Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

why does my prelude make a screeching sound when i start it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my prelude make a screeching sound when i start it?

i have a 99 prelude type sh. the other day it started making a weird sound when i start it. the sound it makes is like when your car is already running and then you turn the ignition over and it makes that screeching sound. i took my starter out and went and bought a brand new one and installed it (and yes i installed it the correct way) but then when i started my car it made the same noise even when i was driving down the road. so i said **** that returned the new starter and re-installed my old one. and when i had my original starter out of my car i had it tested and it passed. also another weird thing is when my car is running and i push the ignition over it does not make the screeching sound that is usally makes, and once or twice when i try to start my car is would not start. the only thing that was suggested to me is maybe the wires are shorting out some where. thanks for any help
Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why does my prelude make a screeching sound when i start it?

Define screeching.

Have you check to see if your belts are tight? When I think of start-up "screech" it's usually your alternator or ps belt tension is loose.

If you're talking about the starter grind then it is directly related to the starter. However, since you said changing your starter did not fix the problem, I am thinking it's not starter grind noise.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Mine did the same thing for a lil' while. It turned out I just needed to tighten my belts. Is it a really high pitched squeal right after you crank it?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your power steering pump, add power steering fluid or tighten the belt.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a car make a terrible screeching noise due to the starter not being shimmed properly. I had replaced the starter and a couple really thin (like beer can aluminum) gasket thingies fell out. I didn't think those little slivers would make any difference on the starter.

Try adding some shims. You can make spacer out of aluminum can metal if you don't have anything else on hand.

In your case, maybe the pinion gear is binding and not retracting from the starter ring gear on the engine.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it has nothing to do with the belts or the alternator the noise is coming DIRECTLY from the starter ya maybe it sounds more like a grinding noise than a screetching but i didnt say anything about the belts,they do not make noise when i start it, it is the STARTER making the noise. and it makes it the second i turn the ignition over, and there is no gaskets where my starter connects into the tranny. not even from the factory. i know hondas belts are famous for screeching and if that was the problem i would know, the belts are on the right side of the motor and the starter is on the left side, and know i can not even start my car, when i try and start it sounds like im trying to start it when the car is already started, if you want to know exactly what sound my car is making go out to your car start it and while its running try and start it again, thats EXACTLY the sound it makes right now, nothing to do with the belts so please can i get some real help
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by khronicboy420
it has nothing to do with the belts or the alternator the noise is coming DIRECTLY from the starter ya maybe it sounds more like a grinding noise than a screetching but i didnt say anything about the belts,they do not make noise when i start it, it is the STARTER making the noise. and it makes it the second i turn the ignition over, and there is no gaskets where my starter connects into the tranny. not even from the factory. i know hondas belts are famous for screeching and if that was the problem i would know, the belts are on the right side of the motor and the starter is on the left side, and know i can not even start my car, when i try and start it sounds like im trying to start it when the car is already started, if you want to know exactly what sound my car is making go out to your car start it and while its running try and start it again, thats EXACTLY the sound it makes right now, nothing to do with the belts so please can i get some real help
Seriously go tighten your alternator belt. Sometimes you think you know where a sound is coming from but yet you really dont. I had the same noise on exact car 99 type sh and I tightened both belts never heard it again.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:17 PM

have someone put a test light on the SMALL wire on the starter and the other end to ground, crank the starter over, the test light should come on as the exact time the ign switch is turned to "start" and the light should turn off exactly when the key is released to the "run" position, if it stays on ANY longer in the "run" position there is an electrical problem

if you have a remote starter, un plug the power fuse and see if the problem goes away.

also did you inspect your flywheel/flexplate for missing teeth, or damage?

otherwise its a internal starter problem

Last edited by h23prelude; 02-22-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 99 prelude type sh. the other day it started making a weird sound when i start it. the sound it makes is like when your car is already running and then you turn the ignition over and it makes that screeching sound. i took my starter out and went and bought a brand new one and installed it (and yes i installed it the correct way) but then when i started my car it made the same noise even when i was driving down the road. so i said **** that returned the new starter and re-installed my old one. and when i had my original starter out of my car i had it tested and it passed. also another weird thing is when my car is running and i push the ignition over it does not make the screeching sound that is usally makes, and once or twice when i try to start my car is would not start. the only thing that was suggested to me is maybe the wires are shorting out some where. thanks for any help
If its not the wires then there is something wrong with your ignition cylinder. It might be going bad. Or you might have a bad ground some where. Check everything that has to do with the ignition system. Look close at anything that don't seem right to you. If you can fix it or clean it or do whatever to get it in working condition.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input i will try all those things and my belts are all tight and what do you know still makes the noise so please get off the fact you think its the alternator or any other belt I KNOW IT HAS TO DO WITH THE STARTER but thanks for the good advice
Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the alternator.

But really, where did you take the starter to get tested? Autozone, Pep Boys, etc? Forget about those places, go to a local generator/starter/electrical shop and have them look at it. It may not be sliding back into place after it cranks or there could be some other internal problem....hard to say for sure.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a new starter and it did the same thing had it tested at shucks and autozone and it passed the car will start some time and some times it will not it makes a grinding sound every time i try 2 start it
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a new starter and it did the same thing had it tested at shucks and autozone and it passed the car will start some time and some times it will not it makes a grinding sound every time i try 2 start it
Right...that was what I thought. Did you read my post?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i second the powersteering pump and alternator. does it start screeching when you accelerate? had the same problem with the accord
Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right what....ya i read it igot a NEW one and it did the same THING and its not aSCREECHING SOUND ITS A GRINDING IT NOT ALTERATOR OR POWERSTEERING PUMP SO IF YOU THINK IT THAT DONT RIGHT ME BACK THOES THINGS ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE MOTOR AND ITS COMING FOR THE LEFT SIDE RIGHT WHERE THE STARTER IS AND THE TRANNY IS GOD............................ GO START YOU CAR WHEN ITS RUNING THATS THE GRINDING SOUND IT MAKES DOSE THAT SOUND LIKE YOU STILL THINKE IT THE ALTERNATOR OR POWERSTEERING PUMP NO ....THATS WHAT I THOUGHT........................................... .................................................. ..................DAM SORRY FOR BEEN A DIC* BUT THIS IS NOT HELPING ME AT ALL..............................................
Old 02-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And no it dose not screech when i accelerate.it makes a grinding sound when it starts it or trys two. No screeching sound
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks two you people that helped me a little thanks ill get a test light and try that (h23prelude) (projec ctr16) (duanes)
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone help me out please other then its your belts
Old 02-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of cluch and flywheel is the best to get for a99 prelude sh and flexplate
Old 02-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should get a video/sound clip for us to help you further
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way, manual transmissions do not have flexplates.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i should have just done that in the first place, my mistake i will get a video/sound clip and post it today
Old 01-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump my eg doing the same **** i pm u let me know if u figure that oout
Old 01-29-2011, 01:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it sounds like ur ignition cylinder isn't coming back from the start position and ur starter is staying on while the car is running.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My sh does the same thing, now for about a year. runs great. It started to do it once i replace my clutch and fywheel at home.

Quick Reply: why does my prelude make a screeching sound when i start it?