Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings?

Quick question for anyone here that has rebuilt a JDM H22A engine:

When tearing the engine apart did you see if the original rod bearings (upper halves) have the oil holes in them?

The reason I ask is because my shop got a customer's JDM H22A already torn down without any bearings, and upon ordering and getting the USDM bearings from Honda the upper rod bearing halves have no oil holes in them - this seems strange.

If anyone could shed some light on this, that'd be great.

We ordered bearings for a 1994 Prelude VTEC, and they seem to fit perfect via plasti-gage but the rods have an oil hole that we think should correspond with a hole in the rod bearing.

Honda insists that there are no rod bearings sold in the U.S (don't know about Japan) with holes.

Also for any of you USDM people have you ever torn your engine apart and seen the upper halves with or without holes?

Thanks in advance, and if you personally don't know if you could at least give me a contact who would know that'd be great, thanks.

Old 09-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (B18C5-EH2)

Thanks for all the help guys.

28 views, zero answers.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (B18C5-EH2)

i think there are only a few people here that have torn down a jdm and usdm h22 motor and would remeber what the rod bearings look like. the prelude forum moves VERY slow sometimes, i know there are people here than can answer you, unfortunatly im not one of them, and i also think people are afraid to give you the wrong answer if they are unsure , 1 because you are a mod, and 2 this is for shop work. I know some one that come on once a week that will probably know. You probably can't wait that long, but the answer is out there. good luck
Old 09-11-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (prelittlelude)

*runs from mods*
Old 09-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (92`Legend)

ok, i actually just rebuilt my JDM H22. the bearings i removed had holes on the main shaft bearings but not on the piston bearings. I cant seem to find my other pics right now but i will post a few of the one that i removed. The bearings that i received ( ACL ) did have holes but they were not in the exact location as the one that i removed.

I also contacted the honda dealer and ACL dealer to see if i some how got the wrong ones. They also told me that they dont believe that the bearings have any holes. I have had mine in only for about 2 weeks and so far they seem to working great. I have included a few pics of the original crank bearings. The pistons bearings actually seemed to be made out of a completely different material. If i can find my other pics i will post them as well.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (CHK4TIX)

Thanks very much.

Yes the mains look like every other mains I've seen before, but the rod bearing sare dark in color and don't look like the normal light colored ones we're used to seeing from Honda.

The mains have hole - the rod bearings do not.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks very much.

Yes the mains look like every other mains I've seen before, but the rod bearing sare dark in color and don't look like the normal light colored ones we're used to seeing from Honda.

The mains have hole - the rod bearings do not.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

my rod bearings actually looked like polished aluminum. they were alot brighter then my mains. When i first saw them they made me wounder if the engine hasnt been opened before.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Real Tech Q For you Guys - JDM vs. USDM Motors - Rod Bearings? (CHK4TIX)

Here is a shot of the F20B crank I used to have, which is h22a basically

And the rod...no holes in the bearings, tough to see here but you kow b/c as there's no line for the oil to travel in..