Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Suspension Techniques Sway bars (92-96)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Suspension Techniques Sway bars (92-96)

So i have been looking to upgrade my sway bars for quiet sometime. I have heard this is one of the easiest ways to improve your suspension other than coilovers, springs, or shocks. I can't find any other brands that make them for a 4th gen so i figured i would ask before i buy.

Some feedback would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Techniques Sway bars (Prudz_lude)

Also, what is the stock size of the front and rear sway bar?

http://www.modacar.com/product....html
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You haven't heard of the Progress rear sway bar?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Techniques Sway bars (Hawkze_2.3)

I have but i thought that was just for 5th gens. How much is it and how well does it perform over stock? Where can i get one from? Also is it just the rear? not the front?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy fack!!! i just found them. Front and rear for $200. $70 cheaper. They are 27mm which seems pretty nice. How thick are the suspension techniques?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prudz_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have but i thought that was just for 5th gens. How much is it and how well does it perform over stock? Where can i get one from? Also is it just the rear? not the front? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had the Progress rear bar on my 4th gen for some time now...it is quite nice. I don't know if they have a front.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to buy a set tomorrow. I found a site selling front and rears. Apparently there are two
Old 05-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

care to post that website

edit: im stupid i didnt realize what link you posted lol
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Techniques Sway bars (218luder)

i posted the st sway bar. Its desapointing to me because it actually is only the rear sway bar. here is the link

https://www.matrixracing.com/p....aspx

Modified by Prudz_lude at 9:36 AM 5/30/2008
Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, i got of the phone with modacar and the suspension technique sway bars are both 25mm for $270. Includes hardware, endlinks, bushings, and 2 bars. For just the front endlinks, bushings, hardware, and front sway it is $160. Should i just buy the front and the spend another $200 for the progress rear sway which is a 27mm?

I need the opinions of some who have actually used just the rear. What are your opinions? Buy only the front, buy the front and rear, buy the front and rear but have the front suspension tech and the rear progress?

The bushins on my front sway blew out the other day so it is so floaty in the front end. I have been meaning to do this upgrade for a while i guess this is the perfect opportunity.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:10 AM

i got an addco. its nice...didnt notice too much of a difference from stock...the first thing i noticed was that the back end kicks out much more easily. but in general it feels like it handles very nicely altogether.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prudz_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need the opinions of some who have actually used just the rear. What are your opinions? Buy only the front, buy the front and rear, buy the front and rear but have the front suspension tech and the rear progress?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would just get the Progress rear and leave the front alone...maybe just get some Prothane endlink bushings and leave it at that. I have a Progress rear bar and no front bar and it feels good to me.

Though, with the clearance issues you will most likely want to make some custom endlinks for the rear.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

got a picture of how you did your custom endlinks? Also, where can i get some prothane endlink bushins?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prudz_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got a picture of how you did your custom endlinks? Also, where can i get some prothane endlink bushins?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got a thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1474587

The pics are down because of crappy we-todd, but I will try to get them up soon.

I got my Prothane bushings from prostreetonline.com.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good. I went to that bushing site and they don't say honda anywhere. What did you use? Nissan bushings?

Edit* So progress does make endlinks that work meaning i don't even have to make custom ones? Boo yah
Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the progress bar solid or hollow?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension Techniques Sway bars (Televator)

it would be pretty pointless to make hollow sway bars. They would fold in your hands lol.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do realize that the OEM sway bars are hollow (i.e. tubular), right? If you can make a tubular sway bar, that's by far the better choice as a tubular bar will be much lighter for the same stiffness, although a tubular bar will need to be a little larger OD.

The ST and Progress bars I've owned are solid, and VERY heavy.

The Tanabe front bar I run is tubular.

My ST bar set did NOT come with end links. Just the bars with bushings and mounting brackets for the bushing. You reuse the OEM end links and rear bar mounting brackets. The Progress bar I purchased included the bar, bushings, bushing brackets, and sway bar mounting brackets.

Currently I run a Tanabe 30.4mm tubular front bar (just a tad heavier than OEM), and I run a custom 3 piece tubular 1.25" rear bar. Adjustable end links are used on both bars. This is on a 5Gen, but the 4Gen is very similiar. In fact the 4Gen uses the same rear bar, but the front bars ARE different!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (117)

Really, i had no clue. I would think that a hollow tube could fold like a lawn chair. Guess i am wrong.

The guy on the phone assured me that the ST did come with bushings, hardware, and endlinks. Even in the picture it shows endlinks (at least it looks like it on the front)

Who made the custom 1.25 bar if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Prudz_lude)

OE sways ftw. Just replace your bushings and endlinks, the big bars are fun but tad to be a lil over much for the street. Noisy bushings and endlinks that break. I had the progress ones when they still made them.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I fabricated the rear bar and mounts. I also fabricated the end links for front and rear. The rear bar isn't cheap. I could easily buy both the ST bar set and the Progress bar for the cost of just the parts for the 1.25 bar. However, it is much more adjustable since I can just change out the center section to change the stiffness of the bar.

Do you have a link to the picture of the ST bar set? My set did not come with any of that, but I bought the bars many, many years ago.

I had the ST bar set first, then the Progress with an OEM front, then my custom rear with the OEM front, and now my current setup. I like my current setup the best. The car does not lean excessively while cornering (however I do run fairly high spring rates and race shocks). I used to run quite a bit of negative camber in the front (-3 degrees), but I noticed quite a bit of inner tire wear at the last event. I'm going to try running less negative camber (probably around -2 degrees) to see if that helps the wear issue any without decreasing cornering grip. It'll also help the car brake a little better as well.

If I had the time/money, I'd get a pyrometer to take tire temps, but for now, that'll have to wait.

Why would a hollow tube collapse? If the material is too thin, sure, but there are tons of things made out of hollow tubing. My entire cage is made out of hollow tubing. Lawn chairs are typically made out of hollow tubing, so are more folding tables, etc.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prudz_lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks good. I went to that bushing site and they don't say honda anywhere. What did you use? Nissan bushings?

Edit* So progress does make endlinks that work meaning i don't even have to make custom ones? Boo yah </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know how you only found Nissan bushings, bet here they are:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/8-404.asp

The Progress endlinks are known to be very crappy, which is why so many people make their own.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

117 the link to modacar has the pictures of the ST sway bars. Thanks hawkze for the advise and the link. I think i need glasses, this crap has been happening way to much.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those pictures are not of the actual Prelude sway bars.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (117)

Thanks for that load of info 117.

Quick Reply: Suspension Techniques Sway bars (92-96)