Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Weird P/S belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Weird P/S belt problem

So, I have a new issue with my 91 Prelude Si 4ws B21A1. The P/S belt/ tensioner keeps coming loose. The first time it happened I took the tensioner apart and found a ridge on the part of the bracket that the pulley adjuster bolt slides back and forth on. I believe that the adjuster got hung up and stuck on the ridge and I thought that it was in the right place because it didn't move at all. Well, it moved and all of a sudden I had no P/S and some really bad sounds because the belt was so loose I'm surprised that nothing was damaged.
When I pulled the tensioner to check it out I filed the ridge smooth, so that the bolt slid smoothly, like it's supposed to, reinstalled it and everything was fine.
Fast forward to today when I start the car to drive home from work. I hear funky P/S noises so I pop the hood and whattaya know, The belt is almost as loose as it was the first time. I tightened the belt and drove home with no problems.
Has anyone seen this before or have any idea why this is happening? I know I reassembled and installed it correctly and I can't figure out why it's loosening like this.
Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. I need to take care of this because the last thing I need is to lose my P/S going around a ramp at 50+ MPH
Old 06-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Re: Weird P/S belt problem

Are you missing the adjuster bolt?
Old 06-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If by adjuster bolt you mean the bolt that you turn to move the tensioner pulley in or out, then no, I am not missing the bolt. I, personally, have done the head gasket, timing belt and pretty much every pump, reservoir, hose and belt on this car, so I know I'm not missing anything that should be there.That's why I cant figure out why the belt keeps loosening up. Maybe the adjuster bolt or bracket threads are toast. That's my next thing to check.
But anyway, thank you for the response. I do appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If by adjuster bolt you mean the bolt that you turn to move the tensioner pulley in or out, then no, I am not missing the bolt. I, personally, have done the head gasket, timing belt and pretty much every pump, reservoir, hose and belt on this car, so I know I'm not missing anything that should be there.That's why I cant figure out why the belt keeps loosening up. Maybe the adjuster bolt or bracket threads are toast. That's my next thing to check.
But anyway, thank you for the response. I do appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts

Adjust the belt to desired tension, lock down the pump bolts. Then add a bit more torque to the adjuster bolt to lock it in place.