Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

New Build, couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Build, couple questions.

Hey guys, I'm a new member here.

I have a '04 Ruckus, bought it in San Francisco & took it back to the Valley since I've moved. Since then I've wanted to build it out/modify.
I'm going to drop a Taida GY6 built from DROW along with most of the parts from there, so I'm not too worried about getting bunk parts or engine questions since I'll just be asking them in person.

What I am curious about is the wheel clearance of the ruckus, what is the biggest wheel I can put in a ruckus? I've seen 16" (I think...) but I'd like to know what you guys think.
Also, does anyone on here have a fatty front? like 5+ inches, I'm looking at putting in an 8-9" front to match the back.
And my last question, how the hell do you find a matching rim set for the type of look I'm going for (lets say 12x8) that is centered on one and has the 3+4 offset on the other?? I can't find anything and am looking into just purchasing different rims altogether.

Thanks if anyone replies, any help is appreciated. Once the funds appear I'll start the build and put up a build thread w/ some pics
Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New Build, couple questions.

Going for the Bat-Pod look huh? Cool.
First - 12x4 is the size of most custom front wheels. Anything wider will rub on the stock fork legs.
I've seen a 16inch wheel on youtube, but there isn't much clearance for shock travel and the
fork legs appear to be longer than stock (probably came from donor bike).
Second - In order to do a fatty front, you will need a wider triple tree to accomodate the fatty wheel.
Again, the stock triple tree will be too narrow. (see picture)
Lastly - I'm not sure where to find a matching set of wheels but 'MachinedMachines' would be a good
place to start. They specialize in custom wheels, and they might be able to help with the front hub
you're gonna need. (gotta mount those brakes somehow right?lol)
Hope this helps and good luck with the build!!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sTol2m
Going for the Bat-Pod look huh? Cool.
First - 12x4 is the size of most custom front wheels. Anything wider will rub on the stock fork legs.
I've seen a 16inch wheel on youtube, but there isn't much clearance for shock travel and the
fork legs appear to be longer than stock (probably came from donor bike).
Second - In order to do a fatty front, you will need a wider triple tree to accomodate the fatty wheel.
Again, the stock triple tree will be too narrow. (see picture)
Lastly - I'm not sure where to find a matching set of wheels but 'MachinedMachines' would be a good
place to start. They specialize in custom wheels, and they might be able to help with the front hub
you're gonna need. (gotta mount those brakes somehow right?lol)
Hope this helps and good luck with the build!!!

Thanks for the reply sTol2m.

I’ve found the jap website for that ruck you posted, I’m hoping to (more or less) mimick a fair amount of their what they did with their ruckus they’ve built. With the triple tree I wasn’t able to clearly tell what they were saying because of google translate issues but it seemed like they took one from another motorcycle and put it on theirs, I’m wondering how feasible it is to design your own and have it CNC’ed?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the Tokyoparts blog, its a one-off triple tree they CNC’ed and either welded/bolted it to
a Ruckus or Honda Dio stem. You could ask them to make one for you. Or get the specs for it.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RIght on, I’ll probably just do the same thing they did. I’m thinking about using coil overs so I’ll probably need some extra width on the front anyways