Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 d16y7 into a 96 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 d16y7 into a 96 civic ex

alright, so i went to the machanic today, and he told me they would be able to put the d16y7 into my 96 civic ex, but it wouldnt run because the wiring is to different, even though i have the 99 d16y7 wiring harness and ecu. somebody tell me something
Old 03-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 99 d16y7 into a 96 civic ex (96CIVICEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CIVICEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright, so i went to the machanic today, and he told me they would be able to put the d16y7 into my 96 civic ex, but it wouldnt run because the wiring is to different, even though i have the 99 d16y7 wiring harness and ecu. somebody tell me something</TD></TR></TABLE>

I find it amusing how some mechanics just don't know the world of Honda like some of us here do...ha ha ha..

Ok, I'm not sure of your whole engine scenerio, but I forsee a few small wiring problems with putting a Y7 in your EX.

I'm going to assume you have access to your EX engine and the Y7 engine (which I hope you do).

First off, the Y7 will bolt right in, no problem, reusing your existing EX engine's motor mounts, axles, shift linkage, etc.

I wonder though...
Did your Y7 come equipped with a Y7 distributor (dizzy)? if so cool. use it.
If not. damn. You'll have to mickymouse your EX dizzy to mount onto the Y7 head, not a big deal tho.

Wiring...
this is where I see a couple problems.
1) You'll want to reuse your EX engine harness on the Y7, because it is specifically designed for your OBD2a vehicle, whereas, a 99 engine harness is OBD2b spec and isn't fully designed for your vehicle. So, dump the idea of trying to use the 99 engine harness in your car......its a BAD IDEA. lol.

Now, your EX engine harness is setup to plug into a 2-wire IACV. The funky Y7 intake manifold uses a 3-wire IACV. So, you have an option here:

(A) completely remove the Y7 intake manifold system and put your EX intake system in place of it. This I HIGHLY suggest, because you won't have to worry about the IACV at all since you'll be reusing your complete EX intake manifold system and its sensors. And btw, the EX manifold will bolt right up to the Y7 head.

(B) if you need to use the Y7 intake manifold, you'll have to modify your 96 EX engine harness to reflect this. Mainly the IACV plug will have to be converted to the 3-wire IACV plug and you will have to adjust the ecu pinout location on plug B to reflect this as well. It sounds like a drag....and it is, thats why going with suggestion "A" is highly suggested to avoid doing any of this IACV wiring bs.

Now, once that's taken care of, the ECU becomes another issue. I don't know if you have access to the Y7 ecu, but if you do, there will be a problem if you want to use it while keeping the EX intake manifold on the Y7 engine. Yet again, the IACV becomes the issue here. The Y7 ECU will be looking for a signal from a 3-wire IACV, when you wouldn't be getting that signal at all -- why? -- because the EX intake uses a 2-wire style IACV. So, for a solution, you can either:

(A) run your EX ecu & ignore the check engine light you'd get for VTEC solenoid & pressure switch.

(B) convert to OBD1 & run a DX (P06) ecu (highly suggested).

2)Now, if you can get your hands on a 96-98 CX/DX engine harness & ecu, this would make your swap super simple. Retain the Y7 intake manifold system (dont use the EX i/m!), bolt the motor in, apply the 96-98 CX/DX engine harness on the engine, plug in the 96-98 CX/DX ecu and your done. No additional wiring work needed at all.

...again, I don't know what your exact scenerio is, but I hope this info helps you out for whatever aspects of your engine may be afloat.

* need water *
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: 99 d16y7 into a 96 civic ex (Katman)

THANKS MAN, THAT HELPS ALOT, SO BASICALLY I HAVE TO PUT ON AN EX ENGINE HARNESS, AND INTAKE SYSTEM ON THE Y7 AND GET AN EX ECU, IN ORDER TO MAKE THE SWAP WORK, CORRECT? AND DOES IT MATTER IF ITS EX STUFF OR CAND IT JUST BE OBDIIA STUFFF LIKE ANYTHING OFF A 96-98?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:00 PM

YOU SAID: First off, the Y7 will bolt right in, no problem, reusing your existing EX engine's motor mounts, axles, shift linkage, etc.
WILL IT GO RIGHT IN IF I USE THE Y7 ENGINE MOTOR MOUNTS, AXLES, SHIFT LINKAGE, ETC.?

Modified by 96CIVICEX at 4:25 AM 3/26/2004
Old 03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CIVICEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YOU SAID: First off, the Y7 will bolt right in, no problem, reusing your existing EX engine's motor mounts, axles, shift linkage, etc.
WILL IT GO RIGHT IN IF I USE THE Y7 ENGINE MOTOR MOUNTS, AXLES, SHIFT LINKAGE, ETC.?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it will.
you can use all of those parts off the Y7, they're exactly like your EX parts.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CIVICEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THANKS MAN, THAT HELPS ALOT, SO BASICALLY I HAVE TO PUT ON AN EX ENGINE HARNESS, AND INTAKE SYSTEM ON THE Y7 AND GET AN EX ECU, IN ORDER TO MAKE THE SWAP WORK, CORRECT?

-- correctamnudo

AND DOES IT MATTER IF ITS EX STUFF OR CAND IT JUST BE OBDIIA STUFFF LIKE ANYTHING OFF A 96-98?

-- what do you mean by "stuff" ? please be more specific.
Don't you own an EX? you should have all of the EX parts already....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-26-2004, 10:57 AM

WHAT I MEAN BY STUFF, IS THE ENGINE HARNESS, THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND TH ECU, CAN THOSE PARTS BE OFF OF ANY 96-98 MANUAL CIVIC, OR DO THEY HAVE TO BE OFF A 96-98 EX. AND I DONT HAVE THE EX MOTOR ANYMORE, BECAUSE I SOLD THE COMPLETE SWAP.

ALSO, IF I GET A 98 CX COMPLETE SWAP CAN I SWAP IT STRAIGHT INTO MY 96 EX, OR WILL I HAVE TO CHANGE PARTS ON IT TO MAKE IT WORK. THANKS.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CIVICEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WHAT I MEAN BY STUFF, IS THE ENGINE HARNESS, THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AND TH ECU, CAN THOSE PARTS BE OFF OF ANY 96-98 MANUAL CIVIC, OR DO THEY HAVE TO BE OFF A 96-98 EX. AND I DONT HAVE THE EX MOTOR ANYMORE, BECAUSE I SOLD THE COMPLETE SWAP.

ALSO, IF I GET A 98 CX COMPLETE SWAP CAN I SWAP IT STRAIGHT INTO MY 96 EX, OR WILL I HAVE TO CHANGE PARTS ON IT TO MAKE IT WORK. THANKS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, like I said in my original long-*** reply ...
If you get the complete 96-98 CX/DX engine/trans/wiring harness/ecu/motor mounts/shift linkage/axles (aka complete changeover) ... you can use it all in your EX, no problem. Everything will bolt in & plug n' play as long as you use a CX/DX engine harness + ECU! ... NOT an EX engine harness & ECU.

I mearely mentioned using reusing your EX engine harness & ecu because I assumed you still had your EX engine & parts which is not the case. So, we can blow off the whole idea of re-using anything EX engine harness & ECU related.

Sorry if I caused you some confusion but thats what happens when information isn't fully explained