Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

im in a predicament... my h22's crank is screwed up :( need opinions/options on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im in a predicament... my h22's crank is screwed up :( need opinions/options on what to do

so today i get a call from my mechanic who just attempted putting my thrust bearings into my h22a1 (yesh i found out that it is usdm... not jdm) well it turns out that the old thrust bearings have dug into the crankshaft and basically made that h22 crank unusable.

so realizing that a new crankshaft would be quite a pretty penny... ive thought of some options and talked to the more experienced mechanics at the dealer.

so here are my options:

1. have the h22 crank shaved/cut in the damaged area and use a wider washer to compensate for the newly acquired space.

2. put my h23 crank, rods and use TypeS pistons in the h22 block (greyout wrote a brief how to on another forum... so theres more to it than what ive said i just dont feel like typing it out)

3. other?

im sooo disappointed now b/c the swap day has been pushed back even further

btw, i dont want to put the h22 head on the h23 block... so dont suggest that

also, what is "shot-peening" and where would i buy a set of TypeS pistons?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: im in a predicament... my h22's crank is screwed up :( need opinions/options on what to do (crdc

oh and if i were to chose option #2... would that be reliable?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: im in a predicament... my h22's crank is screwed up :( need opinions/options on what to do (crdc

shot peening is where they shoot a bunch of little ***** at your rods or whatever, the ***** reduce stress points so that they are much stronger. most machine shops can have it done for you.

i would personally go with whichever one is cheapest. haha.

Whoojong
Old 07-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

go with option 2 , h23 vtec, you will be happy in the end, and just don't rev it to high,
Old 07-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

btw, i dont want to put the h22 head on the h23 block... so dont suggest that

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if you don't want to do that, scratch off Option 2. You do realize that the H22 and H23 blocks are the same, right??

*EDIT* You would be better off putting the head on the H23 block if you choose option 2. It makes it easier to sell H22 blocks than H23 blocks. Just a thought.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do # 2
Old 07-06-2004, 11:51 AM

If you take an H23 crank out of and h23 and put it into an h22 you will have wasted your time because the blocks are identical, just put some type-s pistons in your h23 and drop the h22 head on their... and then have fun...
Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam1am26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you take an H23 crank out of and h23 and put it into an h22 you will have wasted your time because the blocks are identical, just put some type-s pistons in your h23 and drop the h22 head on their... and then have fun...</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you guys are saying...

that i put my h22 head on my h23 block, put the h22 pistons (could i use the stock h22 pistons? new pistons are not in the budget but could be worked in if absolutely needed.) on the h23 rods and that would be the same as using the h22 block?

isnt that what people keep doing? or do they just put the h22 head on the h23 block and thats it?

would i still achieve a "stroked" motor if i used the h23 block? i assume yes, b/c you say that the blocks are identical... but i always thought the h23 pistons were bigger or something?

im mildly confused
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

92-96 H22 block and 92-96 H23 blocks are EXACTLY the same. The internals in the two blocks are different.

Using H23 rods with USDM H22 pistons should be fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AndyD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">92-96 H22 block and 92-96 H23 blocks are EXACTLY the same. The internals in the two blocks are different.

Using H23 rods with USDM H22 pistons should be fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and that would create the aformentioned "stroker engine"?

i just dont want to have my engine broken more often than it is running.

if i used my h23 block would i have to get the rods and crank balanced? or could i just stick the h22 pistons on the h23 rods, put the h22 head on and call it a day?

when other people ask "how do i build an h23vtec" what exactly do they do differently?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:53 PM

The cheaper option will be to have the thrust surface on the crank cut and a thicker washer used; IF they make a thicker washer!

The more fun way would be to drop in the H23 crank, H23 rods, H22 pistons and build an H23 VTEC. Only problem is that to do this correctly, you will need to have the bottom end balanced, and a little more machine work.

I just don't see how the thrust surface got mangled; I've never seen that problem in a Prelude motor before!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: (LudeyKrus)

sorry to burst on ur thread but if since everyone is sayn that the h22 is the same pretty much as the h23,i have a question what if the h22 was bored to 89mm wit h23 crank h23rods and type s pistons, would it be a 11:1 almost 2.4 liter? or would it be a 2.4 liter just curious
Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: (Morhpeous)

i'd start looking around for a used crank. sell the type s pistons and use that money if you're concerned about money.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelittlelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go with option 2 , h23 vtec, you will be happy in the end, and just don't rev it to high,</TD></TR></TABLE>

wurd, #2. get it balanced, tuned, lower the vtec engagement,
and proceed to blow doors off, just be smart with it and it should last
Old 07-06-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (Morhpeous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Morhpeous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry to burst on ur thread but if since everyone is sayn that the h22 is the same pretty much as the h23,i have a question what if the h22 was bored to 89mm wit h23 crank h23rods and type s pistons, would it be a 11:1 almost 2.4 liter? or would it be a 2.4 liter just curious</TD></TR></TABLE>

firstly you can only bore the stock sleeves .25 over. and the type s pistons are only offered in standard and .25 over. so getting an 89mm bore would require resleeving
Old 07-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: (PreIudeSI)

i dont have any type S pistons

you guys are helping out a lot. i appreciate this

dont stop tho... i still wanna hear more about option #2

i called a machine shop and they said that they would shot peen the rods and balance the entire reciprocating assembly for $450 and they are a quality shop (another local shop that my dad deals with uses them for the machine work and such). my mechanic was happy to hear that price but i was a lil bit discouraged... but like i said, if this stroker would be reliable as long as im smart with it then ill work the machine work into the budget
Old 07-06-2004, 09:14 PM

Default Re: (crdcz03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they would shot peen the rods and balance the entire reciprocating assembly </TD></TR></TABLE>

I say do that and use the h23 crank/rods with h22 pistons...
Old 07-06-2004, 09:45 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Sam1am26)

i had to find a new crankshaft recently too, i ended up having to pay for a complete shortblock in order to find one...

i say option two too.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:26 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

Default Re: (CD8)

since my pistons are pressed on (on the h22a1 engine) does anyone know where i can buy a set of stock h22 pistons? or jdm type S pistons? how expensive are either of those usually?

i feel as if im going to dig my own debt hole

i think i just want stock h22a1 pistons just b/c i have a feeling they'll be cheaper
Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (crdcz03)

i just bought some type s w/ honda rings for about 380.

i have no idea about the h22a1 pistons, http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com lists them for 47 ea.

and i just sold a set of h22a pistons for 60 bux shipped... just to give you an idea on price.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CD8)

Here is a good thread to help you choose the right pistons for the H23VTEC. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=897315
Old 07-08-2004, 06:50 AM

well it turns out that the old thrust bearings have dug into the crankshaft and basically made that h22 crank unusable.

What is the cause of this? Was it caused by a stiff pressure plate, is it a common with H series?
Old 07-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

ill take pics tonight...

i dunno exactly what caused it... but it also did damage to the mains and rod bearings a lil bit

i shalt keep joo all updated. thanks for all your help thus far
Old 07-08-2004, 06:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crdcz03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill take pics tonight...

i dunno exactly what caused it... but it also did damage to the mains and rod bearings a lil bit

i shalt keep joo all updated. thanks for all your help thus far </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn it sounds like this motor was whooped on. if it did damage to the main and rod bearings i would be looking to kill the person who sold it to you.

are the main and rod surfaces on the crank messed up at all? did the thrust washer dig into the block at all? everytime ive seen them dig into something its usually the block rather then the crank since aluminum is a hell of a lot easier to dig into then steel. if it dug into the block you best bet would be to throw the whole thing in the garbage. even if you did get the mains line bored you would have the thrust washer probably sticking into the main bearing area. i would also question with that much damage all over is the crank even true anymore? the rod bolts are probably shot as well as the rods probably being weakened.

seriously that bottom end sounds like a nightmare. just get your h23 bottom end rebuilt and use that with the vtec head you have which i hope isnt trashed either. get some new bearings, get the h23 rods shotpeened and rebushed to accept the type s pistons and call it the day. its a hell of a lot better then having to get the h22 line bored, use an oversized thrust washer, having the cranks bearings surfaces ground yadda yadda yadda
Old 07-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Fortune Cookie Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by plnoldrick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn it sounds like this motor was whooped on. if it did damage to the main and rod bearings i would be looking to kill the person who sold it to you.

are the main and rod surfaces on the crank messed up at all? did the thrust washer dig into the block at all? everytime ive seen them dig into something its usually the block rather then the crank since aluminum is a hell of a lot easier to dig into then steel. if it dug into the block you best bet would be to throw the whole thing in the garbage. even if you did get the mains line bored you would have the thrust washer probably sticking into the main bearing area. i would also question with that much damage all over is the crank even true anymore? the rod bolts are probably shot as well as the rods probably being weakened.

seriously that bottom end sounds like a nightmare. just get your h23 bottom end rebuilt and use that with the vtec head you have which i hope isnt trashed either. get some new bearings, get the h23 rods shotpeened and rebushed to accept the type s pistons and call it the day. its a hell of a lot better then having to get the h22 line bored, use an oversized thrust washer, having the cranks bearings surfaces ground yadda yadda yadda</TD></TR></TABLE>

the block is ok. the mechanic was worried about the block too but there isnt any damage.

and ill be shot peening the h23 rods and balancing the crank, rods, pistons, flywheel, and the crank pulley all at the same time. also will be bushing the rods to fit the type S pistons.

im about to post pics of the damage with a lil MS paint editing to show damage heh

Quick Reply: im in a predicament... my h22's crank is screwed up :( need opinions/options on what to do