Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Thinking about picking up an S2K

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about picking up an S2K

Im not a frequent guy on honda-tech as you may realize from my post count. I lurk here and there.

So i am a full fledged BMW addict. Older ones especially considering I have a 75 2002. Now dont shoo me off yet.

I was in the market for an e46 M3 which is probably the bargain of the decade. I've talked to a few buddies including some members on my normal forum and they think my situation doesn't really call for a e46 M.

Alot of them recommended an S2K. They said cheap reliable and easy to work on.

So, how much would it cost for me to get into an S2k thats a few years old, has some where between 55-60k miles on it, and pretty clean. I do like to mod cars, it would be very simple and clean as i'm not into ricing. Get very low, paint stock wheels, exhaust, intake and software.

Can you guys list some pro's and cons.

Thanks -Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (dzlnitro)

Umm for cost look at autotrader.com. For pros and cons, SEARCH THE FORUM. Another good option, go DRIVE the cars. That will sway your decision.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (Sean Juan)

Pros - Its a Honda / Dont have german car repair bills / sexy / and the list goes on

Cons - If your tall be a little tight / You'll want to drive it alot hehe / you might have to much fun / etc...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dzlnitro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> paint stock wheels

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought you said you weren't into rice
Old 07-31-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (J. Funk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Funk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought you said you weren't into rice </TD></TR></TABLE>

Idk how honda wheels look painted black. On my bmw's i've had they come out looking really great. especially the DS2's i had on my 325is.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM

Default FV-QR

Buy some real wheels for it
Old 07-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they dont look that great black
Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most S2000s arnt into rice... They are into hard parking its like rice but for people with money. Ap1 wheels dont look bad painted black I had mine painted black so i wouldnt have to wash them... now purple
Old 08-01-2008, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (HondaKyle)

BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET HERE:

Buy a BMW and don't look back. If you drive your car hard then this is a horrible car for you. My s2000 is the weakest car i have ever driven...i am afraid to redline it because i am afraid it can't handle it. With my bmw, i beat the **** out of all day, 175k on the clock, and still pushin high compression numbers through all cylinders.

if i could do it all over i think i would of went with the e46 m3

by the way you are going to get bias oppinions since this is a honda site...prepare to hear the **** talking on bmw's...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (HondaKyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaKyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most S2000s arnt into rice... They are into hard parking its like rice but for people with money. Ap1 wheels dont look bad painted black I had mine painted black so i wouldnt have to wash them... now purple </TD></TR></TABLE>

kyle, your car is rice
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (ReddotsS2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReddotsS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET HERE:

Buy a BMW and don't look back. If you drive your car hard then this is a horrible car for you. My s2000 is the weakest car i have ever driven...i am afraid to redline it because i am afraid it can't handle it. With my bmw, i beat the **** out of all day, 175k on the clock, and still pushin high compression numbers through all cylinders.

by the way you are going to get bias oppinions since this is a honda site...prepare to hear the **** talking on bmw's...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you seriously think your car cant take 9000rpms? you must have the most haggered running s2000 in history then. i have zinged my motor @ 10k (80mph in 2nd gear... stupid 5-2 heel-toe incident) and its still running perfectly fine. no problems whatsoever

if you hate your car so much, then sell it & your 3-series and get an e46.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (Chris.)

im also thinking of making this upgrade :-P
Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReddotsS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET HERE:

by the way you are going to get bias oppinions since this is a honda site...prepare to hear the **** talking on bmw's...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The S2000 was made to rev. There's a reason is revs to 9k and not 7 or 8k like your BMWs that you love. That means they were ENGINEERED to take it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Pros - High revving, convertible, cheap and it's a honda so it won't randomly implode from shitty quality control.
Cons - You don't have it yet
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 AM

You're afraid to rev a honda?

That's like your lungs being afraid to inhale air.

They're made for it.

dummy

And btw I do love bmws.

I'm in love with e36s.

Despite the fact that they have plastic waterpumps and their stock radiator necks are weaker than a fat ladies ankles.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (da.nizzle)

im sure you can tell the difference in the low end part of the two cars. between the e36 and the s2k. ive always thought about getting a s2k but the low end just wasnt there for me. but that can always be changed with some parts
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you seriously think your car cant take 9000rpms? you must have the most haggered running s2000 in history then. i have zinged my motor @ 10k (80mph in 2nd gear... stupid 5-2 heel-toe incident) and its still running perfectly fine. no problems whatsoever

if you hate your car so much, then sell it & your 3-series and get an e46.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My s2000 runs perfect...i am not worried about the motor, i am worried about the transmission and differential. I dont hate the car either, i love the look, the sound, the performance, i just wish the car could handle it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sean Juan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The S2000 was made to rev. There's a reason is revs to 9k and not 7 or 8k like your BMWs that you love. That means they were ENGINEERED to take it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by da.nizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're afraid to rev a honda?

They're made for it.

dummy

And btw I do love bmws.

I'm in love with e36s.

Despite the fact that they have plastic waterpumps and their stock radiator necks are weaker than a fat ladies ankles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You cant tell me that the differential in these cars is quality...or the axles for that matter. I just had to drop a couple hundred on axles because they vibrated so bad.

i am stating my opinion, which i think i should be able to do without being flamed. From my experiences, i have had better luck with bmw. I am not a bmw fan by any means though, i would rather have my s2k over a majority of them, the s2k is very high maintenance though imo.

no need to flame friends
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReddotsS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My s2000 runs perfect...i am not worried about the motor, i am worried about the transmission and differential. I dont hate the car either, i love the look, the sound, the performance, i just wish the car could handle it </TD></TR></TABLE>

how many miles are on your trans & diff... fluid change recently?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how many miles are on your trans & diff... fluid change recently?</TD></TR></TABLE>

tranny, 85k (the original in car, never had a problem with it...i just expect one)...ap2 diff with prob 20k...fluid change about 3 k ago...

everything seems to be holding up as of now, and i have been beating the **** out of it. I will see how it goes from here...maybe i just had a stream of bad luck atleast i hope that is the case...
Old 08-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly... I feel that S2000s do not feel as solid while on the road as most BMW's

However, they are definitely very fun to drive. I know of a lot of BMW M3 owners that have switched over and did not regret a thing.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReddotsS2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My s2000 runs perfect...i am not worried about the motor, i am worried about the transmission and differential. I dont hate the car either, i love the look, the sound, the performance, i just wish the car could handle it

You cant tell me that the differential in these cars is quality...or the axles for that matter. I just had to drop a couple hundred on axles because they vibrated so bad.

i am stating my opinion, which i think i should be able to do without being flamed. From my experiences, i have had better luck with bmw. I am not a bmw fan by any means though, i would rather have my s2k over a majority of them, the s2k is very high maintenance though imo.

no need to flame friends
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You were talking about the motor feeling bad when you're revving the car, now you switched to differential and axles. We're debating your opinion about the motor. It's made to rev. I don't know what you mean by sounds bad or whatever. Put on an intake or hell-- take the lid off the airbox. Tell me that doesn't sound strong and solid.

Change your oil too, then do it. You can tell when the oil is dirty just by the sound and feel through the pedal.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Oje

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (Sean Juan)

Im also considering getting an s2k... tomorrow lol I have an 05 RSX-S now but ive always liked the s2000 and after a few rides in my friends girlfriends car ive loved them even more.

Im a little skeptical though on the one im looking at, its an 03 with 43k and they are asking 13,900. Just seems low to me.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have zinged my motor @ 10k (80mph in 2nd gear... stupid 5-2 heel-toe incident) and its still running perfectly fine. no problems whatsoever
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bull [freak]ing ****.

$50 says you cracked your retainers...you just don't know it.

I've never heard of ANYONE money shifting an S, and not having any damage. There is an entire thread on S2ki about it, I can find it for you if you like.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Thinking about picking up an S2K (da.nizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by da.nizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They're made for it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
from a bong.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Black S2K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black S2K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they dont look that great black</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true. There was an s2k that had black painted ap2 wheels at a car show I was just at that didnt look so good. Sorry if the user is on here.

Quick Reply: Thinking about picking up an S2K