Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Walterronny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Walterronny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thx katman.

just this package will be ok for swap and get it Z6 runs?

http://rywire.com/store/9600-c...9e80d

btw we will runs with p28 ecu chipped </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes sir that Rywire product should do the trick for you....
Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Katman)

I saw this thread and had a question

I have a OBD2 (2000 HX) chassis, and a B16 OBD1 engine, using a 2000 ex wiring harness (M/T) and a jumper harness and have no spark. Tried a OBD2 Dis, no dice. I tried wiring the OBD1 Dis on and that didn't help, matched wires that sorta thing. Any ideas?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default obd2 to obd1 auto

i see you get riddled with alot of questions,but im mid swap and am wondering if i was given mis information bout what all i needed to get my swap running.i have a 98 Hx that im dropping a 94 LS into.this car will be left automatic.i bought the driver side block mount and tranny bracket from an Si as was instructed and also the jumper harness,but i was reading you guys' FAQ bout obd2 to obd1.And was wondering if i was getting confused because it mainly addressed manual trannys.do i need to get other parts on there way?i already have both motors fully disconnected and ready to pull.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to put a 93 engine and tranny from an integra in a civic 98, what axles and shift linkage do I have to use, and also would the civic 99-00 a/c bracket fit this engine in order for me to use my civic's a/c compressor or what other braket works good for this?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:08 PM

yet another question 97 dx swapping in jdm b16a out of an eg will my ek dx dual post bracket bolt onto this motor? i know the post says its compatible but my buddys telling me i have to get the si one
Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (charlieP216)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by charlieP216 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw this thread and had a question

I have a OBD2 (2000 HX) chassis, and a B16 OBD1 engine, using a 2000 ex wiring harness (M/T) and a jumper harness and have no spark. Tried a OBD2 Dis, no dice. I tried wiring the OBD1 Dis on and that didn't help, matched wires that sorta thing. Any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what ecu are you using? are all your grounds grounded? what brand/who makes your jumper harness?
Old 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (purejdmek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purejdmek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yet another question 97 dx swapping in jdm b16a out of an eg will my ek dx dual post bracket bolt onto this motor? i know the post says its compatible but my buddys telling me i have to get the si one</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, your dual post bracket should be compatible with the JDM B16 engine mount.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (3gcvcd16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3gcvcd16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to put a 93 engine and tranny from an integra in a civic 98, what axles and shift linkage do I have to use, and also would the civic 99-00 a/c bracket fit this engine in order for me to use my civic's a/c compressor or what other braket works good for this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you're putting a 93 integra B-series engine AND TRANS into a 98 civic?
If so. bad move...sorta.
93 Integra's use a cable transmission, so you'll need to pick a Hasport cable transmission mount kit for EK civic in order to bolt that sucker in there. You'll also need their hydro to cable lever kit too.

You should really get the next year up (94+) and get a B-series engine with hydraulic transmission which is designed for your car.

If you're headstrong on going 93 B-series engine and cable trans, make sure you get the complete axles from the 93 integra or just any 90-93 integra axles will do. I'm not sure if newer 94+ axles will work, for measurements sake.

In order to retain your civic's A/C compressor you actually need to run DOHC VTEC Delsol P54 mount, not the Civic Si A/C mount. this one right here:
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc...=3840

Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM

p30 ecu, boomslang conversion, and it's all grounded
Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG , this is so useful! Katman
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (magefa)

which ex wire harness do I use? 2 door or 4 door? they are different. I have a 96 dx 4 door.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (charlieP216)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by charlieP216 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">p30 ecu, boomslang conversion, and it's all grounded</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm...I say try a different brand conversion harness.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sanjiyan69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which ex wire harness do I use? 2 door or 4 door? they are different. I have a 96 dx 4 door.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are? Where did you get this info from?

Thats new to me if this is true!

Unless what makes them different is that there's an Auto and a 5spd EX harness.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They are? Where did you get this info from?

Thats new to me if this is true!

Unless what makes them different is that there's an Auto and a 5spd EX harness.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

and the pricing is way outta wack too. 200 for a manual 4 door ex engine harness vs 500 for a 2 door manual ex engine harness.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me make sure im riight i have a 95 ls swap into my 99 ex coupe

i need the si mounts
i need obd2 dizzy
i can use my d series obd2 injectors
i mgonna get a obd2b to obd2a jumper so i dont have worry about taking anying out of the ecu so i need a 96-99 ls ecu

so the obd1 alternator wont plug in? can i make it work?
also will a beseries a/c comprisor and bracket work?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about a 1999 GSR motor (i'm getting only the motor, nothing else) in a 95LS...what would I need?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jenson40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jenson40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me make sure im riight i have a 95 ls swap into my 99 ex coupe

i need the si mounts
Yes, although you can reuse your D-series top tranny bracket + mount, and the LS A/C bracket and front tranny bracket (if it comes with it). Then you'll just need the Si rear "L" bracket and driver side dual post mount.

i need obd2 dizzy

Yes, AND you will need to change your 99 EX dizzy plug to that of a 96-98 civic dizzy 'big' plug or 96-99 integra dizzy 'big' plug. The 99-00 civics (excl. Si) all have a smaller OBD1 style dizzy plug - this is something I don't understand why Honda did.

i can use my d series obd2 injectors

correct.

im gonna get an obd2b to obd2a jumper so i dont have worry about taking anying out of the ecu so i need a 96-99 ls ecu

This is correct - let me know if you need this jumper

so the obd1 alternator wont plug in? can i make it work?

Correct. You'll just need to rewire your alternator wiring to OBD1 spec plugs. I have a diagram of this I need to dig up

also will a b-series a/c comprisor and bracket work?

[B]You don't need to use a B-series a/c compressor, if you want to keep your D-series A/C intact. You just need to purchase the Delsol Si VTEC A/C bracket. This bracket allows you to retain your civic's AC compressor; bolts right up to the Delsol AC bracket because of the correct mounting bolt pattern for the smaller civic compressor.

This one:
http://www.jhpusa.com/store/pc/viewP...ct=3840[/B]

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so im kind of confused.
i want to swap in a b16a into my 4dr lx.
i know i will need to run the wires for vtec. but if the motor is obd1 will i have to go source a obd2a dizzy and a obd2a alternator? even if i use a obd2a-&gt;obd1 ecu jumper and a obd1 ecu?

or will it be smarter to just get a motor from a em1. that is already obd2b.
and what will have to be done to make that work?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90ed6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90ed6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so im kind of confused.
i want to swap in a b16a into my 4dr lx.
i know i will need to run the wires for vtec. but if the motor is obd1 will i have to go source a obd2a dizzy and a obd2a alternator? even if i use a obd2a-&gt;obd1 ecu jumper and a obd1 ecu?

No, you don't have to use an OBD2 b-series dizzy (btw you can use an OBD2a or OBD2b B-series dizzy - they're the same design) - but it makes things easier if you do read: plug n play. You'll just have to rewire your LX wire harness's dizzy plug to OBD1 spec, same goes for the alternator plug. Reason you have to do this is because you need to reuse your LX harness on the OBD1 engine; you can't use the OBD1 engine harness in an EK civic, it's design is different and incompatible with the EK chassis.

or will it be smarter to just get a motor from a em1. that is already obd2b.
and what will have to be done to make that work?

If you don't want to deal with wiring, then YES, this would be the easier-smarter route. THOUGH, you will have to purchase an OBD2a to OBD2b ecu jumper harness in order to use the OBD2b EM1/Si ecu in your LX, and you will have to reuse your LX harness and NOT the Si harness because its OBD2b which is incompatible with your LX - I do have a prototype wire harness adapter that allows the use of an OBDb engine wire harness into an OBD2a vehicle.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quote" prototype obd2b harness into obd2a"

so...have you tested it out? I just got my obd2a ex harness for a 96 ex from the dealer.. I'll be back visiting this thread and dig out more info.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so theres no difference in obd2a and obd2b alternator and dizzy plugs?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey katman i have a 96 lx you say you can re-use the double post mount, but the studs on the b16a obd 1 is longer, or it doesn't matter? Also it can't fit do i have to bore out the holes so it can fit?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90ed6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90ed6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so theres no difference in obd2a and obd2b alternator and dizzy plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Alternator plugs are the same on all obd2 alternators, but the Dizzy plugs are different between Obd2a/b

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cabingas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey katman i have a 96 lx you say you can re-use the double post mount, but the studs on the b16a obd 1 is longer, or it doesn't matter? Also it can't fit do i have to bore out the holes so it can fit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take those studs out, use bolts.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bokals)

Hey Katman I have always wondered where your massive amount of knowledge has come from. Can I get a little background on you? lol
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sanjiyan69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quote" prototype obd2b harness into obd2a" so...have you tested it out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I haven't test it yet. I need to!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90ed6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so theres no difference in obd2a and obd2b alternator and dizzy plugs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

alternators no difference, but when it comes to the distributor for D & B-series the dizzy plugs differ for OBD2b applications. OBD2a, B & D series use the same 'big' dizzy plug.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cabingas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey katman i have a 96 lx you say you can re-use the double post mount, but the studs on the b16a obd 1 is longer, or it doesn't matter? Also it can't fit do i have to bore out the holes so it can fit?</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you talking about the black dual-post mount? or the 'bridge bracket'? see photo:

If you're trying to reuse the LX black dual-post mount, it is NOT compatible with a B-series engine, only the bridge bracket is.

If the bridge bracket is the problem, get one from a 99-00 Si.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Katman I have always wondered where your massive amount of knowledge has come from. Can I get a little background on you? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm from mars.
I just gotta knack for geekin out on Honda swap stuff and retaining what I've learned over the years. I also have help from fellow homies in areas I haven't touched (such as H-series swaps).

Quick Reply: * * OBD1 B-series engine into OBD2a/OBD2b civic/integra * *