Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

JDM H23A Vtec Blue Top Mystery Motor, True Facts, Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 03:13 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: JDM H23A Vtec Blue Top Mystery Motor, True Facts, Questions?

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
In the first post is a graphic compiled by ESP. H22A4 looks like the right belt.

I never knew this about the crankshafts. Sweet.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bense
There's some here: Distributor Adapters

I've bought one of these before. But most of the time whenever I get one of these engines, I take the otherwise useless RHD engine harness, and clip some of the plugs. I usually just wind up making my own conversion harness. I got a box or two of old harnesses, Cheaper, quicker, and more versatile for me to make my own than get one of those RYWire adapters.

Hadn't browsed the rywire site since 2014. Hard to believe anyone would spend $1200 for a harness. But I'm sure they're listed on his site for a reason. More power to him.
Yea 1200 for a harness sounds really wild! You're totally right about just making your own harness. Thanks again for the info!
Old 09-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hello guys, i got my 96 accord ex coupe with a jdm h23a blue top of the ch9 and the MT of the f22b1, first i got issues bcause the pcf ecu was AT and all that, recently buy it a PCD-014 ECU of the accord euro r engine (h22a4) , works fine, both are obd2b Ecus, so it fits , runs smooth daily driven, the vtec kicks in 5.8 rpm, but my question is , is there any diference o trouble whit the IAB???? some people says the IAB is Mechanics-electronics device, other that only works whit the vacuum, other that the IAB will not work fine when the vtec kick in, the engine is bone stock.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I simply used h22 vacuum solenoid that was on the fuel rail on the JDM engines. It was a simple 2 wire connection and had a vacuum nipple. I would hook up nipple to the IAB boost valve. I would ground 1 wire to the fuel rail and other spliced into vtec. This is if I wanted to keep secondaries. So when vtec kicked... secondaries would open.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys
I have a H23A Vtec Blue Top for my h2b and right now I am having a coolant issue.
When I changed the thermostat replaced it with one from 95- 2001 Accord/Prelude, this past Saturday I started to bleed the cooling system and noticed that bottom hose will not get hot but top hose would but fans will not come on.
I have tested the fans with my Hondata s300 and they both work.
So thinking that it was the thermostat I then changed it for an s2000 one as suggest on the first page of this thread now bottom hose got a little warm but then motor was overheating and fans still will not come on.
Can it def be the thermostat or can it be the ECT or Thermo Switch sensor?
Or what else should I check?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id raise front of the car way up and re do the coolant...hope for an air bubble.... but yes h22 thermo is smaller than h23v blue top one which uses the s2000 one. Was it eating coolant before?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ESP.net
Id raise front of the car way up and re do the coolant...hope for an air bubble.... but yes h22 thermo is smaller than h23v blue top one which uses the s2000 one. Was it eating coolant before?
Ok I will def try that. With the Accord/Prelude thermo coolant was heating up but I also did have the car jacked up a bit higher than I did when I installed the s2 thermo.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds to me like you have a bad fan switch. Its not telling them when to come on. try jumping the connector with a paper clip if the fans kick in thats your problem.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blazindominican
sounds to me like you have a bad fan switch. Its not telling them when to come on. try jumping the connector with a paper clip if the fans kick in thats your problem.
Well the fans come on now but bottom hose still cold, I am going pull the thermostat and do the boiling water test see if it works

Old 11-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Trial User

I read the conversation in regards to the H23A Blue top. It seams that there's more to this mystery about this motor. It just so happens that I am currently working on the rebuild and engine swap of a rare H23A DOHC VTEC 5 speed manual. There weren't many of these H23 5 speeds made. But if you do just a little more researching in the right place, you will find that in 1998, the SiR-T wagon as well as a rumored factory build 217hp Prelude had both factory installed H23A Blue tops with a 5 speed manual transmissions. But this rare combination of engine and tranny do exist.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Up links to this theory that the Prelude and SIR-T wagon came in Manual with H23V BT because I have yet to see any hint of this anywhere?

2nd Note do you know how Freaking Valuable a Manual H AWD transmission would be and cost lol.... if it were true people would be doing the H AWD swap in a blink of an eye on Prelude or Accords....
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 AM
Trial User

No it did not!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Trial User

Can someone please tell me the overall Length Width Height of the H23A head PLEASE! I can't find this info anywhere!

I'm going to buy a Billet Titanium raw block and have it machined into a Reverse H23A head made to line up with a F23 Block The combustion and intake chambers are going to get a special ceramic coating to increase air flow speed reduce turbulence and reduce heat absorption no hot spots no pre-det! The valves will be over sized it will have extra deck cooling be able to take a k-series intake. To be fair this will be a custom head the Intake and exhaust chambers are going to be redesigned biased off flow bench simulations. Intake on the front of the motor, exhaust out the back. I might design custom cams to try to make the rev line as high as possible. The intended setup will be Forced induction ITB's dual injector High rev High CR can run on any fuel. I'm going to build a custom Frankenstein Raspberry Pi & Hondata ecu with a stock h23 vtec ecu thrown in for good measure. I'll be creating all kinds of custom sensors cameras all over the car cell service dedicated to the car I might create a 24/7 live channel on you tube full exposure no censorship or editing, live interaction tracking... suggestions? hell i'll give it AI it will be alive! Platform 91 CRX! pic of it's current stock state coming soon.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CRsexG23
Can someone please tell me the overall Length Width Height of the H23A head PLEASE! I can't find this info anywhere!

I'm going to buy a Billet Titanium raw block and have it machined into a Reverse H23A head made to line up with a F23 Block The combustion and intake chambers are going to get a special ceramic coating to increase air flow speed reduce turbulence and reduce heat absorption no hot spots no pre-det! The valves will be over sized it will have extra deck cooling be able to take a k-series intake. To be fair this will be a custom head the Intake and exhaust chambers are going to be redesigned biased off flow bench simulations. Intake on the front of the motor, exhaust out the back. I might design custom cams to try to make the rev line as high as possible. The intended setup will be Forced induction ITB's dual injector High rev High CR can run on any fuel. I'm going to build a custom Frankenstein Raspberry Pi & Hondata ecu with a stock h23 vtec ecu thrown in for good measure. I'll be creating all kinds of custom sensors cameras all over the car cell service dedicated to the car I might create a 24/7 live channel on you tube full exposure no censorship or editing, live interaction tracking... suggestions? hell i'll give it AI it will be alive! Platform 91 CRX! pic of it's current stock state coming soon.
or just do K-swap..............
Old 06-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got done reading the entire thread. Lots of good info. (yeah I know it's an old thread)

One thing I am trying to understand about the H23A VTEC is that all of the information on the CARS, say that they are AWD auto wagons but when I look at H23A motors for sale at JDM importers, allmost all of the are FWD auto cars.

Is there another version of the accord (FWD H23A VTEC AUTO) that they came from that I missed.

The following users liked this post: