Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Clutch burn

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch burn

Hey guys, recently purchased my s2000 2 days ago and it drove fine until
i came off the highway near my house and started to smell something burning. I later found out it was my clutch when i pulled into my garage.
There was no visable smoke, just smelt horrible inside the car. The car shifts normally, but is it normal for the clutch to push in all the way to change gears? i bought the vehicle like this (thats how i drive) but i accidently 1 time didnt push in the pedal all the way maybe half and it didnt dis-engage

Is this a big problem as far as the clutch burn or just a minor scar that could later be driven out later driving normally?

Thankyou
-Kevin.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch burn

That's a hard call to make since we, nor you know the previous state of the clutch. If the clutch is/was in proper order you should be fine. I wouldn't go all the way down, but I don't know if it actually harms the clutch or not
Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch is stock, everything on the vehicle is stock except for an intake. Got it from a middle age guy that i hope took care of it.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a thread that could have the info to your problem check it out.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-s2000-5/hello-everyone-2731215/
Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

question numba 1 do u know how to drive?

"but is it normal for the clutch to push in all the way to change gears?"

i was under the impression that to disengage a clutch properly u had to push the clutch peddle all the way down, call me crazy but thats how i do it
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i know how to drive, all vehicle ares different, i read that others push down there clutch in half way and change gears. i dont do that but thats what i read.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you didn't push the clutch pedal far enough you probably would have heard a god awful grinding noise. You technically only need to push the pedal far enough for the pressure plate to separate far enough from the fly wheel for the clutch disk to spin freely but you should always push the pedal to the floor to be sure. How many miles are on the car? You might just have an old worn clutch in need of replacement, but for you to smell clutch it would have to be slipping. Did you ever notice your revs increasing but not your speed while in gear and clutch out?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black S2K
question numba 1 do u know how to drive?

"but is it normal for the clutch to push in all the way to change gears?"

i was under the impression that to disengage a clutch properly u had to push the clutch peddle all the way down, call me crazy but thats how i do it
not necessarily dude. i've driven cars with a real high biting point and i never fully depressed the pedal. faster changes too.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4doorH22
If you didn't push the clutch pedal far enough you probably would have heard a god awful grinding noise. You technically only need to push the pedal far enough for the pressure plate to separate far enough from the fly wheel for the clutch disk to spin freely but you should always push the pedal to the floor to be sure. How many miles are on the car? You might just have an old worn clutch in need of replacement, but for you to smell clutch it would have to be slipping. Did you ever notice your revs increasing but not your speed while in gear and clutch out?
No, the rev hasn't increased when you said "ever notice your revs increasing but not your speed while in gear and clutch out" because its running normal, i dont smell anything anymore? as far as i know i think this happen when i was accidently started to move on 3rd gear making a right turn from a complete thought and thought it was on 1st.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the smell is gone, and it isn't slipping it was probably just a minor boo boo. I dunno how the years clutches are different, but my clutch disengages at about 1/4th the way down. sounds like if anything you barely disengaged it, it rubbed thus the smell. If it's not slipping within a few days you probably did very minimal harm.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think so also, when i burned it, it never slipped and now its the 3rd day runs perfect no smells
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you weren't disengaging enough on that day you burnt the clutch. I think you rested your foot on the clutch and let it sit. if that sounds about right, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kevinnuh
Hey guys, recently purchased my s2000 2 days ago and it drove fine until
i came off the highway near my house and started to smell something burning. I later found out it was my clutch when i pulled into my garage.
There was no visable smoke, just smelt horrible inside the car. The car shifts normally, but is it normal for the clutch to push in all the way to change gears? i bought the vehicle like this (thats how i drive) but i accidently 1 time didnt push in the pedal all the way maybe half and it didnt dis-engage

Is this a big problem as far as the clutch burn or just a minor scar that could later be driven out later driving normally?

Thankyou
-Kevin.
i think the question we should ask is what were you doing during the time it led up to you getting off the highway and finding smoke.

if you were dropping gears on the highway, this will lead to a massive exertion on your clutch disk. you probably scorched it a good bit
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I said there wasn't any smoke to be seen during and when i parked the car, i was downshifting cause of a redlight on the highway. (you could be thinking a redlight on a highway, yes kansas has some LAME *** intersections on the highway)

Anyhow smell is gone and its been about 4 days i believe since the incident