Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Lowering and handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering and handling

i have coilovers on the way, want to go for looks and handling. Its a 2" drop, is this going to effect handling in a negative way?
Thanks

Edit: i know coilovers are adjustable. I meant so say im going to lower it 2".

Last edited by brndon076; 12-24-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lowering and handling

......which coilovers?
Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coilovers should have a height setting...not just a fixed 2" drop. And yeah...what coilovers? Spring rates? Other mods?
Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Coilovers should have a height setting...not just a fixed 2" drop. And yeah...what coilovers? Spring rates? Other mods?
+1
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's starting to bother me a little...people ask questions without providing need to know info, it's frustrating because I really like helping people(it's christmas) but people make it sooo hard....#breakdown
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2" will effect handeling in a negative way if all u do is lower it that much and do nothing to correct the geometry of the suspension regardless ur coilover and spring rate choice.

read this

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...-your-car.aspx
Old 12-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Megan Racing street series coilovers
Spring Rates: 12kg Front and 12kg Rear
Old 12-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Put em in the garbage now. That saves you the middle step of installing them. They'll end up in the garbage in a year TOPS anyway.

Not to be harsh. But those are kinda junky. Return them if you can. For reals.

If all you want is a 2'' drop, buy some springs. A nice set of springs is better than a shitty set of coilovers.

As far as initial handling....a 2'' drop isn't THAT extreme. It shouldn't affect handling too negatively by itself. You'll need to re-align the car...and you can expect more bump steer. The optimal thing to do would be to get roll center adjusters. If you're going to keep those coilovers (don't), then make sure you DO NOT lower the spring perch to lower the car down. Just thread the shock body into the collar using the bottom perch adjuster.

The spring rates on those coilovers are a bit high. It'd be fine if the damper was good enough to handle it. But...they're megan racing. So...they'll end up in the trash in a bit.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^truth...i have tein flex 10kg front 8 kg rear...works pretty well, still rough on the street though...stay away from megan, k sport, and D2, they're all junk
Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So have any of you ever owned a set of megans? i have a buddy with a slammed ap2 and recomends them. Hes the reason i went with this brand.

Not saying your one of these people but it seems that theres always people give their "own" reviews when theyve never even owned them.

and from everyone of the people i know personally all tell me to avoid springs for the reason of your going to upgrade to coils within a month. and i dont want to blow my struts with springs
Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brndon076
So have any of you ever owned a set of megans? i have a buddy with a slammed ap2 and recomends them. Hes the reason i went with this brand.

Not saying your one of these people but it seems that theres always people give their "own" reviews when theyve never even owned them.

and from everyone of the people i know personally all tell me to avoid springs for the reason of your going to upgrade to coils within a month. and i dont want to blow my struts with springs

You need to read the suspension threads for both springs and coilovers before doing anything. You bought suspension based on a single friend's experience with a 'slammed' car?

I will say there's a reason your coilovers are cheaper than most others, and it's not because they are higher quality.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan

You need to read the suspension threads for both springs and coilovers before doing anything. You bought suspension based on a single friend's experience with a 'slammed' car?

I will say there's a reason your coilovers are cheaper than most others, and it's not because they are higher quality.
No i didnt. Ive done plenty of research. And its easy to say someone elses stuff is "crap" just because you may have something better. Im a 17 year old kid that works my *** at off at $7.25 to pay for the car, taxes, tags, gas, mods etc.

I had a simple question. it never get answered because people always have to talk down on other peoples stuff because its not as good as theirs may be.

I know there not "top of the line" or "not good enough for you" but theyll work im my situation
Old 12-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im a 17 year old kid
^nuff said.

did u even read my link?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black S2K
^nuff said.

did u even read my link?
Yea I did. Thanks for the link

Last edited by brndon076; 12-24-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no i havent owned a pair because i wouldnt buy junk...i did about 6 months worth of homework before i bought my coilovers and every single review of those coilovers from s2000 owners were negative and the fact theyre made in china doesnt help their cause....if you cant afford better coilovers, wait and save up...its not a component you want to skimp on....no, lowering your car 2 inches will not affect it negatively IF you get it properly aligned afterward
Old 12-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boots
no i havent owned a pair because i wouldnt buy junk...i did about 6 months worth of homework before i bought my coilovers and every single review of those coilovers from s2000 owners were negative and the fact theyre made in china doesnt help their cause....if you cant afford better coilovers, wait and save up...its not a component you want to skimp on....no, lowering your car 2 inches will not affect it negatively IF you get it properly aligned afterward
Ok, thanks.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After reading the link that was provided earlier in the thread I need to go do some home work on where my suspension actually sits and do quite a bit more home work on coilovers. Just because the name is great doesn't mean its the right application for you. Thanks for the link.
Current setup is is Koni Yellows with GC and on 18" Volk Ce28N.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No i didnt. Ive done plenty of research. And its easy to say someone elses stuff is "crap" just because you may have something better. Im a 17 year old kid that works my *** at off at $7.25 to pay for the car, taxes, tags, gas, mods etc.

I had a simple question. it never get answered because people always have to talk down on other peoples stuff because its not as good as theirs may be.

I know there not "top of the line" or "not good enough for you" but theyll work im my situation
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/249-...nd-suspension/

And you're absolutely right, it is easy to say someone else's parts are crap when in fact they are of poor quality, I could be on completely stock suspension and would still have no problems telling you I think Megan makes cheap and poorly made products and that I would never own a set. Your salary and age have nothing to do with the situation. Saving up and buying quality components is much more rewarding than having whatever stuff you can afford at the time.

Will they bolt in? I'm sure they will.
Will they 'work'? I'm sure they will.
Could you have saved an extra $200-300 and bought something nicer? Absolutely.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awww, i love this thread. muffin nailed it. boots nailed it. black nailed it, bserious, etc.. If you want to ignore people helping you that doesn't make you anything other than stupid.

as far as megan coilovers go, you wanted to go with 'handling' as one of two of your objectives, you have failed on the first, which gives me the impression you neglected to read, or learn anything about the subject.. other than your buddy has one...

now you are not only stupid, but ignorant as well.

This being said, we will all still help you, and welcome you gladly..

my only suggestion is you start reading up.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

handling is for homosexuals. I cut my springs and ride dumpt. :D
Old 12-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

7.25 an hour? damn son must be a salvage title 2000 year model
Old 12-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Handling is also subjective.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand that not everyone can put Moton or Ohlins on they're S2K. At the same time I really doubt I would pay for Megan (if they were free I would use them). If you were to save up for awhile longer you could get some better quality coilovers like Buddy Club, KW, or Stance. While these still are not top of the line like the Moton and Ohlins, they are very good quality.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by 92civiceg9gsr
I understand that not everyone can put Moton or Ohlins on they're S2K. At the same time I really doubt I would pay for Megan (if they were free I would use them). If you were to save up for awhile longer you could get some better quality coilovers like Buddy Club, KW, or Stance. While these still are not top of the line like the Moton and Ohlins, they are very good quality.
You're lumping KW in with buddy club and STANCE?!! Incorrect. KW overall is the same quality as Moton or Ohlins. It's just that KW also offers an "street" lineup as well as a race line up. So consequently, some of their products are more affordable and set up softer. The quality of damping and quality of components are what makes a coilover good. And with KW, that's definitely on the upper scale.

Yep. I never tried to help you. I didn't answer your question at all. Oh wait. Yes I did answer your question. You just didn't like the answers. Here, try these answers:

-They might help the handling initially over smooth surfaces.
-They will lose their damping "quality" in a few months.
-The dampers are not always well matched to the springs.
-The damper setting will not always do what you're trying to do. So you're "tuning" the damper by blindly turning ***** and hoping you get lucky.
-The ride will be pretty bad. You may not notice that it's bad because you might not have ridden on something nice before.
-Handling is only ONE dimensional. The car will probably handle better over a very smooth surface, granted that the alignment is done and the rest of the car is in good working order.
-I have had several friends that have, against good advice, bought Megans and D2, etc. The ride in their car was INSANELY BAD. One of them didn't know any better. The other did know better and he was really annoyed.
-I was joking around with a local shop owner about people buying Megans. He said "I wouldn't even sell you that junk if you wanted it".

Ricers always think "well it's stiff and rides like ****....so it must corner well". Wrong. A good damper can handle the spring that it's matched to and then some. The ride SHOULD NOT be bad in a street/track coilover. The ride should still be very acceptable in a pure track coilover. The sense behind that is that roads have bumps. You might need to turn while riding over bumps. If the damper sends the car flying every time it hits a bump....guess what that does to your handling.

Ah yes. You're afraid to blow a set of Honda/Showa shocks by using springs. Even IF THEY BLOW, those shocks cost a couple hundred to replace with used good ones. They'll probably start losing damping power and blow up after being lowered 2'' in like 30-50k miles depending on a few factors.

Your $800 Megan dampers will be garbage within about a year or 12k miles or so.

Your mindset makes no sense.

My advice would be to save your money. The way your car is set up now is free with the purchase of a car. It costs NOTHING to NOT mod it with garbage. I understand you want it to be lower and ****. But you're wasting your money.

Spend money on quality parts. Don't waste money on garbage. There's a difference.

You'll most likely choose to ignore everyone's advice (cuz obviously, everyone's wrong) and install these coilovers. However, when you do, atleast lower it correctly.

Don't use the spring perch to lower the car.
Clock the bushings. The bushings for this car are expensive. Bushings for any car suck *** to replace.
Get it aligned after the springs break in.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTI
It's starting to bother me a little...people ask questions without providing need to know info, it's frustrating because I really like helping people(it's christmas) but people make it sooo hard....#breakdown
the world is being filled with these people.... good luck don't even waiste ur breath its worth too much ...

Quick Reply: Lowering and handling