Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intermittent no start

Hey guys... I've got a lil problem that's been bothering me for a while. I've got a 93 prelude Si with an H22A swap. I had not real problems with it till the weather started getting warmer. Could be coincidence but idk....

On a random day, mostly on hot summer days, I'll walk out to my prelude and it won't start. It'll crank it's heart out but won't fire. Usually I just shoot some starting fluid in the intake and it'll struggle but start up. Today I had a tough time to fire it up even WITH the starting fluid; only starting after mashing the gas pedal. Today I took my Fuel pressure gauge off my other car and it's reading 32 psi at idle and if I tap the accelerator it'll jump up to about 42 like it normally would. I don't know if fpr's are supposed to do this but if I just open the throttle body really slow it'll stay right at 33 ish psi.

It's been feeling groggy lately. spark plugs are fine. no CELs. New fuel filter. Have ran seafoam through it. No other problems accept this random occurance. What makes it eve WEIRDER is after I get it started, my Brake Lamp, the one that comes on if you've got a burnt out third brake light bulb, stays on for a while and the car seems to bog more than usual. park it, come back later and it's fine.

Possible problem??
Fuel pressure regulator... don't have any extra laying around so I can't test another...
Fuel pump.... $157 bucks if I feel like trying it...
MAIN RELAY... suggested by a guy on the prelude forum..
Computer.... eesh... hope not!!

any help would be great. thanks!