94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question. - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #26
Technical Hero
 
HondaPartsHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC, 28227
Posts: 9,800
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

HondaPartsHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #27
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero View Post
Thank you.

I will keep the switched ground (-) at A17, and then look to pick up 12v (+) signal YEL/BLK wire. I have heard there is a "dead end" connector on the driver side of the engine bay? I will look for this.

Then I need to figure out if I have the solenoid for '94 & '95, or the '96 - '01, since the plugs changed polarity :-(

'94-'95 Valve Assembly, Bypass Control Solenoid 36163-PT2-004 - Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK VALVE ASSY., BYPASS CONTROL SOLENOID Great Prices on Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK Parts - Fast Delivery! : Honda Replacement Parts Acura Parts Online Honda Parts And Accessories - HondaAcuraOnline.com

'96-'01 Valve Assembly, Bypass Control Solenoid 36163-P72-003 - Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK VALVE ASSY., BYPASS CONTROL SOLENOID Great Prices on Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK Parts - Fast Delivery! : Honda Replacement Parts Acura Parts Online Honda Parts And Accessories - HondaAcuraOnline.com
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #28
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 63
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
Thank you.

I will keep the switched ground (-) at A17, and then look to pick up 12v (+) signal YEL/BLK wire. I have heard there is a "dead end" connector on the driver side of the engine bay? I will look for this.

Then I need to figure out if I have the solenoid for '94 & '95, or the '96 - '01, since the plugs changed polarity :-(

'94-'95 Valve Assembly, Bypass Control Solenoid 36163-PT2-004 - Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK VALVE ASSY., BYPASS CONTROL SOLENOID Great Prices on Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK Parts - Fast Delivery! : Honda Replacement Parts Acura Parts Online Honda Parts And Accessories - HondaAcuraOnline.com

'96-'01 Valve Assembly, Bypass Control Solenoid 36163-P72-003 - Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK VALVE ASSY., BYPASS CONTROL SOLENOID Great Prices on Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK Parts - Fast Delivery! : Honda Replacement Parts Acura Parts Online Honda Parts And Accessories - HondaAcuraOnline.com
Ok so obd1 p72 ecu, pink/blue goes to a17 and yelllow/black goes to 12v constant. Just making sure before I hook it up. And I could potentially find a 12v dead hookup on the driver side fire wall. If any one has a picture of this hookup point for reference that would be great. Also I just realized that the top piece on the IAB is cracked and broken, reference part number 5 in the diagram for the IAB for 94-95. Can I just hook up a hose to it and plug the other end?
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #29
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
Ok so obd1 p72 ecu, pink/blue goes to a17 and yelllow/black goes to 12v constant. Just making sure before I hook it up. And I could potentially find a 12v dead hookup on the driver side fire wall. If any one has a picture of this hookup point for reference that would be great. Also I just realized that the top piece on the IAB is cracked and broken, reference part number 5 in the diagram for the IAB for 94-95. Can I just hook up a hose to it and plug the other end?
Looks like part #5 is a $13 filter, you could just replace it...
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

What gauge are these wires?
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #31
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
Ok so obd1 p72 ecu, pink/blue goes to a17 and yelllow/black goes to 12v constant. Just making sure before I hook it up. And I could potentially find a 12v dead hookup on the driver side fire wall. If any one has a picture of this hookup point for reference that would be great. Also I just realized that the top piece on the IAB is cracked and broken, reference part number 5 in the diagram for the IAB for 94-95. Can I just hook up a hose to it and plug the other end?
And you can actually buy pink wire w/ blue stripe! 16 gauge GXL: 16 Gauge GXL Wire | HARLEY AUTOMOTIVE WIRE STRIPE WIRE 300 COLOR AVAILABLE ANY LENGTH
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:44 AM   #32
Technical Hero
 
HondaPartsHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC, 28227
Posts: 9,800
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Maybe I'm thinking too simply but why not run the wire to A17, then the other side to a switched 12V source (I've often just tapped the EVAP plug since its right there. Do a test, start at idle to see if they are closed and then rev it to the switched RPM) and see if it operates as normal. If not just reverse the wires in the connector and see if it does it then.
HondaPartsHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #33
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero View Post
Maybe I'm thinking too simply but why not run the wire to A17, then the other side to a switched 12V source (I've often just tapped the EVAP plug since its right there. Do a test, start at idle to see if they are closed and then rev it to the switched RPM) and see if it operates as normal. If not just reverse the wires in the connector and see if it does it then.
That is funny, I was thinking of the YEL/BLK 12v (+) from Evap as well.

You are not thinking too simply, it is just that my head and intake are off right now, and while I am waiting for a ball hone I thought I would clean up the wiring under the intake.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ident-3276594/
So I was trying to get it all correct now, w/o the benefit of being able to troubleshoot the IAB w/ engine running.

Make sense?

Thank you for your help!
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:56 AM   #34
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 63
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

I just personally didn't want to eliminate the evap completely. But if I can just tap into the wire and still have the evap than that sounds like a way that would work for me. If I'm not understanding this correctly than let me know. Pink/blue goes to a17 and yellow/black can be tapped into evap wire for simple hook up? I will try this method like you said and see if it works.
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 AM   #35
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
I just personally didn't want to eliminate the evap completely. But if I can just tap into the wire and still have the evap than that sounds like a way that would work for me. If I'm not understanding this correctly than let me know. Pink/blue goes to a17 and yellow/black can be tapped into evap wire for simple hook up? I will try this method like you said and see if it works.
I think that is correct, and that is the way I plan to do it.
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #36
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Hopefully my last question (for a while); If I have been running around w/o my IAB working, do you think I will feel a noticeable difference when it works?

With a cut-off at 5750 RPM, I think I spend 85% of time below that RPM, so the engine has been using the short runners all that time...
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #37
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 63
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
Looks like part #5 is a $13 filter, you could just replace it...
is it something that I can just plug until I can get the replacement part? It looks like it's just a cap. Does that part serve a purpose?
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #38
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 63
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

I'm jj

okay so I hope you guys can see these pictures...


so above is the main plug for the ecu, and so if you look at the red wire on the far right that would be the Pcs (evap purge control solenoid valve) in the manual as for the other two wires that are for the evap are not on the harness. Is this normal? Also since the red wire for the evap is the wire I'm connecting the IAB to. will the IAB operate the same as the evap and open up after the engine has warmed up and will it shut when the evap decides to shut Itself. I guess what I'm wondering is will the IAB function the way it's intended hooked up to the same wire controlling the evap? I know this seems to be a drawn out thread on this issue, but I am very new to this type of thing. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 PM   #39
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
Hopefully my last question (for a while); If I have been running around w/o my IAB working, do you think I will feel a noticeable difference when it works?

With a cut-off at 5750 RPM, I think I spend 85% of time below that RPM, so the engine has been using the short runners all that time...
From my understanding your torque curve will have a flat spot.

The GSR intake manifold has two set of runners, short and long. Essentially you get three stages from the intake and head.

Below 4400rpm - Long runners, no VTEC

4400-5750rpm - long runners, VTEC

Above 5750rpm - short runners, VTEC

If you don't connect the IABs you'll end up without the short runners. Creating a power curve similar to a B16/Type R.

That's my understanding at least.





eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #40
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.







eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:59 AM   #41
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

I'm a bit interested in this as well. I've got a 1992 VX and a 1995 B18C1 and OBD 1 P72 ECU.

What I'm not understanding is the need to find a connection for the YEL/BLK wire.

I thought that repinning A20 to A17 was all that was required. The YEL/BLK would be taken care of with the C125 and C127.





Since power (YEL/BLK) is deliver through the cabin harness at C301 to the engine harness at C125, and assuming a GSR engine harness, the YEL/BLK should already be there. Leaving only the A20/A17 repinning of the ECU.

To add the EVAP control solenoid you would have to run a wire from a YEL/BLK source to the right side of the GSR engine harness as well as a wire from A20 to the harness.

Is this not correct (for OBD1 Civic to OBD1 B18C1)?





eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #42
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 63
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

My 94 integra is the Ls and I'm useing the Ls harness for my B18C gsr motor. Both motor and harness are obd1. As I understand it I should pin pink/blue into a17 and the other wire would get tapped into the evap wire going to a20. But with that hook up my question was will the IAB still function the way it is intended tapped into the evap?
Hybridguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #43
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
My 94 integra is the Ls and I'm useing the Ls harness for my B18C gsr motor. Both motor and harness are obd1. As I understand it I should pin pink/blue into a17 and the other wire would get tapped into the evap wire going to a20. But with that hook up my question was will the IAB still function the way it is intended tapped into the evap?
You aren't going to have a PNK/BLU wire. That's exclusive to the GSR engine harness.

You'll move the RED A20 wire on the ECU to the A17 slot (it's open on you ECU). If you want an evap solenoid you'll need to run a wire from A20 and another wire from a YEL/BLK source.

For the IAB the YEL/BLK is the same YEL/BLK to the evap solenoid. Look at the second picture in my post above. You'll see the for the LS/RS harness the evap has a deadicated YEL/BLK. By moving A20 to A17 on the ECU you creating a complete IAB connector from the evap connector.

At least that's what I'm seeing.





eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #44
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridguitarist View Post
I'm jj

okay so I hope you guys can see these pictures...


so above is the main plug for the ecu, and so if you look at the red wire on the far right that would be the Pcs (evap purge control solenoid valve) in the manual as for the other two wires that are for the evap are not on the harness. Is this normal? Also since the red wire for the evap is the wire I'm connecting the IAB to. will the IAB operate the same as the evap and open up after the engine has warmed up and will it shut when the evap decides to shut Itself. I guess what I'm wondering is will the IAB function the way it's intended hooked up to the same wire controlling the evap? I know this seems to be a drawn out thread on this issue, but I am very new to this type of thing. Any info is greatly appreciated.
I can see the pictures.
A few thoughts after reading your post...
First, disregard the FSM page showing a drawing of the connector you have posted above, it is for OBD2. The connector you are holding in your hand is OBD1. This is the same trap I fell into earlier in this thread.
The OBD1 connector is like this - the sucky thing is the '94 Integra manual does not label the pins like the OBD2 manual you included:



Next, what ECU/ECM do you have in your vehicle? You know you cannot use the LS computer to run your B18C1, right? Before you worry about any of these other details, make sure you have the appropriate ECU/ECM in place.

I believe you said you want to keep your Evap Purge, yes? Then just leave the red wire in A20. That and your YEL/BLK from the PGM-FI main relay will power your evap. A20 should provide switched ground (-) once the engine coolant temp is > 163 F. Make sense?

You need to run a wire from A17 to your IAB solenoid for switched ground (-). A17 should supply ground (-) when the engine is tarted all the way up to 5750 RPM, at which point it will disco the (-) and the solenoid will deactivate. So no, the A17 pin will not behave the same as the A20 pin, which is what I think you were trying to ask.

I do not know if the A connector has metal terminals present in the empty spaces (A17). If yes, great - get it out and crimp your wire for A17 in there and then run it out to your IAB. Depending on what year IAB solenoid you have, wire it to the correct side of the connector. The other terminal will need to get 12v (+) signal. I am going to go with that YEL/BLK that is powering Evap Purge as has been suggested due to its proximity.

If your ECU/ECM connector A does not have a terminal in A17, you will need to find one. I think HondaPartsHero sells many electrical connector parts. I would start with a PM to him/her.

Does that help?

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 01-28-2017 at 01:51 PM.
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #45
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post
From my understanding your torque curve will have a flat spot.

The GSR intake manifold has two set of runners, short and long. Essentially you get three stages from the intake and head.

Below 4400rpm - Long runners, no VTEC

4400-5750rpm - long runners, VTEC

Above 5750rpm - short runners, VTEC

If you don't connect the IABs you'll end up without the short runners. Creating a power curve similar to a B16/Type R.

That's my understanding at least.

eH.
If my solenoid is always off b/c it is connected to switched ground (-) and ground (-) on the engine block, I think I have been using the short runners the entire time!

Based on this:

94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #46
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post


eH.
Sweet image! Where did you get this?
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #47
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post
I'm a bit interested in this as well. I've got a 1992 VX and a 1995 B18C1 and OBD 1 P72 ECU.

What I'm not understanding is the need to find a connection for the YEL/BLK wire.

I thought that repinning A20 to A17 was all that was required. The YEL/BLK would be taken care of with the C125 and C127.





Since power (YEL/BLK) is deliver through the cabin harness at C301 to the engine harness at C125, and assuming a GSR engine harness, the YEL/BLK should already be there. Leaving only the A20/A17 repinning of the ECU.

To add the EVAP control solenoid you would have to run a wire from a YEL/BLK source to the right side of the GSR engine harness as well as a wire from A20 to the harness.

Is this not correct (for OBD1 Civic to OBD1 B18C1)?

eH.
If you have the GSR engine harness, then I bet you are correct, you have connectors for IAB and purge. The starter of this thread states they have a JDM B18C(5?), so no IAB would have come with that, eh? As for me, The shop that swapped my B18C1 put in from a '96 (OBD2) and did not wire the IAB correctly for me. They did run a wire from A17 for me, so I will use that, but I do need 12v (+) to complete the circuit, thus my need to tap into that YEL/BLK wire...

Last edited by 94 Civic Si; 12-05-2016 at 04:55 PM.
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #48
Honda-Tech Member
 
94 Civic Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Estados Unidos
Posts: 826
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHMxhACk View Post
You aren't going to have a PNK/BLU wire. That's exclusive to the GSR engine harness.

You'll move the RED A20 wire on the ECU to the A17 slot (it's open on you ECU). If you want an evap solenoid you'll need to run a wire from A20 and another wire from a YEL/BLK source.

For the IAB the YEL/BLK is the same YEL/BLK to the evap solenoid. Look at the second picture in my post above. You'll see the for the LS/RS harness the evap has a deadicated YEL/BLK. By moving A20 to A17 on the ECU you creating a complete IAB connector from the evap connector.

At least that's what I'm seeing.

eH.
Or if he wants to keep the Evap Purge, leave the correct color wire in A20 and run wire from A17 to IAB, eh?

I did find some PNK/BLU wire and ordered it. It may be overkill, but why not have the correct color stuff if possible?

Pink wire w/ blue stripe: 16 gauge GXL: 16 Gauge GXL Wire | HARLEY AUTOMOTIVE WIRE STRIPE WIRE 300 COLOR AVAILABLE ANY LENGTH
94 Civic Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #49
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
Or if he wants to keep the Evap Purge, leave the correct color wire in A20 and run wire from A17 to IAB, eh?

I did find some PNK/BLU wire and ordered it. It may be overkill, but why not have the correct color stuff if possible?

Pink wire w/ blue stripe: 16 gauge GXL: 16 Gauge GXL Wire | HARLEY AUTOMOTIVE WIRE STRIPE WIRE 300 COLOR AVAILABLE ANY LENGTH
Exactly.

Two wires will need to be run.

There's also VTEC to consider. You and I have it the OP does not.





eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #50
yippee-ki-yay
iTrader: (12)
 
eHMxhACk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 955
Default Re: 94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si View Post
If you have the GSR engine harness, then I bet you are correct, you have connectors for IAB and purge. The starter of this thread states they have a JDM B18C(5?), so no IAB would have come with that, eh? As for me, THe shop that swapped my B18C1 put in from a '96 (OBD2) and did not correct IAB correctly for me. They did run a wire from A17 for me, so I will use that, but I do need 12v (+) to complete the circuit, thus my need to tap into that YEL/BLK wire...
If OP had a GSR B18C he would have IABs and need to wire them if using an LS engine harness.

If OP had a Type R B18C he doesn't have IABs.

The difference between the two is usually with the head, in this case we're talking about the intake manifold.

Without more information, or a picture, we don't know which B18C engine OP has.





eH.
eHMxhACk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 integra Ls to gsr swap IAB question. Hybridguitarist Hybrid / Engine Swaps 1 11-28-2016 03:00 PM
Best way to go about the GSR manifold with boost rich7777 Forced Induction 4 03-03-2011 08:11 AM
Gsr Intake manifold MOD (IAB removal) ... Ls_dx Tech / Misc 3 02-17-2009 08:09 AM
can i disable the GSR secondaries on the intake manifold a1320honda Forced Induction 6 10-17-2007 08:00 PM
IAB wiring help me TurboBumblBee Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 30 03-05-2003 10:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:22 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send