Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Reliability of 5th gen Preludes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of 5th gen Preludes

Hello all,

Ive owned hondas including Integra GSR w/ no problems but ive been hearing that the preludes have more issues.

Im looking at an 00 type sh w/ about 100k miles. Is there anything significant i should look for? sorry for the broad question but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (noood)

Preludes are pretty reliable, just stay away from the automatic tip tronic trannys. I think the main concern with Preludes is their weak piston ringlands, which can cause the engine to burn oil. It's pretty minor though, and nothing to be worried about.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (dtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Preludes are pretty reliable, just stay away from the automatic tip tronic trannys. I think the main concern with Preludes is their weak piston ringlands, which can cause the engine to burn oil. It's pretty minor though, and nothing to be worried about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you go a little more in depth on this b/c the owner of the one im looking at says that it "consumes" oil between oil changes. I asked if it burns out the exhuast or drips she stated no it just consumes it... please elaborate on it and let me know if its something i should be weary about.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with milage like that check if the t belt/tensioner has been changed.. if not then change it,, which can cost a bit if u dont know how to do that type of thing.... besides that the car is great
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you go a little more in depth on this b/c the owner of the one im looking at says that it "consumes" oil between oil changes. I asked if it burns out the exhuast or drips she stated no it just consumes it... please elaborate on it and let me know if its something i should be weary about.

Thanks for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's anything like my Prelude, then it burns a small amount of oil and a quart or two needs to be added in between regular oil changes.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (dtec)

yea. I drive my 2000 base about 350 miles/week and NO motor problems..ever..it's at 78k right now..as for the oil, yea about a half quart/quart between oil changes is normal...for my prelude at least..
Old 07-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (OPTIMUS_PRelude)

"consume" oil? go for a test drive and warm up the car to make the viscosity of the oil thinner and see if theres obvious leaks. after that check compression (scored cylinder walls would cause oil loss right?) and ask for maintenance records and whatnot good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (dagle)

had both 4 gen and 5 gen prelude, sold my 5 gen prelude cuz im in love with a 4 gen
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (russlan44)

what does that have to do with the reliability of a 5th gen prelude? Your horrible decision making skills did nothing for the topic of this thread lol
Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (ProjectBB6)

my 5 gen, ate oil, even without hitting vtec i still had black smoke coming out of my muffler. just hated my car. i miss it do, had some good memories with it and inside of it.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (russlan44)

thats better ...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 PM

thats about right, about 2 quarts per oil change between 3k to 5k interval mileage

also depends on how you drive, I am chronically addicted to Vtec, But its not to bad and as for reliability I have 200k miles on my baby no major problems just the usual wear and tear parts. Recommendations, Oil change, belts and everything in between that I have forgotten, Oh yea I am automatic, and yes its a ticking time bomb. so manual FTW
Old 07-12-2007, 08:05 PM
RAB

I've beaten the sh*t out of my 98. Auto-x and 5 hard HPDEs over the course of 2.5 years of the six years that I've owned it. 120K miles and still on the original clutch, motor is strong, relocated the battery, no problems. Edit....Oh took the a/c out then put it backin. My Prelude has enjoyed its life.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 AM

Keep up with all the maintenance, check your oil, and don't keep the revs pinned at 7000+rpm everywhere you go - you'll be fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (m.online)

my car is tuned with a vafc2 and it still burns oil but not as much as before. i used to get a **** load of black soot on my rear bumper. now it's a lot less noticeable.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (businessmanph)

yea i own a 1997 Type-SH and its about 2 quarts between 3,000 miles. As for the smoke that comes out when hitting vtec, thats just running rich, burning fuel, typical for h22's. whenever i hit vtec, mine blows a cloud of dark smoke. i consider 5th gens very reliable.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 AM

um I think I win the category of burning oil .. 5 qts in 700 miles lol. My walls were scored needed an oil pump and needed to sleeve because OS pistons no longer worked. But honestly besides the oil burning, you will rarely get many problems with 5th gens. I still love my car to death I can't wait to get it back on the road. If you plan on modding man go for a base because ATTS is gone after 250whp. But I have an SH and in no way do i regret it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (shrirag)

Well now for my take.............
SH's suck due to the ATTS system.....
and its becoming more and more clear that 5th gens are not as reliable as 4th gens...........The 4th gen H22A1 is proving to be a better motor than the newer H22A4.
I wouldn't say that Preludes in general have more issues than Teggys.....
Prelude were more expensive new which may require a little more fixing as time goes on.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (:=:NirVTEC:=:)

Preludes are great cars. My car almost has 170k on the motor and I continue to drive it hard.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (Simple_Sauce)

I LOVE preludes. They all burn oil though. Mine was a automatic (the finance's choice), and I sold it because of the ticking time bomb with the autos. It was very reliable though, and very fast. It has a whole lot more fun factor than the Integra which I currently have as the replacement. I convinced my best friend to get the Prelude as well, and his is super reliable as well. Just normal stuff that happens with age, like radiator cracked, then A/C needed recharging.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (professorman)

Yeah, Im pretty much repeating what everyone says, I dont have a lude, I have a gsr, but two of my friends have 97's ones an SH with 40K original miles, it uses oil, the other has 180k, and it uses oil.... Its still perfect though, runs solid, they just seem to use oil.. Keep an eye on it, especially if ur gonna be hitting vtec alot, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (wegotmorrison)

The funny thing is the 2 JDM H22As that I run with Royal Purple synthetic "USE" barely any oil on the street. When I do a 125-150mi track day I may go through a 1/2qt tops. And yes......VTEC is a daily MUST!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (:=:NirVTEC:=:)

And on another note, you DO FEEL the VTEC in the Lude, unlike other Hondas. I hear people in the Teg forums discussing that it is poorly tuned if you feel the boost of the VTEC and it should be a smooth transition, but with the LUDE, you get a HUGH smirk on your face everytime you hit VTEC.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by noood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't get it..too many ludes out there that are perfect..be patient and find the right car..BTW Preludes are excellent cars!!! Stay away from the auto and the sh
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes (professorman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professorman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And on another note, you DO FEEL the VTEC in the Lude, unlike other Hondas. I hear people in the Teg forums discussing that it is poorly tuned if you feel the boost of the VTEC and it should be a smooth transition, but with the LUDE, you get a HUGH smirk on your face everytime you hit VTEC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

stock... no you dont feel VTEC as much as you kinda hear it, its more noticable when you take out the resonator.

Personally in my 5th gen I didn't start feeling VTEC till I added intake and exhaust. But the stock transition point(as with all stock VTEC) is too high so when the cams switch over the sound in the engine is so different that people sometimes think they are really feeling VTEC because it sounds so much more powerful.

As for the Reliability, When I got my 5th gen, it was pretty worn out I had to clean everything, rotor and cap were on like the dying legs and a few other things but after I swapped that all out, and cleaned up everything I haven't had a major problem with it since, If you dont do anything big to the car you shouldn't have too much problems with it. Just keep up maintenace and you'll be golden, It will eat up oil as stated above but if your not slamming thru intersection in VTEC all the time it's not too back, just check your oil every week or so when ya fill up and just be on top of that.

Quick Reply: Reliability of 5th gen Preludes