Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Official H22 Header Dyno Testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official H22 Header Dyno Testing

i have been waiting and doing some research for some time now on all the new custom headers like SMS, hytech, an-r, hotshot, and such. but the only header that i have seen dynoed back to back is an imagineengineering header against a dc header, but unfortunatly it will no fit a prelude. prospeed/an-r promised a dyno but we never saw one. there has been ten SMS headers or so sold but no one has dynoed. i mean come on $1300 for a header but no one wants to know if they got there moneys worth are not. now i know that 93ludevtec has attemptted a dyno but has had difficulties (and i will be happy to drive and meet you pay for the dyno comparison for the JUN and SMS, i will swap the headers and we can get some closure on power results) with drivability issues. no dyno for hytech or hotshot either. these companies want to sell a header for high dollar but are not willing to dyno it. i have seen the SMS dynos also but never a before and after.

what i am trying to get at is we need to do a h22 header test. i am willing to use my car and pay for dyno time. this will obviously have to be an organized event but i am willing and ready. headers will have to be donated to the dyno shop but will be returned. instalation and removal will be professional and care to the headers will be kept a first priority. i dont have any pull or first name basis so to speak with any of these companies so help will be needed to pull this together.

let me know what you think.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:35 PM

Default Re: whats the deal? headers (93preludevtec)

well this is already going good so far we have:

1. JUN
2. SMSP
3. DC
4. .......
5. .......
we will be testing all the headers on my car (see garage for mods) and also 93preludevtec's car which is more midly modified.

we would like to see more involved. we would rather have some high end headers though. no obx or hp or kamakzie and such.

Modified by junbb1 at 10:46 PM 12/21/2003
Old 12-21-2003, 01:39 PM

Default Re: whats the deal? headers (junbb1)

post up any suggetstions you may have for the test and any headers you would like to see tested. we would need the headers to be donated for the test so any volunteers? all removal and installation will be done with great care.

some headers i would like too have involved are

1. mugen
2. 10-94
3. DTR
4. greddy
5. anr/ prospeed
6. hytech
7. ?
also we would also appreciate any donations that could be made for dyno time. Junbb1 (blake) has already decided he would pay for the testing but as this will benefit the prelude community we thought donations could be made to help with the cost. a paypal address will be posted up shortly to for donations to be sent too.

Modified by 93preludevtec at 6:20 PM 12/21/2003
Old 12-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (junbb1)

Blake is a reputable guy so I can vouch for him that any donations sent to him will be strictly used for the dyno testing.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (GudeH23a)

yeah, sorry for the wait. john at hytech is waiting for the final prelude header and exhaust to come back so we can run it. i have with me the mugen that is on my car currently, and the smsp which is yet to be installed also. i hope to be able to get back to back dynos of the sms, hytech, mugen, and stock on my car (jrsc), and on my boyf's n/a lude for you guys - im just waiting for the hytech header.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (GirlNALude)

paypal donations can be sent to behansm@2mawnr.usmc.mil, please post the amount you sent so it can be easily totaled and tracked.

any donations will be used to help with dyno costs and possibly to ship the headers back to any volunteers.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: whats the deal? headers (junbb1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junbb1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we would like to see more involved. we would rather have some high end headers though. no obx or hp or kamakzie and such.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The kamakazi made some pretty good gains on one of my previous motors. It is not shaped like a typical high RPM header but it would still be worth dynoing if you can get ahold of one!

Old 12-21-2003, 04:23 PM

Default Re: whats the deal? headers (2point2)

The H22 kami header does not perform well NA, it wouldn't be worth testing. If I recall correctly, a PO member a couple of years ago tried one and actually lost power over his stock header.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: whats the deal? headers (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The H22 kami header does not perform well NA, it wouldn't be worth testing. If I recall correctly, a PO member a couple of years ago tried one and actually lost power over his stock header.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm surprised.. but i'll take your word for it.

the USDM h22a header looks really crappy?
Old 12-21-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: whats the deal? headers (2point2)

Appologies for not having any dynos regarding it, but that's been the general report on the Kami on H22 engines over the last few years on PO.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the deal? headers (sharkcohen)

this is long overdue fro the h22 engine and the rest of us luders.. All the good comparisons are done on other engines and are of no help.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (junbb1)

This would be great. I really hope it goes down
Definately get a GReddy on there. Maybe one of those Ebay headers too (might as well see what it can do).
Old 12-22-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

both vehicles are 4th gens, mine being a 93 and blakes is a 94 with an extensive jun build done to the engine. you can view his garage to see his mod list.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:59 PM

Default Re: (junbb1)

well the place is set. it will be held at Extreme Velocity performance and testing center in Greenville, SC. it is a mustang dyno where i tune my own car and is a top notch facility.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (93preludevtec)

just donated $10. and I'm poor as hell with my block ripped open and I can't find any oversized typeS pistons that will get to me before FEBRUARY! and I have no job as of last week, and I hate my life without my car, and my girlfriend doesn't know how to give bj's for shjit, but she thinks shes good! ha and i don't know what i'm getting her yet for christmas, i have no friends, my cat died, and I haven't showered in four days...

anyway MY POINT is for u guys to donate to the cause. behansm@2mawnr.usmc.mil

-Alberto
Old 12-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (porkchop)

I am just wondering... Are you planning on giving each header it's own tuned base maps?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (GudeH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GudeH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am just wondering... Are you planning on giving each header it's own tuned base maps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes to some extent. each header will get 3 runs. all runs will be monitored by a motec 5 wire o2 sensor. the only adj. will be to feul pressure to keep all headers around 13.0-13.5 A/F. no cam adjustments. but the car is fully tuned as we speak with the best power being at 0,0 on the cam gears. there will not be any ignition adjustments. i would really like to tune the maximum potential for each header but remember the dyno time is coming out of my pocket. but the more people donate the more tuning will be done.

also thank you porkchop for the 10 bucks
Old 12-23-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (57STS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 57STS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can, add the stock header to the list

</TD></TR></TABLE>

read the whole thread.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (Behan)

hey this would be pretty cool if it could be done. I'd like to see a fujitsubo on the test, I may be able to get you one.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

donated a 5'er for now.

good luck and good work!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Official H22 Header Dyno Testing (satan_srv)

I would definately love to see fujitsubo header as well. Have you guys heard of any jujitsubo exhaust gains? Btw going for job interview in an hour. If all goes well and im not unimployed, I will send money next week.
Old 01-03-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (94vtirozguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94vtirozguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when does all this testing commence ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hopefully the end of jan, beginning of feb. it all depends on the support we get with header donations.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Re: (Behan)

I'm another one that would really like to see the stock one tested as well. Just seems like a better control than just throwing all the aftermarket ones on. Also, I was just skimming the thread, but is there going to be fuel/timming tuning done to each header to max their output on the individual ludes, or are they going to just be put on and run?
Old 01-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (preluda92)

i didnt see the full detail list of the mods of the motor?

pistons, compression, head work? what is the current dyno look like?

If i can see some solid information and if this looks promising and ready:

i ll pay for the bends and have mike a at 10-94.com make one for you guys.

i saw him listed as something that you want to test, this would push this to another one..

plus id help donate for other needs at that time!
Old 01-04-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (KTeller8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KTeller8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt see the full detail list of the mods of the motor?

pistons, compression, head work? what is the current dyno look like?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

posted on his Garage...

full JUN built H22A1 assembled by JUN and bored by JUN of Japan:
JUN cams
JUNsprings and type 2 titanium retainers
JUNcam gears
JUN P&P head
JUN rods
JUN pistons 12.3:1 and 87.25mm bore
JUN UL flywheel
JUN ecu
JUN header