Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Motivate me to buy a prelude

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motivate me to buy a prelude

i currently own a 2000 civic Si (cdn model so a civic EX for the americans). I'm thinking about selling the car and buying one with a little more torque. i notice that i really have the rev the crap out of the car if i have 2 friends in it just to get it to move. i'm not totally into racing and i want it more for just crusing with and going out.

As for engine mods i probably wouldn't go too far with it...I/H/E.....my true love is music so i would be putting a stereo in there...it would only consist component speakers, 2 amps and 1 sub but it does get rather heavy.

to all the 5th gen lude owners here can you list some of the pro's and cons of the prelude and how well it would suit my needs.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (EBP_SI)

Well from what I have seen, it handles nice, really tossable , but torque steer is plain annoying ...the brakes are moderate at best , unless you spend a few dollars and upgrade 'em ...it looks great, stock compared to any civic ...

...as for the real negatives..its slow ...really slow ...the interior is crappy ..ergonomics are good , but over all it looks cheap , no leather ....all this said when compared to a civic all the above points are mute...but when compared to a other cars the lude is moderate...hell even the accord has a nicer interior..but the accord is nowhere near as nice of a car IMO

stock sound is not the worst, but who keeps it stock anyway

all said in done..I still love the lude, just like I love Jessica...performace, looks, and interior are not everything...its what reaction you have to the car. If I see a 7 on the road, I am always like yeah! great! sweet! to this day..if you love the car get it if you can..if you love a civic (IMO, :yuk: ) then go for it.

[Modified by Auraraptor, 10:33 PM 10/6/2002]
Old 10-06-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (Auraraptor)

you sure dont have a lot of great things to say about a car you supossedly "love" .

A 5th gen Prelude would be a great step up from your Civic Si (USDM EX). You'll enjoy much much more power, good handling, a solid and quieter ride, more luxury. It is also a good car to build a nice sound system in due to having less road noise and a quieter cabin in general. If you can afford it, go for it. 4th gen Preludes are also very nice and you may want to consider them also.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:53 PM
New User

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (Mike95lude)

::boost it:: if all else fails then buy a beamer.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:02 PM

Well, going from an EX Civic to the Prelude would be a huge difference I don't think you'll regret, at all. In comparison to the Civic, the Prelude is almost one up one most features...but not all. As far as the interiors being crappy, I don't know about all of that. I'm not too fond of 4th gen interiors, but they are nice, as are the 5th gens. I think you'd like it, and it will definitely feel a lot peppier even with a couple buddies riding with ya.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (typeSwarrior)

you sure dont have a lot of great things to say about a car you supossedly "love" .
The car doesnt have to be a performer to loved....

We As far as the interiors being crappy, I don't know about all of that. I'm not too fond of 4th gen interiors, but they are nice, as are the 5th gens.
All in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a 4th Gen and own a 5th Gen now and love(d) them both. Interior is quite nice yes, but if you want better I agree in getting a beamer You want torque? dont buy a Honda... unless you go turbo

As far as stereo easy as pie - lots of clearance for any normal size din head unit, 6x9 holes in the back with lotsa clearance, 6 1/2" in the doors (not as much celarance, but very easy to fix). The trunk opening kinda sucks for getting a sub box in there... I have a 3 cu. ft box with JL 12's that fit perfectly in my 4G lude but it doesnt fit the 5G Also running cables along the door frames or center console is easy.

If you can find a 5G lude cheap then get it. Great car - if you're loaded then get a bmw 3 series or infiniti G35 coupe
Old 10-06-2002, 08:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (preylude)

drive one...
Old 10-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (preludeboy)

h22a...need i say more
Old 10-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, there's actually a guy here in town that's planning on buying a Civic Si... he's trying to sell his '00 Mustang GT.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (del_parker)

LOL, there's actually a guy here in town that's planning on buying a Civic Si... he's trying to sell his '00 Mustang GT.
What's wrong with that guy???? LMAO...Well that's not too uncommon, I mean I just had a guy offer me a trade for my Prelude for his Mustang GT, late 90s model just before the newest ones. I told him no of course, just cuz I am needing cash
Old 10-06-2002, 11:46 PM

Buy a 4th gen!!!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:08 AM

GO test drive a 4th gen vtec, you WILL buy it.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I sold my civic EX to buy my prelude about a year ago. I couldn't be more happy with my decesion. I agree with Type S Warrior. I have no problem hauling 4 of my buddies around in my car and I was recently on 19 in rims (now 16'' stockers). Even before the supecharger i didn't have any problems hauling anyone around.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (NCH22driver)

I have always been attracted to the 4th Gen Preludes but were not too big on their performance. However after i drove my friends 4th Gen with an H23 swap I was pretty impressed. So he started looking for a car for me and found a 4th Gen Lude with an H22A1. And I bought it and love it. The Leather interior in the 4th Gen VTEC fits like a glove, the dash looks like a cockpit, and the bodies are just plain mean looking. And as far as performance, what can I say its an H22A1 with 190hp. And I plan on modding the hell out of it (TURBO).
Old 10-07-2002, 09:09 AM

i'd get a used prelude, and mod it up crazy!
i owned a 93 vtec prior to my 5th gen and i must say, the 93 lude had a lil more ooomph..... mad for the ludes
Old 10-07-2002, 09:53 AM

The only way, i am going to motivate you, is that just know that we are aon the endangered species list. And + its a Prelude..you know
Old 10-07-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (justanotherlude)

I was pretty serious about getting an SI before i got my prelude but the more u think about it its still a civic body. A prelude looks a lot better and if u just wanted a car to cruise in i think it would be a much better car than an SI. But 5th gen preludes have high resale value so ur looking to spend about 16-23g's for one with under 50k miles depending on the year (97-01). With that money i would rather get a GSR then use the extra money to get TypeR spoiler ($125) with rims (1g) and lower it ($100). That would look nice.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you commonly carry two friends, I would NOT advise you to get a Prelude, unless one of them is a double amputee or you really hate them. I will probably catch some flak for this, but if I were you, I'd consider a GS-R sedan.

And for the record, I'm a former 5th gen Prelude owner.

Paul
Old 10-07-2002, 10:44 AM
doe

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (tec-9-7)

have you looked at how beautiful these cars are?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (doe)

since you are in canada, get the SE model. Looks just like a SH but with leather and no ATTS.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (preludeboy)

drive one...
I second that.. thats what convinced me to buy a prelude.. i test drove it.. and fell in love...
Old 10-07-2002, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (LordVtec)

thanks for the input guys...

i'm looking for a newer one actually...ie 00-01 because i don't want one with high Kms (My SI just hit 30k last week) and one thats in great condition. I think i'm going to save up some money over the winter and start look for one in the spring time.

i really like the 4G ludes but a friend of mine has one so i don't want to copy him.

as for the GSR sedan....no.....i'll never buy a 4 door or at least until i have kids....just my preference though. If my friends complain about the space in the back they can walk or buy their own car.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:34 PM

i dont see why anyone should try to motivate you.......if you want your civic, kep it. if you want a prelude, get one. they are both nice cars. prelude is more luxurious, but only you can decide whats more important. everyone on th ebopard has an opinion, but it doesnt matter when it comes to buying your own car. go look at them and buy what you want.......not what everyone else wants. there is no motivation.......its just whether you want something or not. very simple
Old 10-07-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Motivate me to buy a prelude (97Prelude)

With that money i would rather get a GSR then use the extra money to get TypeR spoiler ($125) with rims (1g) and lower it ($100). That would look nice.

Quick Reply: Motivate me to buy a prelude