Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

New tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tranny??

So i came to the conclusion i need a new tranny. i bought 3 speed sensors and my tec and mph still does not work...i think the gear in the tranny is broken that spins the speed sensor. Or can this be caused by to much tranny fluid? and if it is broken should i replace the tranny?? and if yes what tranny should i use?? i have a h22a vtec in a 92 prelude si with the japanese computer if this helps
Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New tranny??

No help?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the plug it could be covered in gunk or just not touching the connectors or your cluster is not working.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymus913
So i came to the conclusion i need a new tranny. i bought 3 speed sensors and my tec and mph still does not work...i think the gear in the tranny is broken that spins the speed sensor. Or can this be caused by to much tranny fluid? and if it is broken should i replace the tranny?? and if yes what tranny should i use?? i have a h22a vtec in a 92 prelude si with the japanese computer if this helps
I don't have an answer, but I can tell you that you aren't crazy. I had the stock motor tranny and vss in my accord when I bought it. I did my h22/tranny swap and used my accord vss (which absolutely worked when pulled). No speed registered on the dash...no vtec. I took the vss off my friends prelude just to trouble shoot. With 2 known-working vss's, the tranny just didn't turn the vss.

btw, i double-checked my wiring, and eventually swapped in another transmission a couple weeks later. New transmission turns the same speed sensors..so it is possible that a tranny doesn't turn the vss. why, i don't know? can it be fixed? I would also like to know bc I still have that h22 trans ...lol
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm_rb20
I don't have an answer, but I can tell you that you aren't crazy. I had the stock motor tranny and vss in my accord when I bought it. I did my h22/tranny swap and used my accord vss (which absolutely worked when pulled). No speed registered on the dash...no vtec. I took the vss off my friends prelude just to trouble shoot. With 2 known-working vss's, the tranny just didn't turn the vss.

btw, i double-checked my wiring, and eventually swapped in another transmission a couple weeks later. New transmission turns the same speed sensors..so it is possible that a tranny doesn't turn the vss. why, i don't know? can it be fixed? I would also like to know bc I still have that h22 trans ...lol

Thanks man I appreciate your help...i just wanted to here it from another person. So I live in new jersey, does anyone have a tranny for me?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymus913
Thanks man I appreciate your help...i just wanted to here it from another person. So I live in new jersey, does anyone have a tranny for me?
There ought to be plenty of trannies in New Jersey..lol