Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Legend GS CALIPER BRACKETS on Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legend GS CALIPER BRACKETS on Prelude

I've done my research about the brake upgrade and the difference between Legend rotors and caliper brackets, and I know they're 28mm thick versus the Prelude's 23mm rotors. I'm in the process of buying Legend GS calipers and they come with the brackets already, but I have a '94 Si so I need new brackets regardless. So my question is, is that extra 5mm too big if I use the Legend caliper brackets? I really don't want to order Vtec brackets if I don't need too. My educated guess is no, because it only adds about an extra 1/16 inch of space to either side of the rotor, and the new pads should be thick enough not be an issue. But my only concern is when the pads get worn. Any idea if that extra 5mm is too much? Thanks
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Legend GS CALIPER BRACKETS on Prelude

Well the 5mm will be 2.5mm on each side, as you said 1/16". Have you kept your old brake pads? Are you good enough on your brake service to catch the pads before they get too thin? Generally the rule of thumb is change the pads when the thickness is less than the backing plate. That should keep you safe.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the reason I'm doing the swap is because my brakes now are nuked, like metal on metal lol. But I bought the car over a year ago and never checked them. So if I know they're new, I'm sure I won't have an issue. I just gotta remember to check them after like 30k miles
Old 06-16-2019, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Of course if anyone still sold the 28mm thick rotors this wouldn't be an issue. All I've ever been able to find are the 23mm rotors, even for the Legend GS itself. I imagine if the aftermarket has dropped the thicker rotor for the same application it can't be too serious an issue.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Raybestos 96364R is 28mm.

Why buy Legend calipers if you're not going to use the larger rotor?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ross2004
Raybestos 96364R is 28mm.

Why buy Legend calipers if you're not going to use the larger rotor?
Because the amount of time it takes to woo a lady friend is inversely proportional to the number of pistons in the front calipers.

In all seriousness it spreads the force better over the brake pad and looks cooler. Also the legend and all vtec equipped preludes use the same diameter rotor it's just the legend used a 5mm thicker rotor than any prelude.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I know, I have them. I run them specifically for the added thickness for better heat management. The twin piston is just an added perk. I couldn't imagine doing 90% of the work necessary to swap rotors and not going ahead with the Legend rotor for only $50 more.