Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG

Now, I've done searchs and none of them are really clear about potential wiring problems and where to go to get it fixed. I was told (I'm not really sure) that EG's are OBD1 (I don't even know what that means) and the 2001 ITR motors are OBD2 and I would need a new wiring harness to make it work. That's fine with me, I just don't know where to go to get one. I was told that I would need something from Hondata (I'm not really sure what I need from them either) and a P28 chip. Then there was conflicts on what chip to use. I need to know for sure before I go and spend the money.

The motor is the B18C-R from a 2001 ITR

Where do I find this OBD2 to OBD1 conversion from? And do I even need one at alll?

The chip I should put into the car, I've heard P28, P31, and all these other P's that I know nothing about. Which one do I use and where do I find them? Better yet how much should it cost?

Lastly, this Hondata situation. I have no idea what the hell I need from them but whatever it is, tell me and where to find one

I want to do the swap and have it run correctly. Money isn't really that much of an issue (right now). So websites or something would help me out greatly.

I'm swapping the B18C into a 1994 Honda Civic Si
Old 06-11-2005, 08:07 AM

Ill se if I can find the link you need, but you can use the engine harness thats on the type r motor and it will directly plug into the chassis harness on your SI. Your car already has vtec so there is no extra wireing that needs to be done. The wireing is plug and play. As for the ecu, you can use your stock ecu which is a p28 and have a chip installed that has been programed to run the B18. Ill try and find a link that will tell you exactly what mounts to use and about the wiring.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:11 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (TheGeneral)

If you dont even know the difference between OBDI and II, then you shouldn't be doing this swap.

92-95 Civic are OBDI. Your 01 JDM ITR motor is OBDII. So, take the OBD1 harness off of your stock motor in your civic, and modify it to fit the ITR motor. You will have to lengthen a few wires, (IAT, and O2 Sensor wires) and add a couple as well. (VTEC wires and knock sensor) if your car isn't an EX/SI. Then you should plug and play. As for an ECU, use a P28 or a P30 chipped with an ITR program. You can run Hondata, but you will still need a P28 or P30 ECU.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your in san diego.

1. switch to obd2
2. get the car legally barred with the state
3. rest easy without fear of having your hood popped and get your smog checks done without hassle

or

1. stay obd1, chip your p28
2. drop your engine inorder to smog your car
3. hope you dont get stopped and asked to pop your hood.
4. if #3 happens and your told to see a state smog ref. >>>> sell your engine, and sell your car. unless you want to pay the huge illegal emissions fee.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (cxSHOE)

B18C5-EH2

do a search in the archive under this name... tom has some write ups on that swap. but like i said the wiring will be an issue for you in california
Old 06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't there some website that I can go to that will swith the wires from OBDI to OBDII? I mean, it shouldn't cost that much right?

Isn't there also a place to get the chip for my ECU? I was planning on getting a Spoon ECU from JDMshit.com so I should get that first and then get the chip right? I am in San Diego, where would I get it installed at (the chip for the ECU that is)?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isn't there some website that I can go to that will swith the wires from OBDI to OBDII? I mean, it shouldn't cost that much right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1 sourcing the correct additional harness is costly
2. labor to make it bar legal is VERY costly and time consuming for a shop.

3. best to get everything yourself and get a helms manual and do it yourself.

also once you decide to get it you can do a write up of this change over in the hybrid section. and you will get alot more people wanting to show you how to do it. since there is no actual write up. more of the hard core hybrids will chime in to make it work for you.. but thats up to you.

once i get all my pieces i will be making a write up on it. with the help of the tech/hybrid section.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

3. best to get everything yourself and get a helms manual and do it yourself.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where would I get one of those from? I mean, I was told it's just extending some wires. It doesn't sound that hard.

The chip for the ECU, where should I get one from?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a USDM OBD2 wireharness off the GSR or ITR and everything is just plug'n play.

But then you're located in CA so you might need to do a few thing to legalized it
Old 06-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (HATCHingMN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HATCHingMN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a USDM OBD2 wireharness off the GSR or ITR and everything is just plug'n play.

But then you're located in CA so you might need to do a few thing to legalized it</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you say plug and play you mean just by one and it'll hook straight up to my hatch?

What about the ECU chip? Where can I find one at?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well before i waste more time on this.. did you do an archive search on the name B18C5-EH2 ?? do that first and look at his swap thread this explains how this is a plug and play.

then you will need to buy the diagnostic port. this is so you can pass the state bar. if you dont have it hooked into your wiring you will never pass the smog test.

basically the main point is how legal are you going to go... plus you said your getting a B18C-R which as you wrote it is from japan. correct? if so you will also have to change certain things on the engine to meet us standards aswell. far as i recall you will need a usdm intake manifold. but unsure if the later model engines are the same as the usdm ones..

like i said earlier if you start a thread in the hybrid section once you getall the parts. you will have alot more specifif answers , answered.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the search that you suggested and I was told to get a OBDI GSR cables and to get a P28 chip for my ECU and then it's just "plug and play" (I take it that, that means, just plug it up and go). Other than a custom motor mount kit I should be good.

My last questions is probably the simplest of all (I've been asking and no one asnwered), I am going to get a Spoon ECU, I'll still need a p28 for that correct? And if so where can I get this chip from?

Old 06-12-2005, 04:31 PM

The P28 is the ECU (computer that runs your engine), not the chip. You want to get a chipped p28, which is a P28 computer with a chip in it to advance timing, and send more fuel, etc...
You are OBD1 (the On Board Diagnostic version 1 if you will). But becuase the engine is OBD2 (version 2, not as easy to modify with a chip) you can get a jumper harness that lets you run the OBD2engine in the OBD1 car.
I would suggest doing some research and really knowing what your talking about before doing this swap. WHEN things go wrong you will want to fix them and get back on the road. And if the engine is fromt he US, it isnt the B18C-R....its a B18C5.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did the search that you suggested and I was told to get a OBDI GSR cables and to get a P28 chip for my ECU and then it's just "plug and play" (I take it that, that means, just plug it up and go). Other than a custom motor mount kit I should be good.

My last questions is probably the simplest of all (I've been asking and no one asnwered), I am going to get a Spoon ECU, I'll still need a p28 for that correct? And if so where can I get this chip from?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well your getting the wrong information because you will not pass the car as a BAR car using a chipped p28 .

you want to make this a bar legal state smog reffed car? correct???? then you need to switch all your wiring to meet your obd2 engine set up. so you need to buy everything that is obd2 (ecu, vacuum canister, etc) so all your wiring and all emissions stuff need to be obd2). your injectors, your alternator, your distributor all need to get worked on since they are obd2. you HAVE to use a usdm itr p72 ecu. you need to wire in the diagnostic port, and you need to ad some other sensor wires from the ecu to the engine bay tower connectors.

like i said you need to decide exactly what you plan on doing and stick to it.... you can add the other stuff once your barred and legal.

you cant use spoon ecu, you cant use a chipped ecu, if you plan on doing a legal bar refed car. you will fail instantly.

and your keep saying your getting a b18c-r which i can only assume is a jdm spec type r engine? you havent answered this as of yet. if so then you will need a usdm intake manifold, header, usdm cat, usdm oem air filter box etc...)

like ive said before its not a simple plug and play. its very wire intensive . your best option is to buy all the parts first then start asking the questions. like on a step by step process...its much easier for you and for the people who will help you. because the overview is starting to be confusing as you can see from the post above... and we havent even accomplished anything ...

ill chime in once i know your starting your swap process.... :im done:
Old 06-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it's a B18C-R fresh out of a Japense Type-R. The thing about it is I was planning on spending about $5,000 for the exact same motor from Hmotorsonline right? So I find this one for $3,300 and I'm saving about $1,700. I was told it'll be pretty expensive to change it from OBDI (now that I know what that is) to OBDII. I figure I'm actually saving money all the way around by buying it this cheap. I'll talk to Josh (NiceDC2R) and find out what else I need. When I start the swap, I'll take pictures and post a "Write up" in the Hybrid section. I haven't seen one yet so I'll do it. That and how to change brakes and take off that annoying *** dust shield.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just use your civic's wireharness. Just add the vtec wire, you may have to make a couple wires longer and run a p28. Now you have a obd1 motor in a obd1 car You'll have to rewire the dist if you go that route unless you can get your hands on a obd1 dist.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (93b16hatch)

cxSHOE=know's his ****...

Oh yeah doesn't Diego have a special task force for heavily modified japanese vehicles(such as motor swapped cars, turbo...etc)? Forgot what they were called but I remember there was a group of people like that.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you dont even know the difference between OBDI and II, then you shouldn't be doing this swap.

92-95 Civic are OBDI. Your 01 JDM ITR motor is OBDII. So, take the OBD1 harness off of your stock motor in your civic, and modify it to fit the ITR motor. You will have to lengthen a few wires, (IAT, and O2 Sensor wires) and add a couple as well. (VTEC wires and knock sensor) if your car isn't an EX/SI. Then you should plug and play. As for an ECU, use a P28 or a P30 chipped with an ITR program. You can run Hondata, but you will still need a P28 or P30 ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU ARE AN IDIOT&gt;&gt;&gt;....DO NOT POST ANYMORE SINCE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (chad)

here is what you do...

Get ITR ENGINE, Axels, wireharness, header, shiftlinkage, throttle cable

take your engine axels shiftlinkage out of your 94 si

BUY A chipped p28 150-250 depending on where you get it

DROP ITR ENGINE IN....put dohc axels in, put shiftlinkage in, Might have to have your exhaust/cat modified to fit the ITR HEADER.

take your old ecu out put new chipped p28 or a p30 or a chipped p72 or chipped p05 or chipped p06

change oil
add tranny fluid
hookup radiator
put new itr throttle cable in....

fill radiator

START up

let it warm up
make sure rad fan starts

once it comes on

GO BEAT THE **** OUT OF YOUR CAR!!!!!!!

yes it is that easy...

can do it in 2 hours!!!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it's a B18C-R fresh out of a Japense Type-R. The thing about it is I was planning on spending about $5,000 for the exact same motor from Hmotorsonline right? So I find this one for $3,300 and I'm saving about $1,700. I was told it'll be pretty expensive to change it from OBDI (now that I know what that is) to OBDII. I figure I'm actually saving money all the way around by buying it this cheap. I'll talk to Josh (NiceDC2R) and find out what else I need. When I start the swap, I'll take pictures and post a "Write up" in the Hybrid section. I haven't seen one yet so I'll do it. That and how to change brakes and take off that annoying *** dust shield. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yea like i said it way easier to help you once you start the process. it will be time consuming and frustrating but in the end you'll have more appreciation for the car. let alone your hard work. send me your email and ill send you something that can be of help in the future.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is what you do...

Get ITR ENGINE, Axels, wireharness, header, shiftlinkage, throttle cable

take your engine axels shiftlinkage out of your 94 si

BUY A chipped p28 150-250 depending on where you get it

DROP ITR ENGINE IN....put dohc axels in, put shiftlinkage in, Might have to have your exhaust/cat modified to fit the ITR HEADER.

take your old ecu out put new chipped p28 or a p30 or a chipped p72 or chipped p05 or chipped p06

change oil
add tranny fluid
hookup radiator
put new itr throttle cable in....

fill radiator

START up

let it warm up
make sure rad fan starts

once it comes on

GO BEAT THE **** OUT OF YOUR CAR!!!!!!!

yes it is that easy...

can do it in 2 hours!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL he get's straight to the key points...
Old 06-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People keep saying get your ECU chipped. I don't even know where to go. That's something that I need to know.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:37 AM

go to the search function

type in

chipped ecu

you will get about a million results

read away

i already told you how to do everything

at least do something on your own!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">People keep saying get your ECU chipped. I don't even know where to go. That's something that I need to know. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheGeneral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When you say plug and play you mean just by one and it'll hook straight up to my hatch?

What about the ECU chip? Where can I find one at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All wires will plug'n play.
chipping ECU...since you already have an P28 from your SI, just send it to one of the local people in CA to chipped it for you. Make sure you ask for an DOHC program, something for running an ITR motor. Kenji or IHATERICERZ can do it for you. PM them!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG (HATCHingMN)

The motor comes with an ECU, I can just use that. (I did some more research)

I have to get a "jumper" to connect everything right. Then I have to get the wires extended and I should be good. Like you said, it should take long. The motor is getting shipped with a stock motor mounts and shift linkage. All that good stuff.

Quick Reply: 2001 ITR B18C-R into an EG