Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort....

lol, i said stage III because ive tried everything, literally, im starting to believe in sol curses

alright, i have a 93 del sol si w/98 jdm type r swap w/ bolt ons. Ive had problems with boiling fluids back into the resevoir, everytime the problem goes away, it comes back a few days later to taunt me. It was working perfect 2 days ago, i took my car to emissions yesterday and passed however when they were driving my car to the parking lot i noticed it was leaking fluids, i popped the hood and there was fluid boiling into the resevoir and smoking. The temp needle on my dash was at 1/2 point which is normal operating temperature, but obviously something isnt right if its boiling the fluids. I also noticed yesterday mourning that the thermastat opened up immediately after i started my car, i thought they didnt open till normal operating temperature? And today when i started it, it remained closed and i didnt have time to wait to see if it was gonna open up again or not.

Here is a list of the parts that have been replaced

Brand new Radiator
Brand new Radiator Fan Assembly "well its from a junkyard but i cleaned up the internals"
Brand new Coolant Temperature Sensor
Brand new Thermastat
Brand new Water Pump
Brand new Timing Belt
Brand new Hoses

Im going to let it idle today and see if the thermastat opens up when it gets midway, if it dosnt im gonna pull the thermastat and see if it is flowing without it installed.

Right after i got the new water pump installed and belt we started the car, waited 35 minutes for it it idle its way to operating temperature and once it got hot enough the thermastat opened up and the bottom hose got hot like the top. Then the fan kicked on several moments later and everything was working properly.

If it works without a thermastat installed im going to buy a thermastat from acura because this is the third one ive bought from autozone and im not 100% positive they are even selling me the right one. They dont sell a thermastat for a type r so they sell me the one for a dohc acura integra, im assuming thats the gsr.

I appreciate any time you put into this thread with helping me fix my car. The good news is i passed emissions and after 1 year of down time, its almost legal to drive.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort.... (digital sol)

Well if your not sure the autozone works go and get a acura Thermastat.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if your not sure the autozone works go and get a acura Thermastat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, make sher you've bled the cooling system thoroughly (with heater valve opened). If you still see bubbles after the fan has kicked on twice, you've prolly got a cracked head, block, or a blown headgasket. Thats worst case...
Good luck!!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort.... (mikehonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikehonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, make sher you've bled the cooling system thoroughly (with heater valve opened). If you still see bubbles after the fan has kicked on twice, you've prolly got a cracked head, block, or a blown headgasket. Thats worst case...
Good luck!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I was going to say. Does it stop bubbling as soon as you turn the car off? If so, you might be seeing exhaust gas leaking into the coolant.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort.... (Chris F)

Verify cylinder sealing.....i.e. headgasket
Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort.... (v-attack)

i took my car and it got inspected today "safety inspection" and it passed, on the way home it met operating temperatures and i check the lower hose when i got home, both hoses were hot and it seemed the thermastat had opened up
Old 12-10-2004, 07:47 PM

So your car is ok now?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Type R keeps Boiling Fluids, Help, Last Resort.... (Bbasso)

thermastat seems to be opening up and everything because both hoses get hot, i think it might be my rad cap, its a new cap but i gotta go outside and make sure its a 1 bar cap or 14.7+psi cap.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this may sounds dumb, but it happens alot, but is the fan blowing the correct way&gt;? Pulling air INTO the engine bay
Old 12-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pm sent