Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*** Nightmare !!! *** 96+ Civic's with H22a swap with Euro-R manifold!!! almost impossible.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *** Nightmare !!! *** 96+ Civic's with H22a swap with Euro-R manifold!!! almost impossible.

after much frustration and diffulcuty I can honestly say this manifold is a bitch and not a bolt in swap!

the fact you have to mod the manifold to make it work is one thing.. but when you have to reroute and re-design almost all the mounts and lines on the firewall to get this thing working is another thing!!

it's simply painful !!!

I installed the motor with the manifold attached, but not the throttlebody.. installed ok, despite some clearance issues with the drivers side tower (being close) so after all that.. i'm doing the wiring and before i complete the wiring i wanted to check the lenghts of wires going to the tb sensors...

I get the throttlebody and tried to put it on, ok wont' fit.. hydrolic clutch line braket is in the way, remove it push the line and try to get the TB on, nope won't clear the Gas filter housing.. so with everything remove and pushed out the way, i finally got it on the manifold... now big problem, i try to plug back stuff in, nope.. won't clear the gas filter and won't clear the hydrolikc line for the clutch or the braket, not to mention the fuel line is extremly tight, with an 93 accord fuel rail (fuel passage on pasenger side)... so i'm getting pissed here...

so i remove the added stuff, and start bending and modifying the brakets...

so finally i got the clutch braket and line adjusted, so it cleared that, now I modified the fuel filter and lines to get that out of the way so it will actually clear the tps... now one my fuel line won't fit (too short) and another thing.... I can't get my AIC on now... because there are two bolts sticking out the firewall, that won't allow me to put in on the manifold.

so here i am, after a week or putting this together..

and the damn Euro-R manifold won't clear most of the firewall options...

i'm extremly pissed. tired... so i gave up for the night.. so tomorowi have to get up, and bend new steel lines with fittings and readjust everything so i can actually get these things bolted on....

so word to the wise.. with HCP mounts and 96+ civic chassis, don't attemp an euro-r manifold or Skunk2 for that matter, you will be extremly pissed and may need a skilled machanic with a large toolchest with special tools to get you out of this bind...

a mod i seriously don't recommend!

power wise may be better but for installation etc, i hope if fits the ludes easier, for civics it doesnt' !

i'll post pics probably tomorow nigth of the nightmare...

Old 07-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: *** Nightmare !!! *** 96+ Civic's with H22a swap with Euro-R manifold!!! almost impossible. (Ho

Sounds intense!

I thought the Euro R and the Skunk2 were actually smaller in overall design than the stock piece, and would take up less room?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:21 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: *** Nightmare !!! *** 96+ Civic's with H22a swap with Euro-R manifold!!! almost impossible. (Ho

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HotWheelz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and the damn Euro-R manifold won't clear most of the firewall options...

so word to the wise.. with HCP mounts and 96+ civic chassis, don't attemp an euro-r manifold or Skunk2 for that matter, you will be extremly pissed and may need a skilled machanic with a large toolchest with special tools to get you out of this bind...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen it done (a friend of mine did it.... I'll try to get pictures of his car) on his EG with the HCP mount kit, and the Euro-R manifold has shorter runners, thus there's more clearance between the manifold and firewall, so I don't know why yours is the opposite. I know the Skunk2 manifold is somewhat "in between" the 2 but still has shorter runners. Post up pictures so that we can check it out.

BTW, my friend said that it was a PITA and that he even had to modify the fuel rail pretty heavily in order for it to work with the Euro-R manifold. Again, I'll try to get pictures of it.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i'm running hcp mounts... the Euro-R is kinda straight and long.. but the odd part is that the stock manifold is curved where the tb is higher and more to the front.. so it clears, but with the euro-R its' further in the back and linear to the manifold in such a way that if you don't have the AIC hooked up or bolted the tps sticks out almost 1/2 out of the manifold, and when you bolt or attempt to put the AIC you really almost have no space left.. and the fact that you have the brakets and firewall studs pretruding out doesn't help, i have a 96 fuel line, and it fits.. well if i put it one way (oposite way) but it looks weird becaue the fuel line would go over the tb and intake tube, if you put it the other way ti's too tight and kinked... = bad..

i'll have pics soon, the camera is charged just gotta download them and upload.

and also it's not that great because it doesn't help for vacuum lines also because they all go at the wrong spots (too long or short) so you have to emprovise... on top of that...

mines the EK chassis, not EG.. so maybe you have more room in an EG firewall than an EK one...

Old 07-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's are pics of my euro-R manifold and mods done to it.... and yes the cap is welded back on etc.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=524937

Old 07-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another thing is the AIC to use is not the lude, since the adapter is at a 45 degree angle and hits the firewall, you gotta use a 92-95 civic one, since the plug comes out of it straight and width wise.. giving a good 3/4 inch clearance.

now for the fuel filter relocation mod
Old 07-20-2003, 07:03 PM

Damn man, I am impressed of still how far you're going. I would have beaten it to death by now
Old 07-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's nothing.. i still haven't tried to test fit the "J's Racing motorsports" intake... i bet i'll have to mill the intake manifold some and the tb to get that sucker on.... i refuse to see if it fits before i get this motor at least working, the other stuff is add on's.. it can wait...

you should see my harness hahaahh.. i have over 200 hotjoint soldered and shrinkwrapped connections.

pretty bad, my car automatic, and didn't have access to an 96+ EX harness... so i printed out all the diagrams and studied them and moded my harness.

so now i have a custom true fit, obd2 harness with obd1 ecu plugs, and h22a obd1 engine connections and correct lenght, while still retaining my obd2 drivers side functions...

don't need no stinkin jumper now !! hahahah.. you do learn alot when you do this.. 5volt Voltage references, ground side switching, interferance body grounded sheilds, etc etc, the good part is i also encorporated the resistor box inside the harness... it really looks like it cam with the car, minus teh 20+ hours of wiring, cutting, splicing, and modifying time... didn't help it was an automatic harness though

had to install and remove a couple times for test fitting purposes... but i can do some dyno testing now, with other manifolds because i modded my euro-r for obd1 sensors....

I haven't had time to upload and post pics but when i do you'll all see how hard this damn swap is in a civic with euro-R manifold... ain't that easy! maybe Eg's better but not an EK... anybody telling you otherwise, didn't do it themselves, and never noticed the mods to get it to work.

anyways....

i'll let you know how i modded the fuel lines etc tomroow.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:28 PM

Keep us posted bro!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i wanna see some pics dammit. I am really impressed with your work on the manifold so i cant wait to see pics.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hardcore...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this guy and yes, he is the man!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

some updates...

had to relocate the fuel filter (custom braket) with quick remoal access for the filter, also modded the clutch lines (pretty trick quick cuplers - brass fittings) and also modded the fuel source lines etc to clear the mounts,.... got much more room now, up on top and on the firewall, don't worry i got pics, just need to edit and stuff...

this should give you guys idea's on how to do further things down the road if you run into clearance issues..

PS it's going better today than yesterday, also i learned that you can't use 97-01 prelude "plastic" shifter box, because it sits to high, i guess for any 92-00 civic the metal accord/lude shifter is a must, sandblasted and painted it and regreased it, looks new also trimmed the sides so it clears the interior better...

but the absolute worse thing ever about an h22a swap.... you'll never guess what....

no i ain't talking about no stinkin AC, or PS.... it's much worse... NO MORE CUP HOLDERS !!!!!

(PLEASE don't drink and drive!!) i use mine for coffee only (and pepsi) but still...the cables are in the way.. and it can't be done another wya.. unless my cups are going to be up more, and only about 1/2 recessed in...

(something else to build, modified cup holder tray)...

i'm sorry you don't realize the importance of the cupholder until your stuck in traffic with a cup in your hand, trying to turn, shift ,and honk the horn at the same time wen open.. (no fun).....

anyways.. it felt good... in my RSX seats (pressing the new clutch pedal) ahahah... yes i custom fitted RSX seats in my EK, and it was an automatic car, so looking at my SIR cluster, pressing the clutch pedal and holding my momo wheel.. i think this car is going to be quite the fun toy in a day or two

anyways sorry to be boring, not busy at work, and started the graveyard shift....

i'll keep you guys posted, oh and yes the digital camera has video capabilities so i will upload the "initial startup" and first test drive" and upload for you guys to download, i may not be fast for pics but defenetly this i will do for your honda-teckers!

-G
(Dev - shhhh.... don't tell the others my hiding spot.. HAHAHAHA)
Old 07-21-2003, 10:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HotWheelz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no i ain't talking about no stinkin AC, or PS.... it's much worse... NO MORE CUP HOLDERS !!!!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I still have the stock cup holders, its almost like stock.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I won't! This is where I hang out most of the time G. Good luck with your car...I can't wait to see the video!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:48 PM

Dude where the hell are all these pics you keep speaking of. I have to see some. I hope my clutch, flywheel and camgears serve you well. What else did you do to the motor????
Old 07-25-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Allmotor Build 1: VERSION 1

99 Spec Head
Portflow Pro Port and polished (blueprinted)
Crower Eibach dual valve springs
Crower titanium retainers
Crower Stage 3 drag camshafts
Cleared and balanced rocker arms
Ferrea Stainless steel valves (intake and exaust) polydyne coated
Skunk2 camgears (red)
Custom Race 4-1 Stainless steel Header (rear exit) (also stock peice)
STR proseal (red cam seal)
ARP Headstuds
Nology wires (red)
Euro-R single runner intake manifold (ported and polished for head design)
Hondata Intake manifold gasket
J's Racing intake (And AEM ITR 3" - will use best one after dyno)
93 JDM closed deck block
11.0 .025 oversized cr pistons with new oem rings (balanced)
crower probillet rods (balanced)
micropolished crank (balanced)
prodrive usa oilpump gears
Alien Autotek Aluminum billet balance shaft removal kit
H23 manual tension mod
unorthodox crank pulley
Aem underdrive pulleys (silver)
Clutchmasters 8 pound billet flywheel (balanced)
ACT Xtreme clutch with organic street disc (balanced)
m2b4 LSD h22a tranny (NEW synchros)
93 accord intermediate shafts
86-89 drivers side custom shaft (modified for combo)
86-89 passer side custom shaft (modified for combo)
obd2 civic Wiring harness professionaly modified for obd1 car (plug and play)
HCP mounts (3 peice)
Place racing gel filed mount drivers side
Honda S200 W/ p28 obd1 ecu (chipped) (running skunk2 chip (until dyno)
2.5 inch custom true mandrel stainless exaust
modified stock type-r muffler for sleeper look