Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Vibrant Performance timing belt tensioner without power steering relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vibrant Performance timing belt tensioner without power steering relocation

Originally Posted by su8854
all you people just read on honda tech or on google and **** bout products
all you people think you know the **** just because you have nothing to do in your life but to read about what people say
then you base your review on that. lmao i hope your motor pops lmfao get some first hand exp b4 you put a comment like that idiot. oh and btw this tensioner increases overall timing and is amazing to tune a car with
can you explain further? I'm not quite sure that I understand. So this tensioner advances timing and helps with the engine tuning? If so, can I cut out the expensive hondata upgrade and just get this?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Vibrant Performance timing belt tensioner without power steering relocation

Originally Posted by dagle
can you explain further? I'm not quite sure that I understand. So this tensioner advances timing and helps with the engine tuning? If so, can I cut out the expensive hondata upgrade and just get this?

id also like to know this...lol

btw if this advances my timing should i retard my cam gears?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

blah blah blah this is what i did to make it work with an H23 without relocating the ps...

cut this part because it would hit the ex. cam gear

also cut part of the bottom and drilled a hole for the adjusting screw

made a spacer

and cut this screw because it hits the head

you will need two longer top mounting bolts. Can use the stock bottom bolt with a spacer...

Last edited by 92bluepreludeSi; 03-01-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are so good at explaining yourself...thanks for the info
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ilikehonda
you are so good at explaining yourself...thanks for the info
doesnt take a genius to do this besides the pictures speak for themselves... or do you want me to hold all of your hands? if you get the vibrant tensioner take your damn ps bracket off and compare it to mine and boom! Pretty much all you want to do is take as off the thickness of the tensioner off of the ps bracket.

anyways this helped a lot. Before, there was so much slap that it would negatively effect the way the car idled/ran. It just never sounded smooth. Once I got the Vibrant tensioner on the car smoothed out significantly across the power band. Eliminating the slack on the exhaust side, in my opinion, helps negate the chance that minor changes in timing will occur, and practically eliminates the chance that the slack will cause a jump of one tooth.

I don't know about the tensioner advancing timing, but it will help keep your timing settings constant as there will be less unintended timing belt movement. The tensioner is not pressing extremely hard on the belt. It's basically touching the belt, and then adjusted slightly to prevent deflection or slap that may occur throughout the RPM range, especially with the cam and valvetrain combo I'm running.

Last edited by 92bluepreludeSi; 03-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im a tard. Mind explaining how your cams and valvetrain are creating that extra slack in your timing belt as opposed to Stock cams/train??? This same tensioner work on h22s? Or is it h23 only and they make a diff. for h22s? Or is there not one for h22s perhaps?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92bluepreludeSi
doesnt take a genius to do this besides the pictures speak for themselves... or do you want me to hold all of your hands? if you get the vibrant tensioner take your damn ps bracket off and compare it to mine and boom! Pretty much all you want to do is take as off the thickness of the tensioner off of the ps bracket.

anyways this helped a lot. Before, there was so much slap that it would negatively effect the way the car idled/ran. It just never sounded smooth. Once I got the Vibrant tensioner on the car smoothed out significantly across the power band. Eliminating the slack on the exhaust side, in my opinion, helps negate the chance that minor changes in timing will occur, and practically eliminates the chance that the slack will cause a jump of one tooth.

I don't know about the tensioner advancing timing, but it will help keep your timing settings constant as there will be less unintended timing belt movement. The tensioner is not pressing extremely hard on the belt. It's basically touching the belt, and then adjusted slightly to prevent deflection or slap that may occur throughout the RPM range, especially with the cam and valvetrain combo I'm running.

lolz @ you
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ludeon19slol
Im a tard. Mind explaining how your cams and valvetrain are creating that extra slack in your timing belt as opposed to Stock cams/train??? This same tensioner work on h22s? Or is it h23 only and they make a diff. for h22s? Or is there not one for h22s perhaps?
He never said the cams and valve train were creating the extra slack. The long span between the crank gear and the exhaust cam is causing the slap. I've seen the car in person. With the aggressive duration of the cams he's running it is much more noticable when slight timing issues occur. With the stock cams, stock rev range, and stock computer I'm sure that long span that allows so much slap to occur does not have as much effect, and the computer can adjust for those minor variations in timing. With the aggressive cams he's running, however, a slight change in timing caused by a slack belt becomes very noticable.

It is true that the intake side carries the primary tension, and this side is vary solid in its setting and the intake cam is much less likely to slip. The exhaust side, however, has sever belt slap do to the untensioned span the belt must travel between the crank gear and the cam gear. The degree of slap, in my opinion, could cause slight belt stretching as it deflects to various degrees. This item may not "Change" anything on the car, but will help prevent the settings that are applied to remain constant. It's not going to make the car faster, as in "newly found" power. It may, however, restore some power lost to timing issues.

When adjusting his car we tried several different routes and reset timing several times. It would hold for some time, but after a while it would definitely become noticable that there was a slight variation in timing. In that light, it was extremely noticable how much this tensioner improved the timing issue.

This is the same tensioner for all H-series engines.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lolz @ you
what are you 12 years old? what are you doing in my thread besides being a retarded troll. Either leave or provide some useful information.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GTSRolla34
He never said the cams and valve train were creating the extra slack. The long span between the crank gear and the exhaust cam is causing the slap. I've seen the car in person. With the aggressive duration of the cams he's running it is much more noticable when slight timing issues occur. With the stock cams, stock rev range, and stock computer I'm sure that long span that allows so much slap to occur does not have as much effect, and the computer can adjust for those minor variations in timing. With the aggressive cams he's running, however, a slight change in timing caused by a slack belt becomes very noticable.

It is true that the intake side carries the primary tension, and this side is vary solid in its setting and the intake cam is much less likely to slip. The exhaust side, however, has sever belt slap do to the untensioned span the belt must travel between the crank gear and the cam gear. The degree of slap, in my opinion, could cause slight belt stretching as it deflects to various degrees. This item may not "Change" anything on the car, but will help prevent the settings that are applied to remain constant. It's not going to make the car faster, as in "newly found" power. It may, however, restore some power lost to timing issues.

When adjusting his car we tried several different routes and reset timing several times. It would hold for some time, but after a while it would definitely become noticable that there was a slight variation in timing. In that light, it was extremely noticable how much this tensioner improved the timing issue.

This is the same tensioner for all H-series engines.
i can vouch that he has seen my engine and how it acted before i put the tensioner on.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92bluepreludeSi
what are you 12 years old? what are you doing in my thread besides being a retarded troll. Either leave or provide some useful information.
i asked you to provide the info and you could not. i want you to explain to me how a tensioner advances your timing!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i ever buy one (which i wont) will i need to set my cam gears back?

if your car cant idle worth a crap on those cams your tuner blows. imo you just wasted a bunch of time and money on something you dont need especially since you are probably not making that much power.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i asked you to provide the info and you could not. i want you to explain to me how a tensioner advances your timing!!!!!!!!!!!!

if your car cant idle worth a crap on those cams your tuner blows. imo you just wasted a bunch of time and money on something you dont need especially since you are probably not making that much power.
First I never said that this thing advances "your" timing it was the countless "honda gurus" that run crazy through these forums.

Second my idle is not crap with these cams it just has a lumpy sound. Watch the video in OP!!!!!!

Third right after i put the cams in i went to a dyno day and had the owner tune my AFC(only tuning product i had in the car except for a chipped ecu and a base map) he was able to get 163 hp out of it just with the afc. I know the afc is a pos so i took it out and now use crome pro to tune the car myself. Im sure im running a lot more hp now without the afc.

Fourth why would i answer your question if your not going to get it in the first place?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes absolutely no sense. To answer your question, NO...since you won't buy one you will not have to set your cam gears back or make any adjustment at all. Problem solved, thank you for playing.

oh and here is a link to my double stack intake manifold project i did... watch the first video to get an idea of how my car idles.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/another-diy-double-stack-intake-manifold-2536968/

Last edited by 92bluepreludeSi; 03-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You did not ask anyone in particular, initially, and your post followed one that was more facetious than serious. So how were we supposed to take your comment. As one of jesting or one of serious interest.

No where in any explanation did anyone say that the car idled like crap, nor did we blame anything on an adverse effect caused by cam or valve-train components. That was in incorrect inference on your part just to strengthen your criticism of the situation. If you've never experienced this particular car with these particular mods than don't assume you know the circumstances we were experiencing.

The belt slap was horrendous at idle, regardless of how spot on the timing belt tensioning sequence was followed, and I can only imagine how bad it got in upper rpms when that thing gets to rotating at full speed. 92bluelude never said it advanced timing. Only one person made that statement, so 92bl didn't have anything to explain to you. You should have taken your inquiry to the poster of that comment and asked him for proof, not chastise others for comments they didn't make.

Like 92bl also said, he got the tensioner for free, so as for your waste of money comment, you're, unfortunately, incorrect again. He wasted no money. The product fixed what I considered to be a problem with his engine and we have had no adverse effect to prove otherwise.

This tensioner, by the way, is not designed to increase tension on the belt. In the instructions Vibrant clearly states that the tensioner should only be resting on the belt, not applying any kind of significant tension. Just enough pressure to prevent the belt from deflecting on that side. The angle of the photography is misleading, and for that I'll take responsibility b/c I took the photo. The belt is being pressed slightly, but not with any significant force that would cause premature belt failure or breakage.

For someone who has no intention of purchasing the item because it is a severe waste of money, you sure are hard pressed to break the ***** of anyone who does purchase it. Are you just trying to converse with people until they say something that proves their efforts invalid or are you waiting for them to say something that proves the part is, as you've stated, a complete waste of time and money?

We worked on a lot of different things to get his car running smoothly and there was always a slight error in cam timing, regardless of how correctly the belt was set. We chalked this up to the deflection and possible stretching of the belt under severe load that would allow the cams to be slightly off from their preferred setting. After doing a lot of research on how timing belt slap and deflection can negatively effect cam timing we installed this part. Much to our satisfaction the product solved the "SLIGHT" problem, I emphasize slight b/c I don't want you to misconstrue the point as being severe/crappy or any other adjective that I neither intended, nor used. So, in our "PERSONAL" experience, we did need this product to rectify a "SLIGHT" problem that could have been gone unchecked with only minor noticeable drawbacks. But why not fix a problem if its easily done.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its obd2.... ignition timing will change, if your running standalone then it will need a tune to get more
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ignition timing should not change, because you're not changing the alignment of the cams (unless you put so much tension on the belt that you pulled the cams out of alignment. The Vibrant tensioner is only supposed to rest on the belt. It doesn't interfere with anything other than acting like a stopper to prevent severe belt slap which could/may already be causing cam timing issues. The tensioner itself will not effect ignition timing. Either your cams are slightly off or you tensioned the hell out of the belt. Supporting the belt should, in theory, cause no effect in ignition timing at all. If you had ignition timing issues on stock cam gears, check the timing marks. If you had issues with aftermarket cam gears, check your cam degree'ing to ensure you didn't have an adjustment slip.

If installed correctly, this shouldn't "CHANGE" anything. It will only prevent things from occurring, or cease them from occurring.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by su8854
its obd2.... ignition timing will change, if your running standalone then it will need a tune to get more
um ok...

Last edited by 92bluepreludeSi; 03-02-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dumb *** people are exactly why i stay on nwp4life. but yes this product does work Endyn also makes the same thing. the aftermarket belt tensioners are ment to
"eliminate the timing belt whip associated with tall-deck engine combinations as well as those running camshafts with high-rate opening and closing ramps. When contacting the outside of the timing belt on the engine's exhaust-side, the belt deflection both between and after the timing gears is eliminated, dramatically reducing the chances of belt slippage. This device also allows one to set cam belt tension using the method (suggested by Honda) rather than the "screw-driver" technique that tightens the belt to the extent that there's no oil clearance, which typically ends up galling the front cam bearing journals in the head." -Endyn i have one on my engine, id rather spend the cash now then replacing my supertech vavletrain or scoring my cams

its not anything except a cheap insurance to not bend your expensive vavletrain or galling the bearings, 96% of ht now probibly doesnt know what anyof that ment, too consernd with illest stickers and hearting haters.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by peasoupe
dumb *** people are exactly why i stay on nwp4life. but yes this product does work Endyn also makes the same thing. the aftermarket belt tensioners are ment to
"eliminate the timing belt whip associated with tall-deck engine combinations as well as those running camshafts with high-rate opening and closing ramps. When contacting the outside of the timing belt on the engine's exhaust-side, the belt deflection both between and after the timing gears is eliminated, dramatically reducing the chances of belt slippage. This device also allows one to set cam belt tension using the method (suggested by Honda) rather than the "screw-driver" technique that tightens the belt to the extent that there's no oil clearance, which typically ends up galling the front cam bearing journals in the head." -Endyn i have one on my engine, id rather spend the cash now then replacing my supertech vavletrain or scoring my cams

its not anything except a cheap insurance to not bend your expensive vavletrain or galling the bearings, 96% of ht now probibly doesnt know what anyof that ment, too consernd with illest stickers and hearting haters.
great post bro... cant stand these people that come on here and start **** rather than providing good information. The sole purpose of my post was to show that you can use the vibrant tensioner without relocating the ps. Its all about the hids, roof racks, and stickers here on honda tech. Maybe a handful of you ht member can respect my diy projects rather than diss the crap out of them.

My hats off to you sir peasoupe!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by peasoupe
LMAO!!

Any input on endyne vs vibrant? I'm in the market...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These tensioners are a great idea on built motors. Its plain as day to see it happen when you run with the timing cover off and when it happens ignition timing and cam/crank timing can become slightly erratic. If you are running a built motor with minimal piston to valve clearance or minimal valve to valve clearance it is imperative that your timing doesnt get sloppy.

If you install it so that its just touching you won't need to adjust your timing, but if you install it with some preload on the belt then you are also advancing your cam gears by doing that so they would need dialed back and it would be a good idea to degree the whole setup with the tensioner installed, especially on a built motor.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still running strong since i put it on without any problems.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haven't posted here in awhile. Car is running great with the vibrant tensioner. No engine problems at all. Love my honda. some day i will get it dynoed.... after i put my spare block together with JDM h22 pistons on h23 rods.