Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Is There a SIGNAL the ECU puts out which tells you what GEAR you're in ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is There a SIGNAL the ECU puts out which tells you what GEAR you're in ???

I'm interested to know if the ECU on Honda Ecu's or Prelude's specifically have an output signal to tell the car what gear you're in in a manual transmission.... or perhaps an input signal?
I've noticed on Hondata Logger's there is a display for the gear you're currently in... so there must be some signal that I could tap into.
If there is... how would this vary? Would the resistance or current or something else vary for each different gear you were in??
I'm thinking of making a seq.style gear selection display.
Any idea if this would be the same case for Nissan's? would it be a similar process? Hopefully getting hold of a R33 GTS-T Skyline over the summer.

Any thoughts guys?
Cheers!

Laurence
Old 04-27-2004, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Is There a SIGNAL the ECU puts out which tells you what GEAR you're in ??? (Laurence)

Not to my knowledge, no. The ECU doesn't care which gear you are in; the fuel and spark maps are the same for speed and load regardless of gearing.

For an automatic ECU, it communicates with the TCU. I beileve that it does know, based on signals it gets from the TCU.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is There a SIGNAL the ECU puts out which tells you what GEAR you're in ??? (Laurence)

I don't know Hondata does it?....but I'm sure you can make a setup with the clutch and a sensor. Just add the sensor behind it the clutch pedal, and each time the clutch is pressed down, it'll trigger your "display" to show the next gear. It'll only work for going up through the gears, since it won't be able to differentiate between downshifts or upshifts?

Or how about engineering something by your shifter? Each "gate position" could have a sensor, which would then tell you which gear you're in.

But then again, if you don't know what gear you're in...then you shouldn't be driving a manual in the first place.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:10 AM

MAN I THINK ITS A REALLY COOL IDEA, HES ACTUALLY NOT MAKING IT BECAUSE HE NEDDS IT, JUST FOR THE LOKS AND THEY WOULD BE REALLY COOL.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:12 AM

I MENT TO WRITE LOOKS,

ANY WAY I THINK THE WAY TO GO IS USING THE LEVER AND SEVERAL SENSORS.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

I'm sure Hondata has a display for gear selection. Have a look at the demo Datalogger download at the Hondata website.

"Finest", I did think of a gate that fitted around the shifter column fitted with different micro-switches, but would be too combersome I feel and we're looking to develop a universal kit.

My intentions were not to just use this on my honda, but to develop a prototype and pitch to a few styling companies as an aesthetic item, purely for show purposes but also in conjunction with the development of sequential shifter kits being developed by a company in Japan ( up and down sequential shifts but still use the clutch ).

I've been in discussions with a Hobby programmer who is developing the chip to control the LED display.

I've got a few more fun ideas that could sell as cheap styling parts and also functional security equipment.

Cheers for the input but would like to know how hondata is determining the gear you're in from the ECU....
Old 04-30-2004, 03:29 PM

Hondata does it by using the VSS sensor output combined with engine RPM.