Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why isn't the prelude popular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the prelude popular?

Originally Posted by Sonin Fury
I think the 92-96 style looks amazing, but everyone around here always says they think they are too heavy.
I am still looking into getting one, and once I get the money J swap!
Most honda builds work on a simple power to weight ratio, they are just light so they are fast. But I dont care how heavy a prelude is with 300+ HP you get just about anything to move.

hey im sellin my 92 prelude with exhaust intake coilovers racing seats with sparco harnesses keyless entry also it the best part jdm was actually built in japan and only asking around $2000
Old 03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think now a days the biggest reason preludes are unpopular is the weight. Some civics are running high 10's with 400+whp. Later gen preludes are running high 11's with that kind of power. If your looking to make the fastest Honda you can get for your money then the Prelude is not something to consider. Aftermarket support isn't on the level of other models either. I personally wanted to build a well rounded car. Some still dont like the styling of the Preludes. Preludes probably get more respect in terms of styling quality from people who own other cars rather than Honda owners. I personally think the fanboys are jealous of the long snout and hunch rear sport car styling. To bad its not a true "Sports Car" tho lol.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 92civlude
As far as production goes, I think it was snubbed out by the S2000. The S2000 was introduced in 2000, The Prelude was dropped in 01. Sales were bleak in 01 for the Prelude. The Prelude and Civic/Integra are different class of cars. Its difficult to compare. Honda is re-introducing The CRX as the CRZ. Maybe the Prelude will come back after the S2000 goes bye-bye.
Honda re-introuded the CRX as the Del Sol.....the del sol was the "third gen CRX" which was modified to compete with the mazda miata. Honda scrapped the del sol in order to make a better "tiny convertable coupe", aka the S2000 (which also cut the sports coupe market of the prelude)

Though the CRZ being a re-introuduction of the "Hatch CRX" i'm guessing to compete with toyota bring back the AE-86 Corolla

In conclusion, the S2000 was the new "convertible coupe" and the new "sports coupe" which cut the need for the Del Sol/CRX and the Prelude
(though its initial development started when Del Sol went out of production to make a better, pricier, convertible)f

EDIT: I miss my targa top ;(

Last edited by Apocolipse269; 03-12-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: TARGATOP!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

del sol was another honda that was too heavy. for its 160hp.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. This has really helped.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Preludes are heavy?!......Blah freakin blah.
Compare Torque to weight of the Prelude/Civic/Integra.
If Preludes are heavy, Integras/Civics are Torqueless.
/done
Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only reason why theyre not as popular is cause theyre more expensive and not as many parts out there for them but not because theyre "too heavy" NirVTEC explained that one.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We can also talk about overall production numbers. My guess is 20 Civic/Integras to every Prelude.
On average, the Prelude was $10k more than the most expensive Civic during its current production.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NirVTEC
/done
Very true. I mean, who doesn't love torque steer? Just the other day some dude in an integra GSR was revving at me and we both had a lot of people in our cars and so He took off only to be like two cars behind me since his car had no torque response. Preludes handle very well under a lot of weight, that was their design. Drive a Prelude and I guarantee that no other Honda/Acura will feel the same to you, ever again.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion people don't like preludes because everyone has jumped on a delusional bandwagon of thinking they are crap. This is true in Japan as well, where you can pick up a 'Lude with an H22 for the equivalent of $2000-$3000.

However, it's all crap.

People think they are heavy, but... They are only heavy when compared to a Civic. They are just a tad heaver then a well-equipped Integra. When you compare it to Mustangs, Camaros, and other varieties of wasteful pushrod actuated primitive obsessions of useless displacement, they are far lighter.

They have a far superior (in my opinion) engine - 200 HP stock and more torque than an ITR. They were pricy when they were made but they're pretty cheap now if you can find one.

Think about it. You can get a EM1 for $5000-$6000, or you can get an SH for the same price.

The 'Lude is faster, more comfortable, more luxurious, has more features, and if you got ATTS, has better handling.

Preludes are sexy.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

amen to that Korman haha
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95ludeVTEC
I def. agree. the preludes looks and rarity beat those of civics and integras anyday. and chicks deff digg the lude of all hondas. who cares about the weight really with the h22 compensates for it, lol
Chicks digs the lude of all hondas? You sure about that? I thought it was the S2000's or the 8th generation civics.

TO OP: Preludes were with the Accords and Civics were with Integras.

2 interchangeable parts to each other.

Preludes and Accord were a bit pricey compared to Civics and Integras.

Plus there were more Aftermarket parts for Civics and Integras.

Weight was never a deal. Preludes had the Torque to handle the weight. (Why do you think people swap H's F's even G's into lighter shell? For the TQ of course.

Why don't you ever see B series into Accords? Because they are damn Torque less with exception of the CRV motors (B20). They would rather go with the Preludes set up.

Plain and simple, the civic and integra was the best bang for your bucks, if you wanted to be fast.

Civic and integra were for the younger kids. (Excluding people who builds their car for speed)

5th gen preludes were for the more mature people.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 20-EM2-05
Chicks digs the lude of all hondas? You sure about that? I thought it was the S2000's or the 8th generation civics.
sorry, i dont disagree with your entire post. but no generation civic is a panty dropper.. not that the prelude is either.. but civic.. c'mon

cars that actually attract women are 40k+ luxury/sports cars (s2k and nsx fall here)
not a car they too, own.. (civic)
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you need a car to attract women.......Well, I guess you're just a nerd.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
sorry, i dont disagree with your entire post. but no generation civic is a panty dropper.. not that the prelude is either.. but civic.. c'mon

cars that actually attract women are 40k+ luxury/sports cars (s2k and nsx fall here)
not a car they too, own.. (civic)
Well, i'm just saying, for a honda. The S2K and 8th gen(SI/Mugen) are probably the closest you can get to a chick magnet. Except if you own one of those Honda NSX from Japan

Get any Luxury car worth more than 100 grand and a chick will sleep in bed with you just to drive it hahaha. Jokes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahah yes very true......
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you really just call a $20k econo-car a chick magnet? LULzzz

I guess I'm just a little biased, I used to pull tail in a 1984 Chevy Cavalier & 1997 Dodge Ram-Van......and used to laugh at their boyfriends that drove nice cars and got cheated on left and right.
I do thank them for one thing, feeding them and buying them clothes. I used to just get them drunk......and well, you know!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the trannys = el'sucko
Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you really just call a $20k econo-car a chick magnet? LULzzz

I guess I'm just a little biased, I used to pull tail in a 1984 Chevy Cavalier & 1997 Dodge Ram-Van......and used to laugh at their boyfriends that drove nice cars and got cheated on left and right.
I do thank them for one thing, feeding them and buying them clothes. I used to just get them drunk......and well, you know!
Eh. I didn't know a 8th gen si or mugen was 20 grand.

Well, I said that's for a HONDA.

Best bet. Get a bike...

But yeah, back to the topic hahaha. No more chick magnets
Old 03-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22 civic
the h trannys in Civic/Integra drivers = el'sucko
I fixed it for you.

No prob

Originally Posted by 20-EM2-05
Eh. I didn't know a 8th gen si or mugen was 20 grand.
Actually invoice for an 8G Si is $20,304-$1,000 Cash Back=$19,304

if you paid ~$30k for a Mugen Si
Old 03-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, ya if a girl is with you because of your car, that's not good. The next guy she sees with a better car, she will run off with lol. I'm also thinking about getting a Prelude just cause the crime factor is less, and I'm going to college next year and don't want it to get stolen.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by autoluder
del sol was another honda that was too heavy. for its 160hp.
lol your #s are wrong. Del Sol S had about 115 the Si had about 150 at best stock (varying in years)

The del sol, and subsequently the s2000, HAD to be heavy for how tiny it was. Simply put, any convertibles need extra reinforcement to pass crash safety standards. I believe if i'm not mistaken that USDM 93 Del Sols and 92 JDM del sols were accually very light b/c they didnt adhere to the standards imposed in 94 (i could be off on years a bit but you get the idea)
Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

/done
If only flywheel torque to weight meant anything.

But I guess it's good that it doesn't: with only ~14 pounds per lb-ft a diesel Jetta would smoke the Prelude (~18 pounds per lb-ft). And with ~10 pounds of curb weight per lb-ft those horrible mid-90s Mustangs that run 15s would be deadly. Heck, so would a 2010 Mustang GT with about the same 10 pounds of curb weight per lb-ft.

Oh wait, those actually are fast....
Old 03-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure i read this whole thread, and i don't think it was covered about why the civic/ teg is more popular, its because these two chassis support WAY more engine swap choices than a prelude, with out having to get special axles, or fabrication, only time when it was tough was squeezing in a h22 before the h2b kits were out. and the k20 in the ek requires using the eg subframe. And has sport covers all the motor mount needs.

How many different engines fit in a prelude like they were meant to be there? that are actually a upgrade from a h22??? only thing better is k24 and its not a easy swap.

-Clint your always selling on torque, power to weight ratio is another option to torque. People starting out in racing should not be having lots of torque, skill should be developed first. That is why a b series civic with good suspension is the best starter car to get into the scene, looking back... have traction, have your line, then have the power out of the turn with HP and not tq pushing you off your line.. tq wasted is no good tq at all.

Just look at all the stock cars in 92-96 that had More Tq or more power than a prelude and were just as fast or slower.. , MR2 , celica alltrac, pontiac gtp, camaro, mustang, stealth, gsx, tsi, 300zx non turbo.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its far more reliable to just do a complete stock engine/tranny swap into a light shell than mod a engine and transmission to be fast.

Quick Reply: Why isn't the prelude popular?