AP1
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ LMFAO
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeiswaydope)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i drive an rsx, and i still say get a s2000... s2000 is a far greater car imo than an si </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's no similarities with the RSX (even the type s) and the Civic Si. The RSX is a pseudo-luxo-heavy coupe with a VERY potent motor.

The Si, even though it looks like a 2-door Saturn wanna-be sedan, it handles quite nicely, again, with a VERY potent motor. On an auto-x, the stock Si actually held it's own against my fully Mugen-modded S2K...I drove both cars.

The Civic Si was actually easier to drive through the tight, slow corners. The Civic accelerated much better out of the gate too. The S2000 shined through long corners where I could keep the revs up past 5200.

If your main goal is to have fun tracking the car at HPDE's, I'd suggest the S2000. If your plan is to DD the car 90% of the time, and track for fun, I'd suggest the Civic. If your plan is to go fast in the streets, and blow by the typical JDM ricer, go with the Si. The K-motor is that much better than the F-series (especially if you plan to mod it)...the front wheel with LSD is MUCH easier to drive, and so much more forgiving for DD use.

I've owned my S2000 for 6 years (I actually own two, now), and I've had a K-swapped Integra for the past year and a half. The Civic Si compares more to my Integra than to an RSX-S in terms of handling, and acceleration performance. Oh yeah...the Si will hold more people, things, etc. than the S2000, and you'll get the option for Navigation (which is a shame that the bottom-rung car gets this option, and their status car does not!).

Drive the Si and the S2000 back-to-back at the dealership and shock yourself. Trust me. Don't think of the Civic as the econo-box car it once was. Hyundai makes econoboxes now-a-days, Honda does not....even if the Fit were to make it over to the US, it'd be far from an econobox.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (Luder94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luder94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's no similarities with the RSX (even the type s) and the Civic Si. The RSX is a pseudo-luxo-heavy coupe with a VERY potent motor.

The Si, even though it looks like a 2-door Saturn wanna-be sedan, it handles quite nicely, again, with a VERY potent motor. On an auto-x, the stock Si actually held it's own against my fully Mugen-modded S2K...I drove both cars.

The Civic Si was actually easier to drive through the tight, slow corners. The Civic accelerated much better out of the gate too. The S2000 shined through long corners where I could keep the revs up past 5200.

If your main goal is to have fun tracking the car at HPDE's, I'd suggest the S2000. If your plan is to DD the car 90% of the time, and track for fun, I'd suggest the Civic. If your plan is to go fast in the streets, and blow by the typical JDM ricer, go with the Si. The K-motor is that much better than the F-series (especially if you plan to mod it)...the front wheel with LSD is MUCH easier to drive, and so much more forgiving for DD use.

I've owned my S2000 for 6 years (I actually own two, now), and I've had a K-swapped Integra for the past year and a half. The Civic Si compares more to my Integra than to an RSX-S in terms of handling, and acceleration performance. Oh yeah...the Si will hold more people, things, etc. than the S2000, and you'll get the option for Navigation (which is a shame that the bottom-rung car gets this option, and their status car does not!).

Drive the Si and the S2000 back-to-back at the dealership and shock yourself. Trust me. Don't think of the Civic as the econo-box car it once was. Hyundai makes econoboxes now-a-days, Honda does not....even if the Fit were to make it over to the US, it'd be far from an econobox.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isnt the Civic based on the RSX platform or vice versa? They both are heavy FWD cars with the same engine similar suspension setups etc. I cant see how a heavy FWD coupe can compare to a similar weighted rwd S2000. Perhaps you are just more use to a fwd car than a RWD sports car. Physics is completely against you considering the S2000 has an ideal 49/51 weight distribution while the civic probably suffers something like a 60/40+.

If your modded S2000 can barely outpace a STOCK SI someone phucked up your car when they were tuning it, you need an aligment/tires are bad bald, or Mugen parts are absolutely worthless. Never mind they kind of are worthless except for JDM bling.

As far as modding goes the S2000 has a very high strung motor and its hard to get good Hp from bolt-ons because the stock i/h/e flows quite well. if the Kseries in the RSX/Civic made 240 hp stock i doubt you would see generous Hp gains with the typical I/H/E.

A S2000 should destroy a Stock Civic anywhere drag auto raod course etc. Not to mention the civic IMO is fugly with its 3 feet long hood and chest high belt line.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (redronin22)

^^^ You guys aren't even comparing the same things. The Si will probably sit at the top of the FWD mid $20k group. The S is nowhere near the top of the RWD class. Struts vs. Independent suspension. Understeer vs oversteer. Weight balance, motor orientation, blah blah blah. I told the OP to go with the Civic because he/she did not compliment at all on either car's driving feel, which probably means that neither was taken for a test drive. It ends up being personal preference. Performance has less to do with it than driver skill. At the tracks, a B18 EG was all up my trunk LED for a couple of laps, til I put the smack down. On Ortega highway, a boosted RSX was left in the dust.

Urmill, since you drove both cars back to back, I take your comparison as it is written. If the OP would just go out to a dealer and do that, this post wouldn't have even began.

Robert, it seems like you're just looking and comparing at both cars on paper. The actual weight ratio of the Civic is nearer 55/45. Regarding your statement about him not being used to RWD, he has owned his S for 6 years; it is also one of the cleanest looking ones, and among one of my favorites.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (Slideways2000)

My bad, didnt notice the part where he said he had his car for 6 years. I could have sworm i saw the weigh distribution near 60/40 but i could be wrong. Its easier for me to really opush a FWD since thats all i've driven prior to My S2000. When i use to hit up ortega i felt alot more comfortable in the Si for 2 reasons. The civic was nearly paid off and it was only 17k

j/k

Soon as my car gets a year old im going to a HPD to do some learnin. =- 0
Sorry about the previous comments if they sound negative. Its been a bad week. trash can off a truck owned my bumper. Then under age teen w/ no insurance steals his moms car and t-boned my girls 4 month old Accord. Soon as i get the S2k back in the garage my PMS goes away.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

Sorry about the bad news. FWD cars depend on the brakes to correct the line, while RWD drivers need to use the throttle. Ortega is a place of downhills and twisties, and the two cars behave differently. The S tests how much ***** you have, and the Civic will let you experience that limit even if you have a pair of raisins.

Get your car up, I'll run it with you. It's been a while, but I used to cross that mountain twice a day, 5-6 days a week, going to and from Camp Pendleton.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:45 PM

no doubt the s2k is a better choice it way to fun to drive and u get lots of looks when ur in it
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Chesus-s2k)

If you need a car to get girl's attention, then you need a different car. The S is for drivers, not pimps.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isnt the Civic based on the RSX platform or vice versa? They both are heavy FWD cars with the same engine similar suspension setups etc. I cant see how a heavy FWD coupe can compare to a similar weighted rwd S2000. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They can and they can't. They can be compared directly for application of use; just as a pick-up can be compared and contrasted to a Carrera GT. They can't be compared if you're looking at one particular class of car though....one car just doesn't belong in the other's class.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Perhaps you are just more use to a fwd car than a RWD sports car. Physics is completely against you considering the S2000 has an ideal 49/51 weight distribution while the civic probably suffers something like a 60/40+.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not used to RWD, . I'm not a young kid. I started legal driving life with a Mustang (modded for streets and subdivision slalom). Then onto a Delta 88 (Dad took away the Mustang because of getting into too much trouble with Johnny Law; little did he know that the Delta 88 gave me some more "backseat" experience). Then onto minivan (RWD minvan for moving DJ equipment). Then finally onto a Prelude. Then onto an S2000.

If you want to talk about wight distribution, why keep the discussion purely based on static distribution. Physics and suspension geometry can be designed/engineered to help drive an unevenly distributed car easier. I'd suggest that a near 50/50 car is harder to drive for the average Joe. Most aren't used to understeer on throttle with quick snap steer due to throttle lift on a 50/50 car. On a 60/40 FWD car, it's MUCH more manageable for the lack of experienced.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your modded S2000 can barely outpace a STOCK SI someone phucked up your car when they were tuning it, you need an aligment/tires are bad bald, or Mugen parts are absolutely worthless. Never mind they kind of are worthless except for JDM bling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I had set up the car the way I did before there was such a cool factor as "JDM Bling". It was all for two reasons: quality (and value I saw in it) and compounding functional gain without introducing new break points.

My S2000 was on performance Dunlops that had only seen three auto-x's and the drive to and from those auto-x's. The Civic Si was on the performance tires from what the manufacture provides. It wasn't the tires or the alignment. My F20c is meticulously maintained and kept. 6 yrs and 80k miles, it's maintained to be newer than new (or at least close to it).

As for keeping up with the Civic Si, you are taking what I wrote out of context. I did NOT say that the Civic Si is end all, be all faster at top end, or just out-right faster than the S2K for each and every situation. I did say that the Si kept consistent and similar lap times as did my S2K both driven by me. I have nothing to gain to say the Si is faster than my S...but instead a lot of dignity to lose. I did say however, in that track set up, the Si did hold it's own.

On a track like Road America, the S2K would outright spank the S2000 regarding track times. On the street for around the town (think city and suburban driving) performance, I'd have to say the Civic would be the better ride.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as modding goes the S2000 has a very high strung motor and its hard to get good Hp from bolt-ons because the stock i/h/e flows quite well. if the Kseries in the RSX/Civic made 240 hp stock i doubt you would see generous Hp gains with the typical I/H/E.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'd be wrong to say the K motor does not see generous hp and tq gains with simple bolt ons. The 2000-2004 K20a2 can free up close to 25 horses just with simple bolt-ons (throw in a K-Pro and it's over). Honda has kept quite a bit on the table with the K-motor. Going FI just opens that gap vs. the F20c. I'm waiting for a tuning shop (like Hybrid-Racing) to come up with motor mounts, wiring harness, and transmission adapter plate to allow for a K20 swap into an S2000. I'll be in line for that one for sure.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A S2000 should destroy a Stock Civic anywhere drag auto raod course etc. Not to mention the civic IMO is fugly with its 3 feet long hood and chest high belt line.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. Depending on torque and gearing, the Civic could probably take the S2000 from light to light or on an 1/8 mile drag-way. Depending on the auto-x track, the Civic may have the heads up for the OP....if he's more used to FWD than the delicate nature of the S2000. It's kinda like comparing the Z06 vs. the AP2 S2K. At Gingerman, the S2K may be driven with faster lap times. At Road America, no contest...the Z06 should be opening the can, the can of whoop-***.

Drive one with an open mind, you may be surprised. Also keep in mind with what the OP originally asked for in comparison of these two cars. The S2000 isn't the end all be all for all people that want a 4 cylinder Honda.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Ortega is a place of downhills and twisties, and the two cars behave differently. The S tests how much ***** you have, and the Civic will let you experience that limit even if you have a pair of raisins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kinda sounds like a place where in a FWD if you make one or maybe even two mistakes, even the average shmoe can correct them. However, in a car like the S2000 if you're even 7/10ths, one mistake could mean a tow home.

Part of what makes my K20 Integra ***** faster than my S2000 includes the above. It also includes that at a track with walls and barriers, I'm willing to drive close to my 10/10ths in the Integra vs. maybe my 6/10ths in the S2000. The Integra is much lighter, brakes are better on it than on the S2K, and the suspension is much easier to setup on it than on the S2K.

I'd say that for me, the Civic Si (if I were to own one) would be faster than my S2K because of exactly the reasons above. Also, it'd be better because of more DD civility, better gas mileage, ability to carry cargo and passengers (vs. the S2K), and is less noticable.

BTW, a Civic Si costs more to buy than a used S2K...at which point, I'd probably buy the S2K to use and throw away.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:38 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Luder94)

Driving an S at about 7 or 8/10ths feels a lot scarier (read: fun) than a Civic at 10/10ths. At least to me. That's why I have sinced moved from the mountains to the tracks. If I fudge and drop off the track, it'll be a new lip/bumper, some cleaning, and a kick in my own *** to remember not to do it again. Sorta like the reset button on the PS2/GT4, just takes a little longer.

The problem with asking a question like this on the internet, all you're going to get is <U>OPINIONS</U>. In the end, the OP should drive both cars and decide, I'm sure most will agree.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 PM

I gotta agree with you slideways, to push a civic hard is one thing but to squeeze 80% of the S2000 takes a fat wallet and big ********.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k Si or S2K... get a coin and flip the dam thing. let the money decide the car

Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (congo)

I'm glad you enjoyed the ride man. I used to be a lot stupider on that mountain. Glad I quit before I killed myself or anybody else.

Still, I'd take an S and drive it 8/10ths all the time, rather than taking a Civic and having to drive it at 10/10ths.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 PM

You ever go to azusa slide? ive been there one and its a pretty nice canyon. Its a toss up between Azusa and Palomar Mnt for me. Both eat brakes and tires. When summer rolls around definitely HPD.

PS Picked up my car tonigh. Everything looks in order except they forgot to connect the parking light! arg.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

Been up to Azusa a couple of times. I used to frequent Angelest Crest and Ortega, Azusa was too sandy for me the couple times I went. Unexpected sliding blows.

Gotta love that 1 way downhill with the chain link fence though. One of my faves, I ran that ish 4 times.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:58 PM

On Palomar i did a complete 360' spin the first time i went up there. After that i learned my lesson not to let go of the gas when the tail kicks out. Luckily i had braked enough and regained control to get back control. It was fun though something right out of a movie. My girl looked at me and i just shrugged like it was nuttin. When i got home i had to throw away the boxers cus of the **** stains though. j/k aboutt he **** stains it was mostly pee.
The one time i went up to azusa it was quite dusty. There were quite a few racers up there and some of them were damn quick. I was being paced by a few Ep's and Ek's. Since it was my first time i didnt push it very much.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:14 PM
* B A N N E D *

I wouldn't look down on the EP/EKs. On those mountain, they're so fast because of what we've been talking about the whole time. They can do 9/10ths 10/10th with good confidence. Going all out with them is kinda fun, but you'd have to stop yourself where you should, especially when theres a lot of dirt or sand on the road.

Drop-throttle oversteer is a beeyotch isn't it? Use it when you're going faster on a track, it turns into instant 4-wheel drift if you jump back on the throttle right away. In this case, you just married that. Hit it.

"..'til you marry one."
Old 01-16-2006, 11:39 PM

I've only been able to do mini test drives in my area so far cuz the weather has been bad (ie snow/ice). That's why I haven't had a chance to really test both properly to help my assessment.

This is all great advice...much appreciated.