Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75k too much on a gsr motor??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75k too much on a gsr motor??

I want to buy this gsr motor from import auto salvage but the only ones they got for around the price I wannna pay is at 75k. I was wondering at around that milage....what do I need to look out for besides the obvious, belts, water pump. what gaskets would need to be replaced and what else should I look out for and get them to change out for it to run like new.

sorry for the repost, just thought i might get a better response here.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (leadtrum)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadtrum &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I want to buy this gsr motor from import auto salvage but the only ones they got for around the price I wannna pay is at 75k. I was wondering at around that milage....what do I need to look out for besides the obvious, belts, water pump. what gaskets would need to be replaced and what else should I look out for and get them to change out for it to run like new.

sorry for the repost, just thought i might get a better response here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep to the obvious stuff, yes, and get a Compression test on that motor...ask for a compression test or do it yourself. If the numbers are low, then more than likely the rings are going south which = rebuild time.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

75k is not too much. I had that on mine when I got it. As katman said look for the obvious things and signs of abuse.

See if they'll let you pull the valve cover to see if things are mucked up.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (1st-hybrid)

[QUOTE=1st-hybrid] obvious things and signs of abuse. [ QUOTE] explain?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think 75k is really high especially if the price is right. You should get a couple of years out of it before rebuild. I don't know the service history of the motor of course.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (koco)

Start with an outside observation. Engine, tranny, alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor, distributor, starter, axles, wiring harness. Make sure what you want is there...
Next inspect each part thoroughly. Make sure bolts are tightened, fuel injectors are there, wiring harness isn't cut. Some people will use extra engines as a parts store and take excess bolts/parts from them.
Make sure the axles are well seated in the tranny and that they arent snapped inside or anything. Also make sure the ends arent flanged from repeated hammering.
Pick the engine up and make sure the oil pan isnt leaking or severely dented. Hondas usually have a decent amount of clearance between oil pan and oil pump but signs of leakage (anywhere) can mean a faulty engine.
Take the 10mm nuts off the valve cover and take a look inside to make sure there arent any kind of nasty composites on top. Smell it too.. Make sure it doesnt smell smokey. Take off the timing belt cover while you have the valve cover off and turn the pulley so that the cams are TDC to make sure that it was timed correctly and that the timing belt isnt ripped (also a bad sign).
Pull off each spark plug to make sure they dont look like crap. If everything checks out then fork over the money and be on your way.
Of course keep his name, addy, phone # handy just in case. As soon as you can crank the engine.. make sure you put a compression tester on it. Make sure they are all about the same pressure and not more than 20 psi apart. It really helps if you know someone with the same model car and take a picture of that engine to compare.
All I can think of right now.. Let me know if that helped at all.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (Yougod)

depends on how much they are asking for and for what year motor.

But IMHO 75k isn't anything for honda motors. I would get it only if the price was right. You should still be able to make another 50k or more given the fact that it was not driven down to the dirt.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (Charlie Moua)

how much are they asking?that sounds like a lot of miles though but then again you see all these usdm stock engines with like 150+ mi.that engine was probably harassed unlike stock usdm engines.btw is it jdm?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:33 PM

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (all-mota)

its like 3500, which isn't bad considering all the stuff they check out and the customer service. Yes its hundreds more, but I'd rather support bussinesses like this and pay for peice of mind.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:16 AM
LHC

i bought mine with roughly 46,000 miles on it for 2800AUD which is roughly 1800USD,,,gosh!!! the unequality of world markets
Old 07-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 75k too much on a gsr motor?? (spoonedcivicG4)

I bought mine with 186000 on it and it pulled me a a 14.7 in my EG with nothing but an apexi N1 on it. Pulls strong as hell. Go for it.