Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Lowering and handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lowering and handling

if price is that big of an issue to you, you shouldn't be looking at coilovers....

cheap coilovers is almost never good.

if price is an issue, get springs. i've been running on swift spec r for a year and a half, and that's about 35-40k miles.... my oem shocks are still fine... and i would recommend swift springs to anyone who aren't looking to track their car and just want their car to look better lowered. and, from what it sounds like, you fit that profile.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have swift springs also. The car sits a little lower and they are pretty much perfect for the S2000.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wtf 2 pages about megan coilovers, i'll settle it. LET'S RACE!!!! WHERE'S THAT INITIAL D MUSIC AND THE TOUGE THAT APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE ON THE INTERNET?

Oh and excuse my friend, he builds boats with wheels:
Originally Posted by HondaKyle
I have swift springs also. The car sits a little lower and they are pretty much perfect for the S2000.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ lol
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, inital d ftw.. god of hand.. drives an s2000... nuff said.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We do suspensions for a living and are pretty good at it. Lowering much below say 30mm WILL require changing the roll centers and bumpsteer if you want the car to handle even as good as stock. Further while KW is OK, their dampers are made by a company that specializes in fishing boat shocks called AL-KO and is nowhere near the quality of Moton, AST, KONI, JRZ&c. However, make no mistake we sell KW for certain applications where nothing else is available (5 & 6 series BMWs for example) and it is adequate if overpriced. That stated. I would take KW hands down over Tein, Megan and others in my experience. Spring rates depend upon where you live and how you are going to use the car and anybody recommending without asking some probing questions first is being less than candid with you. We spend a fairly long time with our customers before making judgement recommendations on springs and dampers and we have been doing this for many years with customer data points all over the globe - also beware of people with experience with one car in one location used for one purpose making recommendations for your particular situation unless of course they share all your traits. That is why whenever we have the opportunity, we spec custom stuff instead of these one size fits all kits. Drop me a line if you want to talk suspension or brakes handling whatever.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stock shocks and rates are pretty damn good. you have external reservoir in the shocks and perfect travel. what's your intended usage? or is it just for looks?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If all you really care about is looks, you're okay with Megan's. It's been proven before that most aftermarket suspension lowering mods hurt the suspension geometry more than anything. Unless you spend some real money on top end suspension bits. Some people just want to look good. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is racing to see who can get to the grocery store the fastest.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so your saying its ok for people to make their car performance worse??

does this make sense with a s2000?
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're just going for looks, apexi exv's are pretty nice, good quality, and adjustable
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mrkjsn
If all you really care about is looks, you're okay with Megan's. It's been proven before that most aftermarket suspension lowering mods hurt the suspension geometry more than anything. Unless you spend some real money on top end suspension bits. Some people just want to look good. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is racing to see who can get to the grocery store the fastest.
There are no inherent handling issues from lowering 30mm or less period, taking away the inherent rear bump/roll steer effects from using OEM toe arms (a totally separate issue and worse on AP1s than 2s but still present). The issues encountered at less than 30mm are issues dealing with crappy dampers and incorrect springrates. For example, a good properly speced GC coilover kit set within 30mm of stock rideheight and speced with sufficient springrates, say 500/400 will improve ride comfort and handling pretty drasticly and at a good price. Where we see issues with such speced kits are with improper install - preloading dampers, uneven ride heights without bar effects (better to cornerweight) and improper damper adjustment - people tend to much higher rebound settings than are optimal (generally people like rebound damping more than car does and tend to use too much until car feels great as it spins out of control from packing down). The GC kit is about as inexpensive as it comes, uses quality KONI yellow dampers (pretty damned good for the price) & Eibach Race Springs (straight rate which is vastly superiour) and makes a huge improvement in every parametre properly speced and installed. Sure there are better available but for street and trackday, it would be tough to beat for the level of skill and limits pushed to by these users.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
shit post warrior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DER MotorSports
We do suspensions for a living and are pretty good at it. Lowering much below say 30mm WILL require changing the roll centers and bumpsteer if you want the car to handle even as good as stock. Further while KW is OK, their dampers are made by a company that specializes in fishing boat shocks called AL-KO and is nowhere near the quality of Moton, AST, KONI, JRZ&c. However, make no mistake we sell KW for certain applications where nothing else is available (5 & 6 series BMWs for example) and it is adequate if overpriced. That stated. I would take KW hands down over Tein, Megan and others in my experience. Spring rates depend upon where you live and how you are going to use the car and anybody recommending without asking some probing questions first is being less than candid with you. We spend a fairly long time with our customers before making judgement recommendations on springs and dampers and we have been doing this for many years with customer data points all over the globe - also beware of people with experience with one car in one location used for one purpose making recommendations for your particular situation unless of course they share all your traits. That is why whenever we have the opportunity, we spec custom stuff instead of these one size fits all kits. Drop me a line if you want to talk suspension or brakes handling whatever.
There are no inherent handling issues from lowering 30mm or less period, taking away the inherent rear bump/roll steer effects from using OEM toe arms (a totally separate issue and worse on AP1s than 2s but still present). The issues encountered at less than 30mm are issues dealing with crappy dampers and incorrect springrates. For example, a good properly speced GC coilover kit set within 30mm of stock rideheight and speced with sufficient springrates, say 500/400 will improve ride comfort and handling pretty drasticly and at a good price. Where we see issues with such speced kits are with improper install - preloading dampers, uneven ride heights without bar effects (better to cornerweight) and improper damper adjustment - people tend to much higher rebound settings than are optimal (generally people like rebound damping more than car does and tend to use too much until car feels great as it spins out of control from packing down). The GC kit is about as inexpensive as it comes, uses quality KONI yellow dampers (pretty damned good for the price) & Eibach Race Springs (straight rate which is vastly superiour) and makes a huge improvement in every parametre properly speced and installed. Sure there are better available but for street and trackday, it would be tough to beat for the level of skill and limits pushed to by these users.
Wonderful info.

I will look you up in the near future.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
If all you want is a 2'' drop, buy some springs. A nice set of springs is better than a shitty set of coilovers.
So the stock shocks would handle lowering springs? (I'm only thinking about lowering 1-1.5")
Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually had some brand new megan coilovers. never used them. i traded them and the guy put them on his S and one blew within a month. -just my experience with them
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Em1LuiSiR
i actually had some brand new megan coilovers. never used them. i traded them and the guy put them on his S and one blew within a month. -just my experience with them
Did the guy slam them to death?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTI
Did the guy slam them to death?
not really. just like 2.5 inches maybe.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Em1LuiSiR
not really. just like 2.5 inches maybe.
-2,5" IS slammed, as in riding on the bump stops for the most part. It is no wonder they blew, let alone how badly that vehicle must have handled presuming he didn't correct the arms to return roll centers to proper setting. These are pretty crappy dampers and kit to begin with but he never gave them a chance to perform properly.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ what? the megans just like most new design coilovers lower the car buy lowering the damper into the bottom bracket not by lowering the spring thus making the the shock travel shorter and having it bottom out.

so considering the person using the megans lowered the car correctly he wouldnt be ridding the bump stops. thus their dampers r just pure and utter **** if they blow after a month of street use.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

which they are pure and utter ****...no surprise there
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Trial User

MY megans are great
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow..

****ing christ s2000's are turning into such a abused and neglected **** box... ****ing 17 year old kid making 7 bucks an hour drives one and doesn't give two ***** about it.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-2,5" IS slammed, as in riding on the bump stops for the most part. It is no wonder they blew, let alone how badly that vehicle must have handled presuming he didn't correct the arms to return roll centers to proper setting. These are pretty crappy dampers and kit to begin with but he never gave them a chance to perform properly.
no it was definately not slammed. it was a 2 inch drop at the most i was mistaken about the 2.5". But to the OP imo just get some springs, probably get you to where you want with your s.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black S2K
^ what? the megans just like most new design coilovers lower the car buy lowering the damper into the bottom bracket not by lowering the spring thus making the the shock travel shorter and having it bottom out.

so considering the person using the megans lowered the car correctly he wouldnt be ridding the bump stops. thus their dampers r just pure and utter **** if they blow after a month of street use.
We don't deal with garbage like the Asian dampers and kits and hence aren't aware of which specifically are body length adjustable so apologies there. However we do deal with a wide variety of the best dampers made in the world including Moton, AST, JRZ, Penske, KONI, Ohlins&c. Of those, unless custom produced, only Ohlins has an adjustable body length versus effecting ride height at the spring perch and it relies on old damping technology, namely shim stacks exclusively to effect damping - bear in mind the aforementioned manufacturers dominate racing internationally selling exactly what is being raced at the highest levels. I will state from the outset that coming from a motorcycle racing background, I prefer body length adjustability vs spring perch for ride height setting and had I the druthers WOULD incorporate it in a damper I designed; HOWEVER, the primary role of the damper is to damp and barring effectivness of that parametre, no amount of build features nor quality control matters: e.g., TEIN is a piece of $hit albeit a very well built, high quality produced piece of $hit. You may be terming being primarily motorcycle derived as a "new design" parametre as the ability to adjust ride height by lengthening the body is a characteristic of the motorcycle damper scene more than auto. The only brand having success in both road based autos and motorcycles these days is Ohlins and even there overwhelmingly with formula or sports racers. That is not to state that the old technology of complete reliance on shim stacks is an inherently bad concept; properly done it is every bit as good as the new piston centic designs. However, amongst the downsides are a Moton/JRZ/AST service kit consists of a fishing box whereas a Ohlins kit consists of a small delivery van to accomplish the same thing. The "newer technology" dampers can be adjusted externally over a wider range with a given physical internal structure whereas the traditional has a relatively narrower range and other critical differences that require changing internals to alter. However, even the new technology dampers can be pieces of $hit if the damping curves are wrong for the intended application or the build quality low.

In any case the particular vehicle was slammed under any definition and any party responsibly selling suspension parts should have advised altering the roll centers for anything below say 35/40mm of drop (much less than even 2") AND provided or recommended appropriately stiffer springs to account for the reduced suspension travel before botoming out be it resulting from hitting coil bind, damper travel or wheel travel and effectively taking the wheel rate to infinity instantaneously which is a very dangerous trait.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Campbelljj
MY megans are great

no they're not...put a good quality coilover on and you'll see just how shitty your megans are
Old 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good info.. good stuff guys. Now if I can find a CR... I 'd probably leave it alone

Quick Reply: Lowering and handling