Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Swapping VTEC H22a into 93 Prelude Si (non-vtec)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping VTEC H22a into 93 Prelude Si (non-vtec)

Hey guys, i've never swapped a motor before but i don't have the cash to pay someone to do it and i'd love to try it myself. What's everything i need to swap out my non-vtec H23a1 in my 93 prelude si with a vtec h22a from a 95 prelude?

Was going to use this guide to help but i'm just making sure everything on there is right. -
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t211...h22a_swap.html

This is what i think i need (correct me if im wrong) -

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=IGNITION+COIL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P28-P72-P13-...47aa97&vxp=mtr

Getting the motor from a friend for $500, and he says it needs a new timing belt, water pump, and oil pump (he took the old oil pump for the new motor he put in his car). He said it comes with a fuel rail, headers, and intake manifold.

Here's a pic of it -
Name:  QxlTg.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  99.1 KB

So are these the right ones i will need? -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Prelud...0ddb75&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-01-HONDA-...7496a6&vxp=mtr

....and in the guide i posted above it says to replace the clutch and flywheel while its out, i know its not needed but i might do it if i have the extra cash. Is this a decent choice? -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-RACING-S...e9c48f&vxp=mtr

It says the h22 should bolt right up since the engine bay is the same design, will i need anything else AT ALL? Even if it is something minor, i need to add the price up before i order everything. Please don't come on here to complain, i just need some help.

Thanks a lot,
Cody
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapping VTEC H22a into 93 Prelude Si (non-vtec)

what are you doing with your old motor?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thts still a hell of a deal,
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your research first before asking people what is involved.

Once you have read everything on this subject you should be able to do it yourself. Assuming you have all the proper tools for seized bolts and hard to reach areas.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much boost was he running on the motor. Are the internals stock? The pic you have posted has a turbo manifold on it... I'd do a full leak down check before getting it ready to put in. And as far as the install, it's pretty straight forward; remove old, install new in reverse order. I know for a fact 92s aren't prewired for vtec (2wires) but I believe the 93-96 are. Someone want to correct me?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Trial User

man thats a very good deal!!! I did a h22a swap in my 91 accord it was pretty much straight forward swap except for my wiring my motor was obd2 and the cb7 was obd1 so i had to change the plugs on my harness took me a good 2 days!!! good luck it will be worth it in the end!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The swap into a 93 should be pretty easy, I did mine years and years ago in my garage with a pretty basic tool selection.

Definitely the best time for a clutch and flywheel. Also do the rear main seal while you have easy access.

The wiring should not be bad, my 93 was pre-wired, the green/ yellow wire was right there easy to see, but the light blue was a bit tricky, as it was taped up with one of the big harness plugs. If you run into a snag on that, I can send pictures of where it was on my car.

As stated above, make sure that engine is in good shape if it had been boosted for awhile!
Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why did he take it out and put in a new motor?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luder23
what are you doing with your old motor?
not sure, scrapping it unless someone else has a better idea? the oil pump went out while i was driving on the highway and it seized up. the inside of the motor is probably all fucked up.

Originally Posted by 1funryd
Do your research first before asking people what is involved.
I did, i figured it would help if i asked around on forums for my specific situation instead of going on random websites looking at other peoples questions. Now i can just ask my own questions.

Originally Posted by yroachy
How much boost was he running on the motor. Are the internals stock? The pic you have posted has a turbo manifold on it... I'd do a full leak down check before getting it ready to put in. And as far as the install, it's pretty straight forward; remove old, install new in reverse order. I know for a fact 92s aren't prewired for vtec (2wires) but I believe the 93-96 are. Someone want to correct me?
Wow i didn't even think to look at the headers -_-
Are you 100% sure that's for a turbo? Don't call me an idiot for asking :3

And ill be sure to do the leak down check, is it easy to do? Like could i do it right there before i buy it?

Originally Posted by snobordboy
The swap into a 93 should be pretty easy, I did mine years and years ago in my garage with a pretty basic tool selection.

Definitely the best time for a clutch and flywheel. Also do the rear main seal while you have easy access.

The wiring should not be bad, my 93 was pre-wired, the green/ yellow wire was right there easy to see, but the light blue was a bit tricky, as it was taped up with one of the big harness plugs. If you run into a snag on that, I can send pictures of where it was on my car.

As stated above, make sure that engine is in good shape if it had been boosted for awhile!
yea i figured i would do the clutch while its easy to get to. The rear main seal is only $20 so i guess i mind as well just do it.
Yea could you send me some pics? And maybe a pic of your actual car / motor? Thanks man.

Originally Posted by 98vtec
why did he take it out and put in a new motor?
Not sure, but i'll definitely ask. He said it needs a new oil pump, timing kit, and water pump! He said something about it being his girlfriends car and she needed to keep the oil pump for her new engine? It just seems weird that it needs all 3 of those
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=blunts4jcody;48230014]not sure, scrapping it unless someone else has a better idea? the oil pump went out while i was driving on the highway and it seized up. the inside of the motor is probably all fucked up.

well pm me if u wanna sell any parts off of it before u scrap it. i need an egr vacuum solenoid. and maybe a couple of others nothing internal though..
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=luder23;48236395]
Originally Posted by blunts4jcody
not sure, scrapping it unless someone else has a better idea? the oil pump went out while i was driving on the highway and it seized up. the inside of the motor is probably all fucked up.

well pm me if u wanna sell any parts off of it before u scrap it. i need an egr vacuum solenoid. and maybe a couple of others nothing internal though..
i got you. just let me know what you need
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The egr vacuum solenoid is on the car, not the engine.
To do a leak down test, you need a leak down tester and an air compressor. Check each cylinder when it's Tdc. Listen for air coming from the coolant outlets, and air coming out of the crankcase (oil fill, pcv).
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well hmu blunts4jcody if u still wanna sell that egr solenoid
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice man I'm tryin to do the same I got a 94 si I'm doing a h22 swap and just got my Ecu and just need engine harness and the actuall motor lol but just reading this actually helps a lot can't wait to see how it turns out!!!