Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Lowering springs AP1

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs AP1

Sup guys. My girlfriend has an AP1 and she's looking to buy some rims and lowering springs/coil overs.

It is strictly a daily driver for her. She's looking at Klutch SL1 wheels. 16's. What tire size do you guys recommend? Also, she has looked into coil overs, fortune auto I believe, BC, D2's (read terrible feedback), etc.

My questions, should she get her rims first, see how much of a wheel gap she has, measure, and then order some Swift, Tein, or whatever? She just wants to lower the car. She wants no wheel gap, at all.

Last thing, she literally goes through tires every 3-4 months (so she says). What can this be? She works 30 minutes away, her car is aligned. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering springs AP1

Hi eddie.

If your girlfriend just wants a lower ride, springs are an efficient way to go rather than coil overs. I do not know of the 16 inch wheels mentioned but you may want to look and see what the wheel manufacturer suggests via tire size. This is all a matter of preference. Make sure to take the vehicle to get aligned once the springs and wheel have been installed. I cannot answer the reason why your girlfriend goes through tires so much. Is it all four or just the rears? Maybe you need to teach her how to drive as well!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECengaged
Hi eddie. If your girlfriend just wants a lower ride, springs are an efficient way to go rather than coil overs. I do not know of the 16 inch wheels mentioned but you may want to look and see what the wheel manufacturer suggests via tire size. This is all a matter of preference. Make sure to take the vehicle to get aligned once the springs and wheel have been installed. I cannot answer the reason why your girlfriend goes through tires so much. Is it all four or just the rears? Maybe you need to teach her how to drive as well!
I will look into that. Typically I have heard that individuals go wider in the rear on S2000's. For the most part, the rear tires tend to go pretty fast. Haha, she drives pretty decent. At least in my opinion. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All cars look a lot better when they're lowered, so you'll probably end up doing that anyways. There's a lot of brands and probably even more opinions on what's the best. Ideally she would probably want something that doesn't lower the car too much and has near stock spring rates.

For the tires wearing out that fast, if it's aligned (I would have it checked again, it's usually free) and she's not doing burnouts every day, there's no reason she should be going through tires that quickly.

Here's my fronts after 4-5 track days (can't remember) and about 5,000 miles of street driving.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tight-R
All cars look a lot better when they're lowered, so you'll probably end up doing that anyways. There's a lot of brands and probably even more opinions on what's the best. Ideally she would probably want something that doesn't lower the car too much and has near stock spring rates. For the tires wearing out that fast, if it's aligned (I would have it checked again, it's usually free) and she's not doing burnouts every day, there's no reason she should be going through tires that quickly. Here's my fronts after 4-5 track days (can't remember) and about 5,000 miles of street driving.
Yeah, she's definitely lowering it. I currently have Tein SS on my Integra and it's pretty much slammed. She wants no wheel gap showing and that's what I told her to do as well. I'll have the car checked out once springs, rims and tires are installed. We will probably buy the rims tonight, install, measure wheel gap and order springs. Boom.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so your girlfriend wants to rock a non functional s2000? time for a new girlfriend. here's a tip just lowering springs alone are not gonna get you the hella slammed look your going for. coils are the way to go. i'd reccomend buddy clubs, they are relatively inexpensive and do the job for daily driving.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLANCOh22a4
so your girlfriend wants to rock a non functional s2000? time for a new girlfriend. here's a tip just lowering springs alone are not gonna get you the hella slammed look your going for. coils are the way to go. i'd reccomend buddy clubs, they are relatively inexpensive and do the job for daily driving.
Agh I know. Especially after reading that the s2000 from stock handles like a beauty. I, personally, have driven a completely stock s2000 and I prefer it much more than the nonsense she currently has on it. She bought it exactly how it sits now. I was looking into the BC's. BC's or D2's? Although I have heard better things about the Buddy Club's. Any inputs?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have buddy club n's on my S and the ride is decent and stiff at my setting. think i picked my set up for like 1200 bucks which isn't too bad imo. all i'm trying to say is i'm pretty sure you/she is gonna want coils becuase it gives you flexibility of ride height/ comfort in which you cant can't get with springs.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLANCOh22a4
i have buddy club n's on my S and the ride is decent and stiff at my setting. think i picked my set up for like 1200 bucks which isn't too bad imo. all i'm trying to say is i'm pretty sure you/she is gonna want coils becuase it gives you flexibility of ride height/ comfort in which you cant can't get with springs.
Tis why I say coil overs. We shall shop around tonight and see what we end up buying. I appreciate the help guys.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get D2's if she goes the coilover route...theyre chinese garbage
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D2's are garbage. I would just get her springs since she isn't tracking the car and it's a daily driver. Other wise you will be spending over 1k on a descent set of coils. As for the rims, If your going to just buy another set of 16's you mine as well keep it stock imo.