Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project!

Hey guys! Some of you may know me from preludepower.com. But i was finally in the mood to post my build up here. As some may know, I boosted my H23 with a T3 super 60 turbo and made 240whp, 230wtq @ 6psi on a bone stock block/head. I pieced the kit together myself. All of my info is going to be posted below with my old and new setup. As of now, my head is fully assembled but JE sent the wrong size piston rings so i got to wait at least another week until my block is put together now.

OLD SETUP:

-Garrett T3 Super 60/.63ar (Out of a nissan)
-2.5" Charge Pipe
-31"x12"x3" LSD Motorsports Intercooler 3" in/out
-TiAL 38mm Wastegate
-Greddy Type-RS BOV
-STR Log Manifold
-2.5" Downpipe with Dump directed into it
-DSM 450's
-Crome Chipped P06 ECU
-Stock Clutch
-2.5" Crush Bent exhaust with High Flow Cat

The original reason for the rebuild was from the massive amounts of blowby i was getting. It was coming out of the edges of my hood and everything. The cause of that was due to destroyed ringlands. Here is a photo of what my block used to look like:

-Turbonetics 52 Trim T04E / T3.63AR
-JE 9:1 Pistons 87.5mm
-Crower Billet Rods
-Darton Flanged Sleeve's
-ARP Main Studs
-ARP Head Studs
-King Main Bearings
-King Rod Bearings
-JE 1.2-1.2-2.8 Rings
-3" Stainless Mandrel Bent Exhaust
-23" Cherrybomb Glasspack
-Apexi N1 Muffler
-ACT HA3-XTG6 Clutch
-JGE Springs and Retainers
-Crower Stage 2 Turbo Camshafts
-Skunk2 Pro Series Cam Gears
-Precision 880cc Injectors
-Street Port and Polish
-Port Matching (int/exh)
-Synapse Turbo Manifold
MISC:
-AC/PS/CC Delete
-Battery Relocation
-Powdercoated Wrinkle Red Valve Cover
-Sterling Silver Coated Exhaust Housing for Turbo
-Innovative Motor Mounts
-Mishimoto Half Radiator

Here some photos of my stuff near completion:

(the middle turbo is mine)

This is what my Dynochart looked like with my first setup, as far as im concerned, at 6psi these are nice numbers.

Here was a 9psi (for fun) run. I leaned out hardcore on my 450's. Not to mention this was off of my 6psi tune. fun stuff.

Anyways, ill be posting my updates and whatnot on here so... Hope you enjoyed my build Ill post up photos of whatever if anyone is interested.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project! (Neonxiii)

Whos doing your work and tuning?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project! (Acidcrakker)

Steve @ Bishop Motorsports. Hes motoxxxman on preludepower.

He will also be doing the tuning.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Small World

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2008, 07:32 PM

Quick question about your old setup...The Tail 38 that you have mounted on the cast manifold, did you have any problems getting it to fit under the hood? Is that a Tail Sport 38mm?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Qveon)

Yeah, it is. No problem at all. It fits in there snug though!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Neonxiii)

nice: good to see your using better parts the second time, be sure to do a boost leak test after you get all your piping made up, i just fixed my leaks and even though they were small it made a huge difference.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good man...keep us up to date.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v8h8)

I love the fact that i have not seen a really clean prelude with a fully built turbo h23. I have spent countless dollars on the right parts, i have spend more than enough money on trying to make it look good too. My valve cover used to be the biggest piece of ****. I also made sure that the exhaust housing of my turbo was coated so that never corroded or anything.

My goal is to have a 400whp street car on pump gas, decent but small sound system and just a clean JDM look. I am doing this for a few reasons, one because i can, 2 because i want to be unique and 3 because i want to show people that you dont need to swap this engine out for an h22. I want to show that the H23 is perfectly capable of making just as much power, maybe a bit more torque mid range and down low.

Someone should do H23 all motor
Old 08-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neonxiii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I love the fact that i have not seen a really clean prelude with a fully built turbo h23. I have spent countless dollars on the right parts, i have spend more than enough money on trying to make it look good too. My valve cover used to be the biggest piece of ****. I also made sure that the exhaust housing of my turbo was coated so that never corroded or anything.

My goal is to have a 400whp street car on pump gas, decent but small sound system and just a clean JDM look. I am doing this for a few reasons, one because i can, 2 because i want to be unique and 3 because i want to show people that you dont need to swap this engine out for an h22. I want to show that the H23 is perfectly capable of making just as much power, maybe a bit more torque mid range and down low.

Someone should do H23 all motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely not unique with that rear lip or front lip. lol. I told u to stay away from that bandwagon. You know u love my side skirts.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bboixtc)

just a few more photos of misc things
Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

*sorry slightly off topic* what type of lip is that on your 4th gen?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h23prelude)

Type-R
Old 08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You mean accord type R. I have the prelude type R
Old 08-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good!

I like the kit, and the car. Whites the best!, white power lol jk

I'm doing a stock block turbo on an h23 at the moment. I wouldn't mind knowing how the fitment was for everything? It appears you have PS still no problem and being its a "log" manifold I think its called, you were able to keep AC as well? I'll be using a log manifold as my desired output isn't huge, nor is my pocket book, and would also like to keep it as a DD with functioning AC and PS. I just recently repaired and recharged my AC and got it running so wouldn't mind keeping it.

Does the proximity of the intercooler cause the cooling capabilities of the car to worsen? I've thought about buying a lower operating thermostat switch to insure the car keeps cool though, to counteract the build up of heat. Any other suggestions though about fan mounting and positioning in order to keep the car running as cool as possible? Does mounting them blowing or drawing make any difference or is there any preference?

As far as running the intercooler piping to the inlet on the driver side, did you have to cut any of the frame or body to sneak that pipe in? I was looking today and couldn't really see much of an opening. Is that pretty much the only way we can run our intercooler piping?

Also as far as the down pipe I only see people selling them for h22s. I'm sure as long as its for a T3/T4 turbo (style I'm using), it will fit either way; but I noticed the bolt pattern on the outlet side of the down pipe is only two bolt. I would hope I could do some fabrication to fit it to my current exhaust (2.5 with cat)? But I would assume I need to remove my Cat and upgrade to 3" all the way back with a free flowing muffler (which would suck because I just had custom 2.5 all the way back done 2 years ago to go along with the collector mod, for I just intended to remain N/A) and just got a wicked vibrant canister style muffler which is still probably/hopefully usable being that when you remove the silencer its 3" anyway, with a custom 2.5 axle over welded onto it.

Also, as far as injectors go, which DSM injectors will fit in a prelude. I would consider buying a used set of DSMs if it would save me a couple hundred. I've seen RC 550s for 350 on eshay-dy (ebay) but I'm only doing 6-7 psi which after running my fuel maps would only need maybe 450 max, and that would keep my duty cycle well out of the 90s even. So I would like to avoid getting new injectors that are simply way over the requirements. My build has no margin for expansion until I blow the motor. In which case the block will get built and I'll have to bight the bullet and buy larger injectors.

Mostly just looking for personal opinions being that your in the process right now on an h23 motor.

Anyways, like I said your car is looking fantastic, and I'm excited to see an h23 turbo'ed.
I also agree with you on the part of theres nothing wrong with the lower reving h23s. They do typically have a touch more torque here and there with making more hp in the lower rpms (stock to stock), which I think makes them a touch more fun to drive in my personal opinion. The h22 though takes me back to driving sports bikes that rev to like 12000-15000. Getting the h22 up to almost 8 grand was slightly smirk inspiring lol especially with the vtec engagement.

Sorry about the long/numerous questions but the non interactive search can only take me so far
Old 08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bboixtc)

nice prelude , i have a 4th gen with a turbo h23 i'm using a piggy back but soon i'm gonna be running 450cc dsm and 255 walbro, with the piggy back i'm pushing 246whp and 230lb tq @8.5 psi i hope with the new set i can increase those #'s
Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jprelude92)

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
looks good!

I like the kit, and the car. Whites the best!, white power lol jk

I'm doing a stock block turbo on an h23 at the moment. I wouldn't mind knowing how the fitment was for everything? It appears you have PS still no problem and being its a "log" manifold I think its called, you were able to keep AC as well? I'll be using a log manifold as my desired output isn't huge, nor is my pocket book, and would also like to keep it as a DD with functioning AC and PS. I just recently repaired and recharged my AC and got it running so wouldn't mind keeping it.

I kept AC/PS/CC and my washer fluid. The only thing i sacrificed (not a big deal) is the power steering cooler. Fitment was fine, it just makes everything cramped is all. Dont think you can turbo the H23 with reliable and decent parts for less than 3500 (tune included with crome)

Does the proximity of the intercooler cause the cooling capabilities of the car to worsen? I've thought about buying a lower operating thermostat switch to insure the car keeps cool though, to counteract the build up of heat. Any other suggestions though about fan mounting and positioning in order to keep the car running as cool as possible? Does mounting them blowing or drawing make any difference or is there any preference?

Not really, if you are using a stock rad just make sure to get 2 high flowing slim fans. Buying another thermostat is not necessary. I mounted mine to draw air in because the turbo basically sits right next to the radiator. One thing i do wish i did before hand is take AC out.. it never worked for my car anyways and that makes 3 radiators, less flow and more crowd in the bay. But its up to you, i never had a problem

As far as running the intercooler piping to the inlet on the driver side, did you have to cut any of the frame or body to sneak that pipe in? I was looking today and couldn't really see much of an opening. Is that pretty much the only way we can run our intercooler piping?

[/b]You can run it out the side, to go into the bumper where the windshield fluid reservoir is, but you either have to A: move it into the bay (which with all the luxuries is a near impossibility) or you cut a bit into the fame (not much at all) to fit the 2.5" piping. Ill see if i can find some pics for you. [/b]

Also as far as the down pipe I only see people selling them for h22s. I'm sure as long as its for a T3/T4 turbo (style I'm using), it will fit either way; but I noticed the bolt pattern on the outlet side of the down pipe is only two bolt. I would hope I could do some fabrication to fit it to my current exhaust (2.5 with cat)? But I would assume I need to remove my Cat and upgrade to 3" all the way back with a free flowing muffler (which would suck because I just had custom 2.5 all the way back done 2 years ago to go along with the collector mod, for I just intended to remain N/A) and just got a wicked vibrant canister style muffler which is still probably/hopefully usable being that when you remove the silencer its 3" anyway, with a custom 2.5 axle over welded onto it.

You will need one custom made. I suggest selling that turbo if you want low boost. Just get a T3 super 60 trim turbo with a .63AR. That is the best turbo for this motor if the block is stock and you plan to run between 6-8psi. Again, if you are running just low psi you dont need 3" exhaust, i ran 2.5" with a high flow cat and i was fine.. it keeps the noise down and sounded fine. You dont need a vibrant or any glasspack muffler. its not going to be loud with an N1 style. like i had.

Also, as far as injectors go, which DSM injectors will fit in a prelude. I would consider buying a used set of DSMs if it would save me a couple hundred. I've seen RC 550s for 350 on eshay-dy (ebay) but I'm only doing 6-7 psi which after running my fuel maps would only need maybe 450 max, and that would keep my duty cycle well out of the 90s even. So I would like to avoid getting new injectors that are simply way over the requirements. My build has no margin for expansion until I blow the motor. In which case the block will get built and I'll have to bight the bullet and buy larger injectors.

DSM 450's are perfect for this. You dont need an upgraded fuel pump or map sensor or anything with that low of boost. 450's lean out at around 10psi. The 450's, between 6-8psi will be around 76-86% duty.

Mostly just looking for personal opinions being that your in the process right now on an h23 motor.

This is round 2 on this motor. I upgraded everything from my previous setup, the only remaining things i have from my old setup is my 31x12x3 intercooler, 2.5" charge pipe, tial 38mm wastegate and my greddy type-rs BOV. I am more than likely going to upgrade to a tial 50mm bov in the near future.

Anyways, like I said your car is looking fantastic, and I'm excited to see an h23 turbo'ed.
I also agree with you on the part of theres nothing wrong with the lower reving h23s. They do typically have a touch more torque here and there with making more hp in the lower rpms (stock to stock), which I think makes them a touch more fun to drive in my personal opinion. The h22 though takes me back to driving sports bikes that rev to like 12000-15000. Getting the h22 up to almost 8 grand was slightly smirk inspiring lol especially with the vtec engagement.

I still think the H22 is more fun to drive, i had an h22 prelude before this one. I am just saying that there is absolutly nothing wrong with the h23, and with the proper parts (without touching the sleeves/rods/pistons) the h23 can perform just as well as the h22. And, honestly, i think the h23 is a lot better to turbo for a street car.

Sorry about the long/numerous questions but the non interactive search can only take me so far
Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot.

That sucks about the down pipe. Do I atleast by the part that attaches to the exhaust turbine (outlet for exhaust) and than have custom 3" welded after that to my stock exhaust setup?

Cheers
Old 08-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (mattsnooz)

Always nice to see another built H23
Old 08-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (Dr.Colossus)

Can't wait to see the finished product Travis
Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

subscribed!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project! (LukieLuc)

Haha, thanks for the subscription. I know many on preludepower are drooling over this build. I definitely cant even wait...

UPDATE: One of the piston rings went missing.. raceeng called me but we got it all figured out. the missing one will arrive there on friday.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it would be nice to know the clearances of the engine. Do you plan on adding anything besides pretty pictures? A build thread should consist of how you did something and why with detailed documentation explaining it.

don't get me wrong, i am excited to see the end of this but this isnt the place to just post pictures for people to "drool" over. Give the thread some meaning for being in a tech forum
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project! (98vtec)

Hah, alright Blake. Ill do my best. If anyone has any questions ill be more than happy to answer them. Im sort of just not sure where to start. Clearances of the engine? I wont know that until its in.

It is, however, just the beginning.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
moderator emeritus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i mean like bearing clearances, piston-to-wall....etc

If you had the engine blueprinted, you should be able to obtain these specifications and post them up.

How about a compressor map for the turbo you are using?

the how to's of a build thread are what is to be expected when you post in a tech forum.

i really hope you end up going with a better engine management.

Quick Reply: neonxiii's Fully Built H23 Turbo 4th gen project!