Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Things to think about when pulling motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to think about when pulling motor

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but with all the questions I've seen regarding "Where does this go" in the process of reinstalling a motor, I thought I would start a thread where people could read and add to with experiences on pulling and reinstalling a motor.

I know many of you have done this a thousand times, and know it like the back of your hand, but a little helpful insight to the first timers, which I was only a few months back, would be helpful.

Here we go:
1. Do the research before even starting. Know what you intend on getting out of it before you attempt a motor replacement. Knowledge is bliss.
2. Get a Manual! This is probably more important when it comes to re-installing, because you have all the torque specs needed.
3. Label Everything if your not sure. I've seen too many "Where does this go" once the motor is going back in, and if you had labeled them, you would know.
4. Have plenty of ratchet extensions, lots of things are not out in the open.

Short starting list, but I gotta go now.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Things to think about when pulling motor (94vtecmn)

- Put each section in its own box with all the bolts and brakets. Eg, head box, manifold box, accessories box, etc. Also, try threading the bolts and nuts back in place so that theres no question.

- Cut off the bottom half of an oil container to hold parts while you're assembling or disassebling. Clear aviation spark plug packs are nice too. Mechanics put a single cut in it, feed some safety wire through one of the sealed ends, and then hang it where evey they need.

- If its a long term project, make check lists. You can have a list of stuff that needs to be done per system or per area of car if its body work. Its also nice to have a small section for a list of parts you need.

- IMO, its better to go per system. That way if you're away from that project for any amout of time, you won't have to retrace your steps to see where you left off.

Good post
Old 08-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take alot of pictures. It will help to just see where item went.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:46 AM
space cadet

Default Re: (judonoh)

have a seperate baggie or container for each set of bolts, washers etc. catagorize and mark them so that you do not end up losing parts and have to wait on one friggin bolt.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:36 AM

detail your engine before hand and clean it up as best as possible. I didn't and it can be a pain dealing with all the gunk.