Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

need help with starting 98 Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with starting 98 Prelude

Picked up a 98 Prelude with an H22A4, got a good deal since it had broken ball joint and CV axle, with the "slight" inconvenience that it doesnt start. I figured to take a gamble on it since it had an aftermarket alarm system that someone had halfassed out of the car. I figured if I remove the alarm properly, reconnect all the wires that were cut for the alarm, it should fire right up..............I was wrong.

Now I am having trouble starting the car. The starter turns the motor but it never fires. Here is what I have done so far:

- CEL light cycles properly when key turned. (comes on, stays lit for ~2 seconds, then goes off)
- Fuel pump primes properly (I also loosened nut at input of fuel rail banjo and fuel makes it to there while priming)
- Green key light on dash works properly, goes off before attempting to start car (compared this to my running accord, both key lights act exactly the same)
- MAIN relay is good, I pulled it out and put it in my accord, then started accord. Also grabbed main relay from running accord and tried it in prelude, no change.

- New parts:
-- Coil
-- Cap
-- Rotor
-- Plugs
-- ICM
(plug wires tested good according to the service manual specs)

- G101 grounds properly
- motor is grounded good
- battery is fully charged (took battery out and charged overnight before even starting to work on the car)
- Injectors not firing per NOID light test in starting cycle (also cant feel solenoids in the injectors "click" when feeling injectors in starting cycle)
- opened ECU and nothing seems burnt
- checked codes using blue jumper right next to OBD socket by passenger floor board, when blue plug is jumped CEL stayed solid, no flashes, nothing.

Im kind of at a loss, where do I go from here??

Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: need help with starting 98 Prelude

Have you confirmed that the injector power leads have 12V+ on them when ign. is in run and start?

If they do then the problem is the ECU, or injector lead, connections to it, make sure both IGP1&2 at ECU have 12V+ on them when ign. is in run and start. 94
Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fcm
Have you confirmed that the injector power leads have 12V+ on them when ign. is in run and start?

If they do then the problem is the ECU, or injector lead, connections to it, make sure both IGP1&2 at ECU have 12V+ on them when ign. is in run and start. 94
I have not verified at the actual injector, but since the power is coming from main relay, I should be good cause that's working correctly. I will verify that it has power at the actual injectors.

I have verified that igp1&2 are getting 12v, as well as that the ground pins are getting ground.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar problem with all new parts. No spark and fuel making it to the banjo bolt.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having a similar problem with all new parts. No spark and fuel making it to the banjo bolt.