Honda S2000 Honda S2000

To buy or not to buy...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy...?

hey guys ive decided to post here since i know you guys know ur s2000's front to back and then some. so this is the deal...i had a 1998 integra which was stolen about a month ago. Since then i havent really wanted to get another since i know it will get stolen in due time just as any other civics or preludes. so since i am getting older or what not but still dont want to get rid of my love for the hondas i decided to jump onto the s2k bandwagon. now i need your opinion on whether this deal i found is a good one or whether i should think about getting another type of car for the money...here it goes...

2001 grand prix white, black/red interior, oem front lip spoiler, oem honda rear deck wing, 36,000 miles, no hardtop, dropped on eibach springs, it had an hks dual hiper exhaust and a mugen intake but those will be taken out...basically its a stock 01 gpw with the red interior that is so hard to find since there was only limited produced. its completely stock and it runs fine, however, i dont know if i should risk it for 17k. im afraid im gonna get the car and the minute i bring it home, its gonna have problems. that would be a shame since its not a 4k dollar integra or civic. its a large sum of money and i wanna make sure that everything is perfect. what are some things i should look for and is it a good buy according to you guys. any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated...

the guy who has it is the only owner...only drives it in the summer, hence the mileage, and is what i consider to be very meticulous. he seems just like me and i took care of my integra like nothing else. he was a honda tech but now works for another dealership. also he is 29 and is about to have a baby in a month so he needs to get rid of the car in order to get something bigger and more suitable for his family...

frank
Old 11-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To buy or not to buy...? (JdmTypeRdc2)

With 36,000 miles on the car... I PERSONALLY would request any type of maintenance records that have been done on the car, outside of regular oil changes.

IE:

Rear diff fluid change
Trans fluid change
Brakes
Tires
Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First off, I think that color combo is the best that Honda has put out to date, so who cares if it breaks down--it'll still look pretty sitting in the driveway

Seriously, I don't think you will have too much problems, but have Honda do a PPI. Does it still have a warranty?

Also, you have to think about what you're going to do if you need more space to haul stuff/people. You CAN get by driving an S2k as your only car, but personally, I wouldn't. I remember one time, I had to pick up someone from the airport, but my DD was being worked on. I went in my S2k, and couldn't even fit the bags in the trunk. I had to leave the trunk open and ghetto tie it so it wouldn't flap around. Anyway, something to think about.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have 2 other cars that i can easily drive if something comes up. usually with my integra, i would never drive people around anyway, just me and my girl all the time. if for some reason i would need to go out on the weekend with more people and i had to drive i would take my dads car since he never uses it. so that is not the problem...i have access to other forms of transportation. here in nj we only get like maybe 2 weeks of snow...and by the first 2 or 3 days everything is cleared off the streets...i would probably drive one of my dads cars instead for those days that snow is all over the road. the only thing i was worried about is whether its worth the 17k and will rwd be that hard to control since i never had one before...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's in mint shape, then $17k is a good price.

If you end up getting it, go to some auto-x events. You'll learn the basics of driving a RWD. Too many idiots think they can drive the S like their FF Civic/Integras.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: (P Nut)

sounds like a good deal for a car that sounds to be in good shape. The mugen intake isn't cheap, and the shows the owner appreciates quality parts. I have yet to meet a mechanic that hammers/beats/abuses his personal "fun" car, a likeness to the s2k you're interested in since it's only driven in the summer. Snag that up but buy at your own risk...don't blame me if anything goes wrong
Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM

Sounds alright. I would personally check the condition of the top. As long as it doesn't leak and the motor in it is in working order, you should be good to go. Good luck man! Post pictures if you buy it
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmcteg98)

lucky
i hate you if you get it with all my heart
=]
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To buy or not to buy...? (JdmTypeRdc2)

Personally, when I was looking for my AP2, I searched very very very long and very very hard to find an S that wasn't molested or touched in anyway, basically completely stock and untouched. I don't like the idea of the pervious owner driving my car hard. I eventually found an old grandpa that was 67 that had a sebring silver with only 2000 miles on it. His son bought the car for him on his 66th birthday as a gift, but he said that he was too old for such cars and didn't drive it much...I was super lucky and got a good deal since he wanted to get rid of it.

My advice...and this is just my preference, don't buy a car that has been touched or modded in anyway...its an indication that the car was probaby driven hard. HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that the car is in bad condition in anyway, BUT you never know, its the owners word. Basically, the less modded the better, but if its in good condition, 17K isn't a bad deal at all. Remember, you get what you pay for. PLus that color combo is really nice. Just watch out for that rear plastic window...it might be discolored or yellow and as for a price reduction if it is and really bad...and yes...ask for records like stated above.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with the fact that i wouldnt want a car thats been modded, but im the living proof of someone who had a modded integra and never beat on it. this guy seems like hes a good dude and has been said to baby the car. i was just concerned with the rear wheel drive aspect of owning this car. i will probably be getting it but what other options do i have for the same price and performance as this s2?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To buy or not to buy...? (Weifast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Weifast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My advice...and this is just my preference, don't buy a car that has been touched or modded in anyway...its an indication that the car was probaby driven hard. HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that the car is in bad condition in anyway, BUT you never know, its the owners word. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd much rather buy from an enthusiast than some old grandpa, personally. But I do agree on the modifications--I like to buy stock cars, because I usually keep them stock.