have two alumnium pipes coming out. #20 and #22 on the scan above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the help, yes i do have the evap core. the 2 connectors coming into the engine bay atm are caped off. I also talked to the owner before i bought the car and all the in-cab a/c parts are there. i just need the engine bay parts.

Thanks for all the help guys, ill keep posted on the progress i make. just got to find a complete a/c swap now
Old 09-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i thought ill'd update this post for people reading.

I used all the integra a/c lines, the ones around the h22 tranny were the shift linkage are needed to be tweaked/bended a bit but other then that all the lines fit without a problem. (this also may because my engine is raised an extra 2" then a normal swap)

The condensor bolted up in the stock location and i mounted 2 slim fans infront of it (rad and a/c)

I used a b-series compressor (integra compressor) which i bolted up to the h22 using a custom made bracket that i bought from per4mance here on honda-tech. He made the bracket by taking a HCP h22 d-series bracket and modded 2 of the 4 compressor mounts to work with a b-series compressor.

Everything worked out great and it bolted up like a charm. (i was quite supprized since just about everything on this car needed a custom touch)

If anyone needs any more info just pm me.

All i need to do now is buy a dryer/receiver and get the system charged.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet man.. i just now saw this thread.. props to kenny for helping u out so much..

i was gonna suggest what u already did. use the integra compressor and have a custom bracket made..

thats what i did on mine before.. h22/ek but i used the prelude compressor, costum bracket(prelude bracket shaved in half by about half an inch) w/ civic lines.

good job though.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (hondaZvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats what i did on mine before.. h22/ek but i used the prelude compressor, costum bracket(prelude bracket shaved in half by about half an inch) w/ civic lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow this is very good info as well. I looked into using the prelude compressor with the prelude bracket but found out right away since i have a duel core full rad that it wasn't going to fit even if i tried to make my own bracket. On a civic with a half rad im sure it wouldn't be a problem like you said

Also good news on the lines. So the civic lines bolt upto the prelude compressor without a problem?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow this is very good info as well. I looked into using the prelude compressor with the prelude bracket but found out right away since i have a duel core full rad that it wasn't going to fit even if i tried to make my own bracket. On a civic with a half rad im sure it wouldn't be a problem like you said

Also good news on the lines. So the civic lines bolt upto the prelude compressor without a problem? </TD></TR></TABLE>
yes the civic lines bolt up to the prelude compressor. HOWEVER, the civic lines were hitting the alternator. so i made a custom alternator bracket too.
then with all that hooked up, i had the prelude full size radiator in my civic as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (hondaZvic)

How much did they charge you for the custom bracket (if you dont mind me asking)?

Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (jaywest10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yes the civic lines bolt up to the prelude compressor. HOWEVER, the civic lines were hitting the alternator. so i made a custom alternator bracket too.
then with all that hooked up, i had the prelude full size radiator in my civic as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats good news then. i guess you can make it fit even with a full size rad with a little custom work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaywest10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much did they charge you for the custom bracket (if you dont mind me asking)?

</TD></TR></TABLE> I got the custom bracket from a member here "per4mance" who modded a hcp h22 d-series bracket to make it work with a b-series compressor. I think he only charged me around 75shipped or so but i cant remember. Good price since i think a new hcp bracket goes for 125shipped.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the custom bracket from a member here "per4mance" who modded a hcp h22 d-series bracket to make it work with a b-series compressor. I think he only charged me around 75shipped or so but i cant remember. Good price since i think a new hcp bracket goes for 125shipped. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, pm'd you
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help (jaywest10)

pm'ed back
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is good information
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding A/C into H22 swaped integra. Need Help

BUMMPPPPP