Notices
Honda S2000 Honda S2000

engine life

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine life

i know that regular jdm engines can have a sh*t load of miles on it but what about the s2000 scine its always runing hard and at high rpm does it last less or is it the same
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 AM
...still your worst nightmare squared

Default Re: engine life (chino2x2x2x)

regular maintenance. And its a Honda engine. Seriously. Of all the Vtec engines produced there hasnt been one that has just failed for no reason.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I worked at a place that had an S2000 engine on a dyno. They were testing it because they wanted to make timing chains for it. While I was there they only had it on for 24 hours...at full throttle, 8500rpm. Honda told then that after around 350 hours (full throttle, 8500rpm), the rockers will start to fail due to fatigue. That's two weeks straight of running full blast.

Basically, it's a Honda engine. It will not fail under normal conditions. Besides that, they say that a more accurate measure of an engine's life is how many times it has been started/ stopped than how many miles it did.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: engine life (JDM knowledge)

Lol the dude from top gear says that when they are having the roadster battle and hes all about the s2000

But yea I have about 73k on mines and my friend has 30k and our cars are dead even they pull exectly the same.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chino2x2x2x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know that regular jdm engines can have a sh*t load of miles on it but what about the s2000 scine its always runing hard and at high rpm does it last less or is it the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

This honestly is an excellent question.

as the ongoing debate of Ap1 vs. Ap2 rages on, I have noticed that the 07 models obviously have the best dyno results, and the older Ap1's sometimes having the lowest.

I own a 99 AP1 number #2174 ever brought into america. I was very dissapointed when hearing that the Ap2's were aparently more powerful than the Ap1's.

I drove a bunch of Ap2's, and Ap1's after hearing all this, friends and whatnot, even ran a few times with my ap2 buddies from a roll, and from a dead stop just messing around, traded and did the same. Pretty much all our cars are stock, except for very little modifications. (exhaust, intake, test pipe, etc.)

Anyway, what I have found is.. I have no problem pulling on my friends 04. I would bet money that my ap1 would dyno higher, but as far as my other friends 07 goes...not close. then I also ran with some guy i met at a meet, his 03. and I smoked him.

My point is, why are there so many different data and test results for different year S2000's?

Why are some Ap1's incredible, and other's horrible. Same goes for ap2?

Is it because my friends beat on their cars harder, don't do as much matenice as i do, or did the factory just make my car better?

Am I the only one who feels this way? someone out there please make me feel like im not crazy.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: engine life (Techno Tonis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techno Tonis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This honestly is an excellent question.

as the ongoing debate of Ap1 vs. Ap2 rages on, I have noticed that the 07 models obviously have the best dyno results, and the older Ap1's sometimes having the lowest.

I own a 99 AP1 number #2174 ever brought into america. I was very dissapointed when hearing that the Ap2's were aparently more powerful than the Ap1's.

I drove a bunch of Ap2's, and Ap1's after hearing all this, friends and whatnot, even ran a few times with my ap2 buddies from a roll, and from a dead stop just messing around, traded and did the same. Pretty much all our cars are stock, except for very little modifications. (exhaust, intake, test pipe, etc.)

Anyway, what I have found is.. I have no problem pulling on my friends 04. I would bet money that my ap1 would dyno higher, but as far as my other friends 07 goes...not close. then I also ran with some guy i met at a meet, his 03. and I smoked him.

My point is, why are there so many different data and test results for different year S2000's?

Why are some Ap1's incredible, and other's horrible. Same goes for ap2?

Is it because my friends beat on their cars harder, don't do as much matenice as i do, or did the factory just make my car better?

Am I the only one who feels this way? someone out there please make me feel like im not crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>well the engine is very sensitive. there has to be some difference in power depending on a whole shitload of things. Maybe your friend's sparkplugs had more carbon on them. Maybe their air filters were dirtier. Maybe the gas in your tank had more octane (octane numbers at the pump are average numbers). Maybe your friend weighs more than you do. Older oil in the power train. Maybe your engine was running a tad bit colder intake temps at the time. Tons and tons and tons of stuff other than obvious driving skill differences.

There is such a thing as a "factory freak". Happens in LS1s all the time. I'm sure it happens in F20Cs/F22Cs.

OP: I'm sure that the engine is very durable. This isnt a GM/ford/Chrysler. If Honda designed it to do something...it will do it very well over and over and over and over again. As long as you operate the engine within it's parameters, im sure it will last a VERY long time. There are some very high mileage cars on S2Ki. I've heard as high as 200k miles, I think.

There's an NSX on the Honda tech NSX forums that has 300k on it. I know it's not an F20/22, but the NSX revs to like 8500 as well....AND IT'S A V MOTOR!!

I've also heard that the F20/22 is hand built? Is there any truth to this?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

100k until 1st tune up. Highest one I've seen has 210k.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine life (Nameless Warrior)

like another other motor with regular maint./upkeep and a driver that isnt on the rev limitir and racing it everyday it will last a long time