Notices
Honda Ruckus and Scooters Ruckus, Silverwing, Reflex, Helix, Metropolitan

How exactly does a wide wheel mod work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly does a wide wheel mod work?

I know to a lot of you this must be a stupid question, but I just don't know much about bikes in general.

How is it possible to put a wider than stock wheel on the back of a scooter? I'm imagining there must be a longer axle and possible a spacer to keep everything aligned, but it still confuses me. Especially when I see the ruckus' with an extremely wide wheel it makes me wonder how the transmission components are still in place without rubbing or sticking out at a weird angle.

What needs to be modified in order for it to work? Is the entire engine mounted differently or something so that the wheel can remain centered?

Like I said.... This is foreign to me.

Can anyone please explain this to me and/or post close up photos
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How exactly does a wide wheel mod work?

you have to offset the motor and buy a larger and offset wheel. there are special extension kits to offset the motor for the wider wheel.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How exactly does a wide wheel mod work?

^^Correct. Basically, you are putting a wider wheel on that is offset correctly so that it does not run on the transmission housing. On the 7" wheel that I purchased the offset is 3/4. So the side that faces the transmission is 3" deep and the other side is 4" deep.

Now if you stick this on a stock ruckus, the wheel will not be centered anymore so you have to space the entire motor over to the left, so the wheel sits where it needs to be.

Some people buy engine extensions that already space the motor over. Others use normal engine extensions and build their own spacers.

Hope that helps.